Contribute
Register

Lion HDMI Audio - Part 1: Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
munkicloud said:
I was wondering if there is a way to get output controls with the HDMI Audio. I got the audio working but I cannot control it within Lion, this is especially problematic when using headphones. My speakers have audio control, but that doesn't change the audio going through the headphone jack. So is there a different solution for this?
There is not a way to control digital audio in Lion. Plug your headphone into your speaker audio control.

toleda said:
Lion HDMI Audio
Part 1: Lion HDMI Audio Requirements

This following requirements must be met before attempting to enable Lion HDMI audio. Starting with a HDMI audio capable Lion system significantly increases your probability of success.

HDMI Audio Requirements
1. Lion (Mac OS X 10.7.x), bootable from hard disc.
2. DSDT.aml installed in Extras
3. AppleHDA_v2.1.x installed in System/Library/Extensions
4. Device (HDEF) present in dsdt. (Working on board audio required for 10.7 or HD3000)
5. No audio enablers (i.e., Voodoo, 8xxEnabler, etc)
6. Compatible Graphics:
.....AMD HD 5xxx or HD 6xxx or
.....Nvidia GT 240, GT/S/X 4xx, GT/S/X 5xx or
.....Intel HD3000 Integrated Graphics (i3-2105, i3-2125, i5-2405S, i5-2500K, i7-2600K processors - 9/2011)
7. Lion Recognized Graphics Card
…..About This Mac/Graphics: Correct and complete supplier, model and memory
…..System Report.../System Profiler/Graphics/Displays: Television: Yes
…..System Preferences/Displays: 1080p, 1080i or 720p

Examples of Lion Recognized Graphics Cards - Lion_Recognized_Graphics_Cards.pdf

If your system meets the requirements above, proceed to Part 2: HDMI Audio DSDT Edits:
1. Part 2a. Discrete Graphics - AMD/Nvidia
2. Part 2b. Integrated Graphics - Intel HD 3000

Notes:

Potential impact to on board audio when enabling HDMI audio
l_onboard-hdmi.png

Lion HDMI Audio Differences from Snow Leopard HDMI Audio
1. DSDT edits: no changes.
2. AppleHDA Binary: no changes.
3. AppleHDAController Binary: edit 4 instances rather than two. (de 10 e4 0b should not be edited).
4. ATIFrambuffer binary edits: Obsolete
5. ATI5000Controller binary: edit HD 5xxx FrameBuffers, if neccessay (same method, different binary)
6. ATI6000Controller binary: edit HD 6xxx FrameBuffers, if neccessay (same method, different binary)
7. GT/S/X 5xx graphics cards and HD3000 integrated graphics are supported in Lion only.

Hi Toledo, i'm so interesting with this tutorial, and i wonder if it's gonna be work for my cards or not, before continuing, i want to ask and make me sure, is my card and my system capable to try this method? first from discrete nvdia cards detected with lion, i have only one problem, my audio hdmi is not on the control panel, as shown as in your pdf. here's my discrete snapshot of my system.
82f9c1eb38.f.png

7e350d27f4.f.png

5c172f05d6.f.png

and here is the problem,
3a714963b0.f.png

my motherboard is ASUS P5GC 1333/mx which has intel 945 gma on board . *old mb *
my vga is Zotac NVidia Geforce 8400GS 512Mb DDR3

i was reading your post also about editing dsdt to enable hdmi, but i want to make sure first is my hardware is dead end or not

here is my dsdt screen shot at pegp section
c58eb69c4f.f.png

question :
1. about sound preference, my hdmi audio not detected and not shown on preferences. is it because I'm using voodoohda next running and not using applehda? should i try using original applehda bundled in lion first or uninstall voodoohda to make it work?

2. from my dsdt, which i snap for seeing. is it a dead end for me since my main board is only support spdif than using hdmi audio?

thanks for your time, really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
arikstress said:
question :
1. about sound preference, my hdmi audio not detected and not shown on preferences. is it because I'm using voodoohda next running and not using applehda? should i try using original applehda bundled in lion first or uninstall voodoohda to make it work?

2. from my dsdt, which i snap for seeing. is it a dead end for me since my main board is only support spdif than using hdmi audio?

None of the screenshots appear on your post. HDMI audio does not show up in System Preferences/Sound/Output until all dsdt and kext edits are installed correctly. For this method to work you have to remove all VoodooHDA and reinstall AppleHDA. HDMI audio is not performed on the motherboard, the graphics card does it.

I believe the 8400 has a 2 wire SPDIF input when connected to a the 2 wire SPDIF output on the motherboard, you have HDMI audio.

Just last week, kentliin got his 8400GS HDMI audio working with AppleHDA http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=230558#p230558. Note: the Nvidia HDMI audio dsdt edits, AppleHDA_1.7.9 (available as AppleHDA Rollback in MultiBeast) and the AppleHDA binary edits are all required before HDMI audio will work.

toleda said:
arikstress said:
question :

None of the screenshots appear on your post. HDMI audio does not show up in System Preferences/Sound/Output until all dsdt and kext edits are installed correctly. For this method to work you have to remove all VoodooHDA and reinstall AppleHDA. HDMI audio is not performed on the motherboard, the graphics card does it.

