Contribute
Register

Mac OS on Intel DH57JG + GeForce 8400 GS (solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Installation on Intel DH57JG Mini ITX (Core i3 530)

the system did not like to reboot

"NVenabler could nnot be loaded..." or something like this.

it concearns nvidia card, yes? but what is it?

I reapead now the install and try to install the chameleon after the first complete boot with fresh mac os. we will see..

i manged to install chameleon RC4 Boot Loader (RC4 + Boothink) correctly, but when i boot the boot loader is there but then when i press enter the pc restarts.

when i use tonys pc pc will start mac os without problems.

is something with busratio=22? how can I fix it? Pls. help.

Sounds like when you are booting using "tony pc", you are using the modified kernel, but when you are booting via HD/Chameleon you are using the normal kernel - which does not support the i Series processors.

Certainly the 10.6.0 kernel does not support any i-series processors, and only from 10.6.2 does the new standard kernel support i5-750, i7 Series. Not sure about whether 10.6.2/3 kernel supports i3 or the dual core i5s, I guess it does, but there's probably info somewhere on this site to be sure about that.

You need to copy over the kernel from tony boot CD to your root partition. Sorry, not sure of the process as theres various versions of tony's installers (I just do it all manually..I guess I'd better check out these installers soon!!), am surprised it does not do it automatically, but perhaps there's a checkbox you need to tick when running Tony's installer / installation configuration utilities.

You also need to ensure that the kernel name in the com.apple.Boot.plist file is same as the kernel you are wanting to boot with. Again, I figure that's automatic set OK via the installer, default is mach_kernel. If you've changed name of the hacked kernel then you'd need to specify that (eg: mach_P55 etc) either in the .boot.plist or manually at each boot at the chameleon boot prompt (by typing in the name; useful if you are playing around with multiple kernels).

For me, I found busratio=xx is optional during the initial install and use in 10.6.0, and not needed at all once upgraded to 10.6.2/3.

Before I do all this procedure: I could first boot with tonis CD, start osx and upgrade it to 10.6.3 with his Combo update and it could work? what do you think?

Additianal question: how to set in chameleon automatic boot after "X" seconds? I do not like always to wait and press enter.

Hi Snow,

Ermm, yes, I think I recall reading on the blog that it's possible to boot into working 10.6.0, then upgrade. In theory it'll work.

However, you do run the risk that smth breaks which would be a lot of hassle to fix, you'd be into terminal/single user land.

I'd either follow Tony's guide 100%, or build it up slowly (ie: DIY) with bare min needed to boot off HD in 10.6.0 (fakesmc, DSDT, smbios.plist etc) then you know what kexts you added or may need to remove when upgrading (EDIT: removed to avoid further confusion!). Just depends on whether you want to play & understand what's going on under the hood, or just have a (hopefully) no-hassle experience.
I favor the DIY approach, esp if you have a graphics card that is not known to be a 100% "just works" one.

To change Chameleon options, you need to edit the com.Boot.apple.plist in /Extra.
Chameleon release notes (from Chameleon web site, or I think in the case you used Tony's iso, Asere's web site for AsereBLNv1.19 spin on Chameleon) has read me's showing all the options available. Specifically, in the .plist you can change the Timeout value for the countdown, or remove the relevant <key> <string> lines entirely.

But until the installation is all nice and working, I'd keep the timer as-is, so you can more easily dive into verbose boot etc in case of problems.

humph said:
I'd either follow Tony's guide 100%, or build it up slowly (ie: DIY) with bare min needed to boot off HD in 10.6.0 (fakesmc, DSDT, smbios.plist etc) then you know what kexts you added or may need to remove when upgrading (EDIT: removed to avoid further confusion!). Just depends on whether you want to play & understand what's going on under the hood, or just have a (hopefully) no-hassle experience.
I favor the DIY approach, esp if you have a graphics card that is not known to be a 100% "just works" one..

i do not like much hassle. my goal is to get it working. the many guides of tony confuse me as a beginner. so what do you suggest:

NEW INSTALL GUIDE FOR ANY CORE i3/i5/i7
1. Install OS X
4. Boot With CD
5. Upon 1st boot, setup OS X and get to desktop
6. Download and run 10.6.2 Combo Update - DON'T REBOOT
7. Run MultiBeast and use EasyBeast 10.6.2 + Disk Utilities (If not on i5 750 or i7 860 use EasyBeast 10.6.2 Unsupported)
8. Reboot- Check it out! You're now running 10.6.2 and bootable from the hard drive.
9. Run MultiBeast and install the other options as needed.

is it like this?

