Contribute
Register

Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext - New Installer Package Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Driver Goes Beta
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/lnx ... -goes.html

Make sure if you test and use the driver to leave feedback in the RealtekRTL81xx Beta Tester's Forum- now open to all users. And please consider supporting this amazing achievement by contributing on his blog. ;)

:mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

Update 12-Nov-2010:
Lnx2Mac just released an OS X Installer Package for a slightly modified version of the current Beta 0.0.67

This should help in getting a smooth installation of the driver in no-time (while requiring less Hackintosh expertise).

Get it while it lasts !... http://bit.ly/dcyApt :lol:

Re: Lnx2Mac's Realtek Ethernet Driver - Public Beta Available!

compatible with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R v2?

thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the hard work. Can you please be a little more explicit on the install instructions. For example, if I installed the RTL8169 Ethernet kext, what do I need to do? Remove the entire IONetworkingFamily.kext, ignore it and install you new driver, or what?

I really appreciate your help. Assuming it works, you've got a donation coming from me.

-Allan

jpa said:
compatible with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R v2?

thanks
Yes...

AllanMarcus said:
Hi,

Thanks for the hard work. Can you please be a little more explicit on the install instructions. For example, if I installed the RTL8169 Ethernet kext, what do I need to do? Remove the entire IONetworkingFamily.kext, ignore it and install you new driver, or what?

I really appreciate your help. Assuming it works, you've got a donation coming from me.

-Allan
No, just removing the RTL8169 kext should do...

You can identify the kext used by looking in "System Profiler" | Hardware | Ethernet...
See the screenshot I posted in http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrt ... river.html (you can click it to get a bigger image).
There you'll see "location:"... In my screenshot, I was running /tmp/RealtekRTL81xx.kext

Thanks for this I have been watching with interest.

Going back to the original Lifehacker Build I purchased a Prolink PCI card which has always just worked in OSX 10.5 and OSX 10.6 as with the ambiguity of the Realtek kexts I have always disabled the on board lan.

Today I installed your kext and enabled the o/b lan and it works, however it also disables my PCI card as this is seen but allocates an ip address itself and system profiler shows the "connection" as "unplugged". Removing the kext, rebuilding caches and the status quo is resored.

You will note that my PCI lan card is show in Profile as using the AppleRTL8169 - is there anyway that your beta will not disable this as I would like two lan connections if possible as one drawback with the X58A-UD3R is there is only one lan port and outlay for the more expensive version was an overkill not worth the other nice to have additions that I would never use, it was for the additional unecessary expense involved for a 2nd lan port.

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8169
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Subsystem ID: 0x8169
Revision ID: 0x0010
BSD name: en0
Kext name: AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
Version: 1.1.4a5

Any ideas/modifications would be appreciated in order that your beta kext will not disable what already works well...

Lnx2Mac said:

You can identify the kext used by looking in "System Profiler" | Hardware | Ethernet...
See the screenshot I posted in http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrt ... river.html (you can click it to get a bigger image).
There you'll see "location:"... In my screenshot, I was running /tmp/RealtekRTL81xx.kext

So, System Profiler tells me I'm using /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, but I did install the 8169 from the latest multibeast, so I also have
/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Should I remove both?

tonyd said:
Thanks for this I have been watching with interest.

Going back to the original Lifehacker Build I purchased a Prolink PCI card which has always just worked in OSX 10.5 and OSX 10.6 as with the ambiguity of the Realtek kexts I have always disabled the on board lan.

Today I installed your kext and enabled the o/b lan and it works,
:thumbup:

however it also disables my PCI card as this is seen but allocates an ip address itself and system profiler shows the "connection" as "unplugged". Removing the kext, rebuilding caches and the status quo is resored.
Oops... My bad... :oops:
I plan to support the 8169 in the near future, and that's why I registered the driver for that too...
Sorry about that !

Any ideas/modifications would be appreciated in order that your beta kext will not disable what already works well...
A temporary solution will be to remove the 0x816910ec and the 0x816710ec under IOPCIPrimaryMatch from the /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekRTL81xx.kext/Contents/Info.plist file, and rebuild caches.

Again, sorry about the mess... and feel free to PM/email me if you need help with this.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Great release, solved so many issues!

Only concern I have, not exactly sure if it is due to this kext, is that when I manually put the machine to sleep (Via the menu bar) the machine actually shuts down and reboots on usb wake.

Any thoughts?

AllanMarcus said:
Lnx2Mac said:

So, System Profiler tells me I'm using /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext, but I did install the 8169 from the latest multibeast, so I also have
/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Should I remove both?

Actually, based on latest tests by MacMan, it seems these coexists fine with my RTL81xx...

It's safe to leave this here, and apparently the only one that should be removed is R1000SL.

Please report back !

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back