Contribute
Register

List of Confirmed Radeon HD 7xxx Series (10.8.3+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I updated the list.
It's been a while, but I guess with the HD 7xxx series getting replaced by the R series there won't be too much more to add.

If any of y'all out there are still trying to do complicated edits and things, have you tried 10.9.3. with Chimera 3.0.1 and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes? (And I mean literally using nothing else that could possibly affect the graphics card but those 3 things.)

I just did that today and my 7970 is still working, with QE/CI, no fuss at all.

Hi all, I updated the list.
It's been a while, but I guess with the HD 7xxx series getting replaced by the R series there won't be too much more to add.

If any of y'all out there are still trying to do complicated edits and things, have you tried 10.9.3. with Chimera 3.0.1 and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes? (And I mean literally using nothing else that could possibly affect the graphics card but those 3 things.)

I just did that today and my 7970 is still working, with QE/CI, no fuss at all.

I have a MSI TwinFrozr 2GB 7850 and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes causes the boot loader to crash. Doesn't matter anymore, 10.9.3 natively uses my card now! I used to edit the kexts previously. I had regretted my purchase.

I'm so close to running Mac OSX natively. I only have to use FakeSMC and a boot loader now, nothing else!

I have a MSI TwinFrozr 2GB 7850 and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes causes the boot loader to crash. Doesn't matter anymore, 10.9.3 natively uses my card now! I used to edit the kexts previously. I had regretted my purchase.

I'm so close to running Mac OSX natively. I only have to use FakeSMC and a boot loader now, nothing else!

Hi Shiitaki,
do you use clover or chimera (chameleon) as a bootloader?
What is your work around for the gibberish txt which is displayed when using chimera and your Radeon 7850?
An updated boot0 file with chameleon wizard?

Thx in advanced!

Hey guys,

I wrote a couple of posts in the topic "What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?" and some users won't suggest to install an AMD R9 series if you are new to the Hackintosh world (like me).

I would like to use AMD cards because I am planning to use Final Cut Pro X and Nvidia cards are slower compared to Radeon cards.

Should I go with the 7xxx series instead? It's fine by me. I don't need the last model.

On the first post (I thank so much the original poster) there are a list of compatible cards. It's said that some of them work "out of the box". Does it mean that I am not going to have problems during the install? Remember that I am new to this world. I am willing to try different configurations. I'll install Mavericks 10.9.4.

Which one is the most recommended for compatibility?
I have three solutions to follow, since I noticed that most of the cards are no available on the market anymore:

1. Buy an used SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC 2GB (11199-03-20G) from a friend of mine (this is the best solution for me, since I save some money and I can test the video card). I'll probably use the display ports.
  2. Buy a less cheaper MSI Radeon HD 7970 OC (R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC) (about 280 euros)
  3. Buy these old video cards

I would like to use the GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard. I can do a fresh install or use the internal graphic card then add the Radeon. Which one is best?
Very important: I am planning to use two monitors for my setup.

Thank you so much for your effort, I really appreciate your work : )

I personally love my MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC -- never had a problem with it and the base overclock is really nice. It's a great, powerful card and runs everything I've thrown at it very well.

Don't get the Apple ones. They're way too expensive and aren't that good anymore. You could try the 7870 route, if you prefer the price-to-power ratio. I'd say pick between option 1, option 2, or an R9. At that point it's just personal preference; they each should work out of the box (but I can't speak for the R9 290 series; I know nothing about those).

Out of the box = works as you would expect/hope it to. If you follow the first post, you should be good to go.

Also, the R9 280x is basically the same as a 7970 GHz edition, so I don't see why it wouldn't work if you were to pick one of those.

And, don't worry about monitors; I use 6 (4 off the 7970 and 2 off Intel HD 4000).

Hello:)

Apparently everything seems to works better with 19.9.3?

I can buy a second hand sapphire 7870ghz oc for 70€ (95$) but I would be sure that it works best as possible?

Well, I've finally bought sapphire 7870 ghz edition (same as page1) and it worked oob:headbang:.
My bios is set with igfx enabled and igfx primary, and GE=yes in chameleon. I have everything working (exept bootscreen as usual) in 10.9.4.:)
I got about 100fps in opencl test in cinebench, 1400-1500 in luxmark in default test and 1966 (78fps) in unigine heaven medium in 1600x900.

I've tried to disable the igfx as seen in other threads, but all i got was a black gibberish screen....

I'd say just leave the iGPU on. It's actually helping you see the boot screen on the AMD, and it lets you use QuickSync and airplay display mirroring should you need it (you can't use QuickSync with the iGPU off).

I tried to dosable it because i saw it recommended in some threads, I really don't care if the igfx is on or off:) I don't use airplay, but it's good to know it can work:p
How do you see the bootscreen with an amd card? With an other screen connected to the igfx?

I just see the bootscreen on my AMD (and iGPU, too) normally. I have a display on the iGPU (set as primary in UEFI) and my AMD is set as the main monitor according to the Display preference menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back