P.S.: My card GeForce 8400 GS is 100% supported as I understand.

Yeah, I'd try that approach.
Get to a working 10.6.2, with audio, graphics etc. Whilst you could go straight for 10.6.3, as you want no-hassle, try 10.6.2. You may have issues to resolve even in 10.6.2.
Then you can create a working backup before moving ahead (there are already issues as I'm sure you saw on the blog for some people with 10.6.3, and since you have a "rare combination" of processor and MB...best to play extra safe!)

Before you finally update to 10.6.3, you may want to copy the old kernel to say mach_P55 to have a plan B for booting, as 10.6.3 will overwrite mach_kernel with a new one that wont work with i3/i5 processors. Actually, re-running Tony's Unsupported install CD after upgrading to 10.6.3, and before restarting, I guess will restore the needed special kernel, but if anything goes wrong, if you have "mach_P55" you may be able to boot without needing CDs etc. But anyway, if/when upgrade repeat process of when upgraded to 10.6.2 before restarting.

Guys I managed now the following:

1. Install OS X = OK
4. Boot With CD = OK
5. Upon 1st boot, setup OS X and get to desktop = OK
6. Download and run 10.6.2 Combo Update - DON'T REBOOT = Here the finder was not responding after update. I had to reboot. It was not possible with Tonys iBoot CD so I just for fun tried EFI Empire CD with Core i3 support. It worked! I went again back to the ready 10.6.2
Now I have the Multibeast for nvidia and I have go to step 7.

I do not like to spoil the whole installation, so PLEASE tell me what to install now! Only EasyBeast 10.6.2 Unsupported + chameleon? Which version of Chameleon? there are 2 chameleon versions + pc EFI. My proposal:

1. Chameleon 2.0 RC4 ?
2. Kernel 10.2.0 Patched Kernel for Core i3
3. EasyBeast for unsupported CPUs?

? something else for the first boot?

Run MultiBeast and use EasyBeast 10.6.2 + Disk Utilities (If not on i5 750 or i7 860 use EasyBeast 10.6.2 Unsupported)

snow said:
Guy I mannaged now the following:

1. Install OS X = OK
4. Boot With CD = OK
5. Upon 1st boot, setup OS X and get to desktop = OK
6. Download and run 10.6.2 Combo Update - DON'T REBOOT = Here the finder was not responding after update. I had to reboot. It was not possible with Tonys iBoot CD so I just for fun tried EFI Empire CD with Core i3 support. It worked! I went again back to the ready 10.6.2
Now I have the Multibeast for nvidia and I have go to step 7.

I do not like to spoil the whole installation, so PLEASE tell me what to install now! Only EasyBeast 10.6.2 Unsupported + chameleon? Which version of Chameleon? there are 2 chameleon versions + pc EFI

1. Chameleon 2.0 RC4
2. Kernel 10.2.0 Patched Kernel for Core i3
3. EasyBeast for unsupported CPUs?

? something else for the first boot?

Run MultiBeast and use EasyBeast 10.6.2 + Disk Utilities (If not on i5 750 or i7 860 use EasyBeast 10.6.2 Unsupported)

Well, since you used Empire EFI instead of iBoot I can't help. APRIL FOOL"S! :)

Ok, what you'll need is to install EasyBeast 10.6.2 for Unsupported CPUs- this will install the patched 10.2.0 kernel and RC4 by default, along with all of the necessary kexts. Also, check off Disk Utilities as well. Good luck!!

tonymacx86 said:
Well, since you used Empire EFI instead of iBoot I can't help. APRIL FOOL"S! :)

Ok, what you'll need is to install EasyBeast 10.6.2 for Unsupported CPUs- this will install the patched 10.2.0 kernel and RC4 by default, along with all of the necessary kexts. Also, check off Disk Utilities as well. Good luck!!

Good Joke, Tony! :D

The installation was SUCCESSFUL! Great Forum! I can boot now directly without any CD!

But how can I get sleep modus working? Is there a DSDT for it in Multibeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back