Contribute
Register

Long boot and no sleep (haswell + GA-Z97X-UD5H)

Motherboard
Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i5 4690
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi !

Before, I give you some context that can give leads :). A few years ago, I tried to make my IGPU work with my GPU, and despite a lot of help, wasn’t able to. Then recently, I wanted to upgrade to Catalina, and thought it was the proper time for a few upgrade, and try that again. So I took a new drive, and started with opencore to do a clean install of Catalina from scratch (coming from Clover, that was a lot to learn !). I upgraded my DGPU from NVDIA to a Radeon RX 560 (thinking NVIDIA was probably one reason fr my IGPU/DGPU problem). I use iMac 15,1 as sysdef. This is about "Barbalina" build in my sig.

After 2 days (!!) I was finally able to boot in opencore with IGPU and my 2 monitors working on the Radeon. But boot time takes a lot longer when I enabled IGPU in BIOS than without (that was also the problem before, but after that both screens would go black, now they work as intended). I had only one monitor at first with IGPU on with the Radeon, not the one on HDMI. Then with boot args -cdfon and agdpmod=pikera I finally was able to have both screens.

The main thing is sleep isn’t working, and I really want it. Some times it would just goes out of sleep immediately, some times it would go to sleep, but crash at wake up (black screens, no response from the Hack). I think both problems, boot and sleep, are probably linked, hence this introduction.

So, here’s the boot verbose of when it block opposed to without IGPU when it just goes straight to login screen.

There is a long pause at line 1 « nx volume » line, and a very long pause after both line 5 & 6 « IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient », another long after the 7, 8 and 9 lines « AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient » then a very long after both « IOConsoleUsers » at the end.

Code:
localhost kernel[0]: (apfs) <apfs`log_debug> nx_volume_group_get_volume_indices:6236: Found 2 volumes in group 89AF5A06-A8CC-4F6D-BF7B-7F7FC6636110

localhost kernel[0]: (Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: systemstats(67) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

localhost kernel[0]: (Sandbox) <Sandbox`sb_report> Sandbox: 1 duplicate report for systemstats deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

localhost kernel[0]: (Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: bluetoothd(115) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

localhost kernel[0]: (IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000035.127516 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

localhost kernel[0]: (IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000035.140086 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AMD9500ControllerWrangler)

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl)

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy/AGDPClientControl)

localhost kernel[0]: (apfs) <apfs`log_debug> tx_flush:1028: xid 450934 tx stats: # 20 finish 20 enter 928 wait 0 0us close 0us flush 2503us

localhost kernel[0]: IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,

localhost kernel[0]: IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

Here is the full boot log, and ioreg (just in case). Here is also my EFI. I can’t figure what is wrong, like my computer, I loose sleep for sleep ! :D

Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated to finally have a fully working Hack:)

Attachments

• Barbalina.ioreg
    13.1 MB · Views: 5
  • boot verbose.zip
    131.7 KB · Views: 5
  • EFI.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 11
Hi !

Before, I give you some context that can give leads :). A few years ago, I tried to make my IGPU work with my GPU, and despite a lot of help, wasn’t able to. Then recently, I wanted to upgrade to Catalina, and thought it was the proper time for a few upgrade, and try that again. So I took a new drive, and started with opencore to do a clean install of Catalina from scratch (coming from Clover, that was a lot to learn !). I upgraded my DGPU from NVDIA to a Radeon RX 560 (thinking NVIDIA was probably one reason fr my IGPU/DGPU problem). I use iMac 15,1 as sysdef. This is about "Barbalina" build in my sig.

After 2 days (!!) I was finally able to boot in opencore with IGPU and my 2 monitors working on the Radeon. But boot time takes a lot longer when I enabled IGPU in BIOS than without (that was also the problem before, but after that both screens would go black, now they work as intended). I had only one monitor at first with IGPU on with the Radeon, not the one on HDMI. Then with boot args -cdfon and agdpmod=pikera I finally was able to have both screens.

The main thing is sleep isn’t working, and I really want it. Some times it would just goes out of sleep immediately, some times it would go to sleep, but crash at wake up (black screens, no response from the Hack). I think both problems, boot and sleep, are probably linked, hence this introduction.

So, here’s the boot verbose of when it block opposed to without IGPU when it just goes straight to login screen.

There is a long pause at line 1 « nx volume » line, and a very long pause after both line 5 & 6 « IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient », another long after the 7, 8 and 9 lines « AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient » then a very long after both « IOConsoleUsers » at the end.

