Contribute
Register

Mac App Store access with NullEthernet.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can access the internet with a USB Wi-Fi dongle.
Oh, ok, sorry.
Yes it's the verified error message.

Deleting that file doesn't help.
Did you reboot? If you did, try deleting the file AND deleting all the network interfaces at Preferences by clicking "-" and "Apply". Then, reboot. If this didn't work, delete preferences.plist in the same folder too, delete all NIs again, and reboot again.

No Ethernet on Mac air.
I am using a Wi-Fi dongle, the problem is I can't access the app store with an external dongle.

That's why I'm researching nullethernet and I'm asking here because this seems to be the most lively thread about it.

In theory it should work?

Does your WiFi device show up on the PCI bus (but not work.. eg. drivers fail to load)?

If that is the case, you can use NullEthernet with NullEthernetInjector to treat your WiFi as an Ethernet device (at 'en0'). You would have to follow the instructions for editing the injector's Info.plist to match the vendor/device-id if your WiFi device. Once you do that NullEthernet.kext will attach to that device and to OS X it will seem as if it is an Ethernet device...

But that assumes the device is showing up on the PCI bus, so first you have to verify it is there. Use DPCIManager->PCI List on OS X, or run Ubuntu from a USB and execute 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal to determine if it is there.

If it is NOT active on the PCI bus, then you have to use DSDT patches to enable NullEthernet. This would require you to fully "hack" your Air. I have booted my MacBookAir6,2 with Clover so it works... From there you can patch DSDT to enable NullEthernet. It is a bit drastic, however... You might consider just getting your WiFi fixed.

Note: If the hardware is broken, it is unlikely a software update will fix it.

Maybe the WLAN device just have to be under EN0?

Maybe the WLAN device just have to be under EN0?

With a working (built-in) WLAN and correct smbios (MacBookAir), yes.

But if the WLAN device is broken such that either 1) not showing up on PCI bus, or 2) showing up on PCI bus but drivers not loading due to malfunction, then it is a problem.

Read post #72 for further details.

You cannot make USB WiFi "built-in"...

A uefi update seems to have got the internal wlan functioning again, hallelujah, thanks for the assist.

Hi RehabMan,

I'm trying to use the PCIe/Inject method, but it seem the NullEthernet.kext was not loaded.
I just change the IOPCIMatch in NullEthernetInjector info.plist:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key> <string>0xc2208086</string>

My USB wifi works fine to access internet but no App store. The original pcie wifi is from intel, it was shown in IORegistryExplorer:
???? 2014-08-24 ??10.15.11.png???? 2014-08-24 ??10.15.11.png

I set the IOPCIMatch according to this URL: https://developer.apple.com/library.../WritingPCIDrivers/pci_device/pci_device.html

Could you help me to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your great work.

Hi RehabMan,

I'm trying to use the PCIe/Inject method, but it seem the NullEthernet.kext was not loaded.
I just change the IOPCIMatch in NullEthernetInjector info.plist:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key> <string>0xc2208086</string>

Incorrect. Your vendor/device-id is 8086:0085.

Use 0x00858086.

Also, I'm not sure it will work with a WiFi device. You can try, but I'm not certain EthernetBuiltIn will find that device in order to mark it as built-in.

Incorrect. Your vendor/device-id is 8086:0085.

Use 0x00858086.

Also, I'm not sure it will work with a WiFi device. You can try, but I'm not certain EthernetBuiltIn will find that device in order to mark it as built-in.

Thank you very much, I will try it. I saw thinguy posted that his USB wifi worked, so it worth a try.

Thank you very much, I will try it. I saw thinguy posted that his USB wifi worked, so it worth a try.

No doubt... USB WiFi works for internet access provided you have the correct drivers loaded for your USB WiFi device.

And no doubt you can attach NullEthernet.kext to your (not supported) Intel WiFi using a correct NullEthernetInjector.kext. My doubt is whether you can make your Intel WiFi (NullEthernet) look built-in with EthernetBuiltIn bootloader flag. Will probably require DSDT patches to do that, at which point you might as well use the RMNE patch.

NullEthernetInjector is designed to be used with a non supported Ethernet device in conjunction with the EthernetBuiltIn=Yes bootloader flag.

Okay, thanks for your elaboration, you're really a nice professor! I even not add the ethernet built in boot flag now. I just tried with the correct IOPCIMatch id, but it still failed. And I can see the error log in system.log:

Aug 24 09:52:36 gxwcxl2010deMacBook-Air.local sudo[380]: gxwcxl2010 : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/System/Library/Extensions/NullEthernetInjector.kext/Contents ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/vi Info.plist
Aug 24 09:52:36 gxwcxl2010deMacBook-Air.local com.apple.kextd[12]: WARNING - Invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/NullEthernet.kext"
Aug 24 09:52:57 gxwcxl2010deMacBook-Air.local sudo[384]: gxwcxl2010 : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/System/Library/Extensions/NullEthernetInjector.kext/Contents ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/vi Info.plist
Aug 24 10:38:27 gxwcxl2010deMacBook-Air.local com.apple.kextd[12]: WARNING - Invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/NullEthernet.kext"

???? 2014-08-24 ??11.19.18.png
I used KextBeast to install them. So I don't understand why this happened.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back