Contribute
Register

M.2 Samsung 950 PRO SSD NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks yet again Rehabman - I hear what you are saying about the guides.

In fairness to the people ( like yourself) writing guides, unless it's written for your exact hardware config the I guess there is always going to be problems to solve.

Now that you mention it I believe that I did think I needed the USB port limit patch so must have added it in multibeast?

Will work through these issues and let you know how I got on, thank you.

Now that you mention it I believe that I did think I needed the USB port limit patch so must have added it in multibeast?

No one "needs" the port limit patch. You can always find a way to get the number of ports in use under 15.
And the port limit patch, except as a temporary patch used to discover which ports you need, is always a bad idea.

No one "needs" the port limit patch. You can always find a way to get the number of ports in use under 15.
And the port limit patch, except as a temporary patch used to discover which ports you need, is always a bad idea.
OK thanks.

Just spent last hour trying to find out how to actually perform the rename of GFX0->IGFX ?

Sorry but that's what you're up against here with a noob like me!

Now if you wanted me to take you over to the dark side and teach you how to snowboard I'm you're man?

Just spent last hour trying to find out how to actually perform the rename of GFX0->IGFX ?

Successful? (it is simple copy/paste).

Now if you wanted me to take you over to the dark side and teach you how to snowboard I'm you're man?

I know how to snowboard too, but prefer skiing (especially with the new wide skis).

I don't really see anything wrong with the NVMe setup (from ioreg), but there are lots of other things wrong:
- CPU PM not implemented
- IGPU PM not implemented (requires GFX0->IGPU ACPI rename)
- evidence of USB port limit patch (very bad idea)
- AppleLPC not loaded (requires appropriate ACPI patch)

Note: GenericUSBXHCI.kext seems to have no applicability for your hardware (remove it).
Hi Rehabman, hope that you are well?
Sorry for the long delay as I have been away on holiday.....Anyway working through these issues.

Have removed the port limit patch.
Started to find out how to impliment CPU PM and found a guide but came up with this when i started to run script:

gDataPath: /Users/removedforprivacy/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data

System information: Mac OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)

Brandstring 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz'

Error: Unknown processor model ...

Visit http://ark.intel.com to gather the required data:

Processor Number

TDP

Low Frequency Mode (use AppleIntelInfo.kext)

Base Frequency

Max Turbo Frequency

Cores

Threads

Aborting ...

Done.

Yet i read in the guide that my CPU was supported?

Think I found where to add the "GFX0->IGPU ACPI rename" statement but isn't there two strings of HEX after this?

Hi Rehabman, hope that you are well?
Sorry for the long delay as I have been away on holiday.....Anyway working through these issues.

Have removed the port limit patch.
Started to find out how to impliment CPU PM and found a guide but came up with this when i started to run script:

gDataPath: /Users/removedforprivacy/Library/ssdtPRGen/Data

System information: Mac OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)

Brandstring 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz'

Error: Unknown processor model ...

Visit http://ark.intel.com to gather the required data:

Processor Number

TDP

Low Frequency Mode (use AppleIntelInfo.kext)

Base Frequency

Max Turbo Frequency

Cores

Threads

Aborting ...

Done.

Yet i read in the guide that my CPU was supported?

Think I found where to add the "GFX0->IGPU ACPI rename" statement but isn't there two strings of HEX after this?

You should open a separate thread. Your questions are off-topic here. This thread is for Samsung 950 NVMe.

Last edited:
I just purchased parts to put together my first PC build. As the parts have started to arrive, I've developed a sense of buyers remorse as I have no desire to leave the benefits OS X behind but also want to take advantage of some of the incredible technology that has become available as of late (the 950 for instance). In trying in reconcile competing desires after already pulling the trigger on parts, I came across this forum and this thread.

I know this isn't the most appropriate place to post this as it contributes nothing to the topic at hand, but I wanted to say thank you. To RehabMan and all the rest of the community. Your willingness to help others, responsiveness, attention to detail and intelligence are admirable. While the graphics card I purchased will prohibit me from jumping into this world immediately, you all have provided a reality that eliminates the mutual exclusivity that the market has imposed. Your minds are taking the shackles off, exhibiting a microcosm of what could be accomplished with a different aim in life. In the process, you are inspiring those around you to learn and to reject conventional limits.

As the freshest of novices, I'm intimidated by the process but excited for the possibilities. Your contributions serve as a support system that helps make the latter outweigh the former. The world desperately needs more people and more communities like this.

Know that you are appreciated.

Buy one and lets find out.... Just kidding, I've got a Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 drive and its not being seen by OS X using the dedicated M.2 Slot. I'd like to know if the 950 Pro is compatible too as I've Windblows on my NVMe drive and would be willing to replace it.
I'm able to boot my SM951. Ask me if you need help,

I'm able to boot my SM951. Ask me if you need help,
Thanks gabrieljsmith1,
I got the SM951 NVMe working a while ago with the NVMeGeneric.kext but since then RehabMans and Pike's fix seem like the best solution. I no longer use NVMe version for my macOS drive, I opted for a SM951 AHCI version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back