Contribute
Register

Looking to upgrade.. any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
Intel i5 6500
Graphics
RADEON RX 5700 8G
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my current setup:

CPU: 3.19 GHz Intel Core i5 6500 [Link]
Memory: 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [Link]
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB [Link]
Disks: 256GB SSD (startup disk), 2TB Data Fusion Drive
Monitor: Dell U3415W
Case: Corsair Air 540 [Link]
macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

I am looking to upgrade the CPU because primarily I am a developer working with systems programming languages or working on iOS applications. Xcode is something I use heavily - and if you don't know, the Swift compiler can be a hog on resources. Really not sure on what to do here, my motherboard can support the Kaby lake processors with a bios patch, but willing to replace the motherboard if there's a real compelling reason to do it (hoping I don't have to).

I also game when I get time - which is the reason I would want to upgrade my graphics, been looking at the RX560/70/80 for the better native support and be able to push the games further.

Any Tips or Advise is very much appreciated!

Thanks, your friendly neighbourhood turtleguy.

Last edited:
This is my current setup:

CPU: 3.19 GHz Intel Core i5 6500 [Link]
Memory: 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [Link]
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB [Link]
Disks: 256GB SSD (startup disk), 2TB Data Fusion Drive
Monitor: Dell U3415W
Case: Corsair Air 540 [Link]
macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

I am looking to upgrade the CPU because primarily I am a developer working with systems programming languages or working on iOS applications. Xcode is something I use heavily - and if you don't know, the Swift compiler can be a hog on resources. Really not sure on what to do here, my motherboard can support the Kaby lake processors with a bios patch, but willing to replace the motherboard if there's a real compelling reason to do it (hoping I don't have to).

I also game when I get time - which is the reason I would want to upgrade my graphics, been looking at the RX560/70/80 for the better native support and be able to push the games further.

Any Tips or Advise is very much appreciated!

Thanks, your friendly neighbourhood turtleguy.

The best CPU you can get without replacing your motherboard is the Core i7 7700K, which is also quad core with a higher operating frequency. It should provide a bit more performance but I doubt you will be satisfied. You will also need to upgrade your motherboard BIOS before you install the 7700K.

You may also consider upgrading to a Core i7 8700K (6 core) but you will need a new Z370 motherboard to do so. The hardware is compatible with High Sierra. But there will be no Thunderbolt 3 on the motherboard (except if you get an ASRock ITX which is pretty much the only Z370 motherboard with Thunderbolt 3 onboard), and if you need Thunderbolt 3 then you will also need to get a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card such as the Asus Thunderbolt EX3 or Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge. Make sure the motherboard has a Thunderbolt header as it is essential to support the add-in cards.

To upgrade your gaming performance the RX560 probably won't do. You need a better card but the RX570/580 are now much more expensive (if you can find them at all) due to cryptocurrency mining.

Thanks, appreciate the advice ... will take a look at the coffeelake CPU’s, as well as other higher core’d CPUs - can I ask why you suggest I wouldn’t feel the power of the 7700k?

Thanks, appreciate the advice ... will take a look at the coffeelake CPU’s, as well as other higher core’d CPUs - can I ask why you suggest I wouldn’t feel the power of the 7700k?

Now, I am unfamiliar with your workflow. In particular I don't know if the compiler can support multicore CPUs. But my guess was simple : if you are already dissatisfied with the 4 core i5 6500, is another 4 core CPU (even with faster frequencies and more threads) likely to satisfy you?

I suggest you look for performance comparisons between the i5 and i7 on a similar workflow as yours, so you can make the best decision. You might also consider getting a faster disk (like those NVMe SSDs based on PCIe) if your SSD is the normal SATA type. That may also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back