Contribute
Register

Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext - New Installer Package Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more testing.

Looking more and more like a peculiar bug in relations to your driver and SMB/AFP on FreeNAS.

Installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my NAS box using an older IDE drive.

Configured an SMB share and was able to copy my test folder to it from my OS X machine with Zero errors. Copied at an almost steady 45 megs a sec. Very nice.

Still working on getting netatalk configed so I can test AFP performance to the linux test machine.

I wish we had some other folks that ran FreeNAS that would could do some testing with.

thgill said:
Some more testing.

Looking more and more like a peculiar bug in relations to your driver and SMB/AFP on FreeNAS.
Hmmm...
Did you check this: viewtopic.php?p=48423#p48423 ?

Installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my NAS box using an older IDE drive.

Configured an SMB share and was able to copy my test folder to it from my OS X machine with Zero errors. Copied at an almost steady 45 megs a sec. Very nice.

Still working on getting netatalk configed so I can test AFP performance to the linux test machine.
:thumbup:

I wish we had some other folks that ran FreeNAS that would could do some testing with.
A friend of mine built one a couple weeks ago on an i3, and was so fed up with the low performance he was getting (with Win over SMB) that he is switching to Debian...

His Hackintosh runs my kext on an EX58-UD5 + i7-920

Will check if his FreeNAS is still alive... May be I'll be able to test on-site ;)

Thanks for the great work Lnx2Mac!

I have a question/problem related to sleep/wake while VMware guest machines are running. After my Hack wakes up network appears to be running fine on my host but VMWare guest machine (running windows) loosing network connection. Sometimes I'm able to disconnect/connect virtual network adapter and that solves the issue but sometimes it does not. Have you experienced the same problem?

teapot said:

I have a question/problem related to sleep/wake while VMware guest machines are running. After my Hack wakes up network appears to be running fine on my host but VMWare guest machine (running windows) loosing network connection. Sometimes I'm able to disconnect/connect virtual network adapter and that solves the issue but sometimes it does not. Have you experienced the same problem?

Guests running bridged or NAT network connections?

thgill said:
teapot said:

Guests running bridged or NAT network connections?

Guests running bridged connections

I saw similar issues running bridged.

Test it with NAT and see what happens.

Yes, NAT works but I'm not sure if I can use it. I have some firewall rules setup on the router for some of the VM guests.

I have no problem waking up my MacBook Pro in similar scenario.. All bridged virtual network adapters work as they suppose to. So I'm guessing something wrong in Realtek kext. May be it will be fixed in the next beta or release....

thgill said:
I saw similar issues running bridged.

Test it with NAT and see what happens.

I'm building my Hackintosh system here in a few days (parts on route) and will be using it in conjunction with a large FreeBSD/AFP setup. FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD so maybe I can reproduce it. Can you please tell me what to test to verify there is/is not an issue?

Edit: I'm running FreeBSD 8.1 with the Netatalk 2.1.4. Looks like 2.1.3 fixed some serious networking IO...

I'm on my 5th hackintosh build. Using GA-X58A-UD3R rev2.0 with Realtek 8111E NIC.
While it does work using Lnx2Mac kext, the performance is terrible. It reports that it is connecting at 1Gbps. However, when transferring files, over my gigabit network, i only see 3%-7% bandwidth utilization.
SO, I installed an intel gigabit PCI-E adapter (EXPI9301CTBLK), according to thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4057&start=0
AND...
AWESOME Performance. That same file transfer now utilizes 50%+ of my gigabit bandwidth.
Transferring 9GB in 3min rather than 30min with the Realtek 8111E.

What can I do to increase the speed/performance, and reliability of the onboard NIC (realtek8111E)? Is anyone else struggling with these same performance issues? Is there a patch or driver update available to fix this?

xtremity said:
I'm on my 5th hackintosh build. Using GA-X58A-UD3R rev2.0 with Realtek 8111E NIC.
While it does work using Lnx2Mac kext, the performance is terrible. It reports that it is connecting at 1Gbps. However, when transferring files, over my gigabit network, i only see 3%-7% bandwidth utilization.
SO, I installed an intel gigabit PCI-E adapter (EXPI9301CTBLK), according to thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4057&start=0
AND...
AWESOME Performance. That same file transfer now utilizes 50%+ of my gigabit bandwidth.
Transferring 9GB in 3min rather than 30min with the Realtek 8111E.

What can I do to increase the speed/performance, and reliability of the onboard NIC (realtek8111E)? Is anyone else struggling with these same performance issues? Is there a patch or driver update available to fix this?

Yes
I have the same problem, with same board/Nic. You can check my report here viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7277&p=48423#p48423
hope Lnx2mac can solve this on next driver release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back