Contribute
Register

Lost Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tested the WiFi/Bluetooth combo card's USB connection, and it's working properly.

Give more details on how you did this test, please. As ammulder is saying, it seems like the USB port that you're connecting the card to is not working.

From what I can tell, the USB connection supplies the combo card with 5 VDC. The WiFi device on the combo card works, but the Bluetooth device doesn't. If there were a USB-related problem I'd think the WiFi device wouldn't work. Right?

Nope. See on the card where is says USB_D+ and USB_D-? Those are the data pins. In fact, the special USB cable that comes with this type of card usually does not carry the USB power, since 5v is already available from the PCI-e.

Wrong. The WiFi does not use USB. The Bluetooth does use USB. Even though it's a "combo".

This. Wifi works over the PCI interface. So that works even despite USB not configured right. The bluetooth on that card plugs into an internal USB header. This is likely not working because you need to rename header in a DSDT or clover patch and then either your board has sufficient information for apple drivers to figure it out without port injectors active, or you'll need to make a port injector too. All of that is in the USB thread
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

You're right - those pins are USB data pins (doh!)

But if I plug a two-port USB back-plane header into the same USB header on the mother board, and then plug a USB mouse into one of the USB ports on the back-plane header - it works (it doesn't work on the other USB port). I checked the wires, and the port that works is connected to the same pins that I used for the combo card (the row with the Key (no pin)).

So the USB port works for a mouse, but apparently not for my combo card. Hmmm... Maybe the combo card draws more current than the port is configured to deliver (System Information says it's capable of delivering 1000 mA, but I don't know if that value is reliable). In any event, that's the port I used with Yosemite, and I had Bluetooth working.

Incidentally, I have a second USB header on my motherboard, but it appears to be dead (neither of its two ports work for the mouse).

If you put the backplane USB plugs on that motherboard USB header, does the mouse work when you have El Capitan started up (e.g. not just into the BIOS or Clover screen)?

Yes. I.e., I unplugged the USB mouse, turned the computer off, waited a minute then turned the computer back on & let it boot up completely into El Capitan, and then I plugged the USB mouse back in again - and El Capitan detected it, and it worked normally.

Also, I did the same thing with a USB Bluetooth dongle - and it too was detected by El Capitan and it too worked properly.

Were you thinking it might be a problem with BIOS to OS EHCI handoff?

Well, I think your best bet is going to be to look at one of the USB troubleshooting threads, and put in a DSDT patch or a kext to shift USB2 ports to a different controller, or something like that. There are a number of options. I think if you get your USB straightened out (all USB ports/IDs recognized by El Capitan) then the Bluetooth on the combo card will start working again.

If that were the case, does it make sense that the USB port works for the mouse and for the Bluetooth dongle, but not for the combo card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back