Code:
localhost kernel[0]: (apfs) <apfs`log_debug> nx_volume_group_get_volume_indices:6236: Found 2 volumes in group 89AF5A06-A8CC-4F6D-BF7B-7F7FC6636110

localhost kernel[0]: (Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: systemstats(67) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

localhost kernel[0]: (Sandbox) <Sandbox`sb_report> Sandbox: 1 duplicate report for systemstats deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

localhost kernel[0]: (Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: bluetoothd(115) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

localhost kernel[0]: (IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000035.127516 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

localhost kernel[0]: (IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000035.140086 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AMD9500ControllerWrangler)

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl)

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy/AGDPClientControl)

localhost kernel[0]: (apfs) <apfs`log_debug> tx_flush:1028: xid 450934 tx stats: # 20 finish 20 enter 928 wait 0 0us close 0us flush 2503us

localhost kernel[0]: IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,

localhost kernel[0]: IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

Here is the full boot log, and ioreg (just in case). Here is also my EFI. I can’t figure what is wrong, like my computer, I loose sleep for sleep ! :D

Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated to finally have a fully working Hack:)
you seem to be listing graphics twice:

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>shikigva</key>
                <integer>80</integer>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-con0-type</key>
                <data>AAQAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
                <data>AAgAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
                <data>BAAAAA==</data>
            </dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>BAASBA==</data>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>EgQAAA==</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>VGA compatible controller</string>
                <key>hda-gfx</key>
                <string>onboard-1</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Intel HD Graphics 4600</string>
            </dict>

you may want to look into using "headless" setup:
and only have your monitors plugged into your AMD card

you want to be putting Lilu.kext first in your list in your config.plist

agdpmod=pikera is not required for your graphics card

also check over:

Last edited:
you seem to be listing graphics twice:

you may want to look into using "headless" setup:

and only have your monitors plugged into your AMD card

you want to be putting Lilu.kext first in your list in your config.plist

agdpmod=pikera is not required for your graphics card

also check over:
(USB GUIDE)
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have my graphic twice because one is for IGPU, headless config, as I've done with "the idiot guide to lilu ..." and the other is the DGPU, because when I was having trouble with my HDMI, I thought mapping the connectors of the DGPU couldn't hurt. I probably can try without it now.

I use a headless setup as per the "idiot lilu guide" guide :). And my monitors are only plugged in the AMD card.

I'm gonna "rise" lilu, the actual setup is proper tree management.

without pikera, no HDMI on my DGPU !

My USB port are configured, as the guide you mention said :)

[edit] and the other GPU entry is also for shikigva=80 for DRMs

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have my graphic twice because one is for IGPU, headless config, as I've done with "the idiot guide to lilu ..." and the other is the DGPU, because when I was having trouble with my HDMI, I thought mapping the connectors of the DGPU couldn't hurt. I probably can try without it now.

I use a headless setup as per the "idiot lilu guide" guide :). And my monitors are only plugged in the AMD card.

I'm gonna "rise" lilu, the actual setup is proper tree management.

without pikera, no HDMI on my DGPU !

My USB port are configured, as the guide you mention said :)
framebuffer-patch-enable is for intel gpu

(also not required if you can set DVMT to 64MB in your bios)

so really you can remove this section:
Code:
            <dict>
                <key>shikigva</key>
                <integer>80</integer>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>AAQAAA==</data>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>AAgAAA==</data>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>BAAAAA==</data>
            </dict>

framebuffer-patch-enable is for intel gpu

(also not required if you can set DVMT to 64MB in your bios)

so really you can remove this section:
Code:
            <dict>
                <key>shikigva</key>
                <integer>80</integer>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>AAQAAA==</data>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>AAgAAA==</data>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <data>BAAAAA==</data>
            </dict>
OK, I'm gonna remove but for the shikigva, as stated in my edit, that is for DRMs, thanks !

OK, I'm gonna remove but for the shikigva, as stated in my edit, that is for DRMs, thanks !
then it should go in your main graphics section.....

then it should go in your main graphics section.....
I'm sorry I don't understand where you mean. Without it, I can't read DRM content, and with it, like I have, I have DRM content, so I wasn't aware at all it was in the wrong section, where should I put it ?

I'm sorry I don't understand where you mean. Without it, I can't read DRM content, and with it, like I have, I have DRM content, so I wasn't aware at all it was in the wrong section, where should I put it ?
this section is your graphics section:

Code:
            <dict>
                <data>BAASBA==</data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>EgQAAA==</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <key>hda-gfx</key>
                <key>model</key>
            </dict>

or you can use shikigva as a boot argument

this section is your graphics section:

Code:
            <dict>
                <data>BAASBA==</data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>EgQAAA==</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <key>hda-gfx</key>
                <key>model</key>
            </dict>

or you can use shikigva as a boot argument
But the section you highlight is the IGPU section (PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)), not the DGPU one (PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)). I need to patch the DGPU for DRMS, right ? I found the DGPU address with ioreg, and it seems legit in Dortanias guides.
And then, in Dortania guide about DRMs, he explain to try those arguments (various shikigva) as boot-args, but then to make them more permanent like I have done.

Have upped Lilu first, removed the framebuffer stuff, boot as long as before, still no sleep, but less stuff in boot log. Small pause after "IOAudioFamily" before a long pause after "nx_volume_group", then another long pause after "(IOUSBHostFamily)", and then a third after "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState" (no more fourth pause !).

Code:
(IOAudioFamily) <IOAudioFamily`IOAudioControl::setValue(OSObject*)> - IOAudioControl[<private>]::setValue(int = 0) returns 0x0

(IOAudioFamily) <IOAudioFamily`IOAudioControl::setValue(OSObject*)> + IOAudioControl[<private>]::setValue(int = 0)

(IOAudioFamily) <IOAudioFamily`IOAudioControl::setValue(OSObject*)> - IOAudioControl[<private>]::setValue(int = 0) returns 0x0

(apfs) <apfs`log_debug> nx_volume_group_get_volume_indices:6236: Found 2 volumes in group 89AF5A06-A8CC-4F6D-BF7B-7F7FC6636110

(Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: bluetoothd(146) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

(Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: systemstats(98) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

<Sandbox`sb_report> Sandbox: 1 duplicate report for systemstats deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

<Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: bluetoothd(146) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

(IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000037.331428 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

(IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000037.344119 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AMD9500ControllerWrangler)

(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl)

56.393831+0100 (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy/AGDPClientControl)

IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

(Sandbox) <Sandbox`sb_report> Sandbox: 3 duplicate reports for bluetoothd deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

Again, thanks a lot ! (BTW, I went opencore because you and Edhawk convinced me in another topic about a clover problem on my other build, and thanks, some stuff works really better !)

But the section you highlight is the IGPU section (PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)), not the DGPU one (PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)). I need to patch the DGPU for DRMS, right ? I found the DGPU address with ioreg, and it seems legit in Dortanias guides.
And then, in Dortania guide about DRMs, he explain to try those arguments (various shikigva) as boot-args, but then to make them more permanent like I have done.

Have upped Lilu first, removed the framebuffer stuff, boot as long as before, still no sleep, but less stuff in boot log. Small pause after "IOAudioFamily" before a long pause after "nx_volume_group", then another long pause after "(IOUSBHostFamily)", and then a third after "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState" (no more fourth pause !).

Code:

(IOAudioFamily) <IOAudioFamily`IOAudioControl::setValue(OSObject*)> + IOAudioControl[<private>]::setValue(int = 0)

(apfs) <apfs`log_debug> nx_volume_group_get_volume_indices:6236: Found 2 volumes in group 89AF5A06-A8CC-4F6D-BF7B-7F7FC6636110

(Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: bluetoothd(146) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

(Sandbox) <Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: systemstats(98) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

<Sandbox`sb_report> Sandbox: 1 duplicate report for systemstats deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.tccd.system

<Sandbox`kernel_report> Sandbox: bluetoothd(146) deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

(IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000037.331428 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

(IOUSBHostFamily) <IOUSBHostFamily`AppleUSBHostUserClient::start(IOService*)> 000037.344119 systemstats@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::start: missing entitlement com.apple.bluetooth.control

(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AMD9500ControllerWrangler)

(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl)

56.393831+0100 (AppleGraphicsDeviceControl) <AppleGraphicsDeviceControl`AppleGraphicsDeviceControlClient::authorizeTask(AppleGraphicsDeviceControl*, task*, unsigned int)> AGDCC: Unauthorized client 'PerfPowerService' (IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/AtiDeviceControl/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy/AGDPClientControl)

IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

(Sandbox) <Sandbox`sb_report> Sandbox: 3 duplicate reports for bluetoothd deny(1) mach-lookup com.apple.server.bluetooth

Again, thanks a lot ! (BTW, I went opencore because you and Edhawk convinced me in another topic about a clover problem on my other build, and thanks, some stuff works really better !)

unfairgva=1 boot argument is the new way for fixing DRM

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0 relates to graphics (normally if it hangs here and doesn't boot then big graphics issue!)

for a faster boot, remove:
keepsyms=1 debug=0x100

set AppleDebug to false

as per:

agdpmod=pikera shouldn't really be used

may not need:
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

good chance that you do not need 2 Ethernet kexts, remove the one not needed

Back