I believe the 8400 has a 2 wire SPDIF input when connected to a the 2 wire SPDIF output on the motherboard, you have HDMI audio.

Just last week, kentliin got his 8400GS HDMI audio working with AppleHDA http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=230558#p230558. Note: the Nvidia HDMI audio dsdt edits, AppleHDA_1.7.9 (available as AppleHDA Rollback in MultiBeast) and the AppleHDA binary edits are all required before HDMI audio will work.

whoa? my screenshot is missing... ic. okay i will look that post and learn.

@toleda, thanks for all the help you are providing. I saw that you and Gordo74 started work in the GeForce 210 but I can't seem to see if it all got figured out. I am in a similar situation. Below are my general stats and I have attached some files. Thanks in advance if you (or anyone else) can help.

Lion 10.7.2
Mobo: GA-EP45-UD3P
Audio: ALC889a working w/AppleHDA 2.1.3 and ALC885_889a working from VCH888.
ASUS EN210 Silent - GeForce 210 512MB

I've completed the DSDT edits (I think, can boot, etc). Attached is my DSDT.aml and my export for IOReg.

I do get this in the kernel.log

Code:
Sound assertion ""hda-gfx property indicates support expected but vendor & product ID are not known to driver!\n"" failed in AppleHDAController at line 718 goto handler

Because of this I assume I need to edit some kexts (AppleHDAController and AppleHDA). I tried and no worky - AppleHDAController. I actually had some strange keyboard problems (took awhile for the box to recognize key strokes). Anyway, got back to a standard AppleHDAController.

P.S. If you see anything else strange w/my DSDT in general, feel free to critique. I am new to DSDT editing but have a coding background. My kung fu is limited here ;)

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    19.1 KB · Views: 144
  • ioreg.zip
    397.8 KB · Views: 92
wmopnc said:
Because of this I assume I need to edit some kexts (AppleHDAController and AppleHDA). I tried and no worky - AppleHDAController. I actually had some strange keyboard problems (took awhile for the box to recognize key strokes). Anyway, got back to a standard AppleHDAController.

P.S. If you see anything else strange w/my DSDT in general, feel free to critique. I am new to DSDT editing but have a coding background. My kung fu is limited here ;)
The dsdt edits look fine. The edits appear in IOReg confirming the dsdt is correct.

The sound assertion is caused by your device_ids are missing from AppleHDA.kext

Please confirm the following:
HDAU@0,1 - device_id: 10de 0be3
IOHDACodecDevice@0,1,0 - device_id 10de 000b

Edits:
AppleHDAController binary
Find: de 10 e2 0b
Replace: de 10 e3 0b

AppleHDA binary
Find: 0a 00 de 10
Replace: 0b 00 de 10

What HDMI device is connected to your system?

A word of caution, I am aware of very limited success with HDMI audio on the GT210. This may not work even if done correctly. Good luck.

toleda said:
wmopnc said:

The dsdt edits look fine. The edits appear in IOReg confirming the dsdt is correct.

Edits:

AppleHDA binary

A word of caution, I am aware of very limited success with HDMI audio on the GT210. This may not work even if done correctly. Good luck.

Based on IOReg output the device is e3 ob and I replaced e2 ob with it. This time I lost sound and Audio MIDI Setup crashes. What I thought was strange was I replaced it 5 times in AppleHDAController, was expecting 4. Did I goof there?

When I tried this the first time I think I replaced e4 0b with e3 0b which only had 4.

Again, thanks for the help.

wmopnc said:
toleda said:
wmopnc said:

Edits:

AppleHDA binary

Based on IOReg output the device is e3 ob and I replaced e2 ob with it. This time I lost sound and Audio MIDI Setup crashes. What I thought was strange was I replaced it 5 times in AppleHDAController, was expecting 4. Did I goof there?

When I tried this the first time I think I replaced e4 0b with e3 0b which only had 4.

Again, thanks for the help.

Okay, not sure what I did, but I reviewed my steps and only had to change 4 time. So ignore the whole 5 times. Lack of coffee.

Now, see attached ioreg.zip file. I have more than just IOHDACodecDevice@0,1,0. Is that a concern? It gave me a codec id of 0x10de000b.

I did the replacements in AppleHDA and got the following kernel log.

Code:
EDID does not contain Extended EDID, not valid for audio
virtual bool IOHIDEventSystemUserClient::initWithTask(task*, void*, UInt32): Client task not privileged to open IOHIDSystem for mapping memory (e00002c1)

The good thing is my Audio MIDI does not crash now.

Attachments

• ioregv2.zip
    569.8 KB · Views: 83
wmopnc said:
Now, see attached ioreg.zip file. I have more than just IOHDACodecDevice@0,1,0. Is that a concern? It gave me a codec id of 0x10de000b.

What HDMi device is attached to your system? That error indicates your monitor does not support HDMI audio. Four IOHDACodecDevice@0,1,0-3 is correct. The id of 0x10de000b is what you edited in AppleHDA binary.

toleda said:
wmopnc said:

What HDMi device is attached to your system? That error indicates your monitor does not support HDMI audio. Four IOHDACodecDevice@0,1,0-3 is correct. The id of 0x10de000b is what you edited in AppleHDA binary.

Okay, this is where I get a little dumb. I have not yet connected a HDMI device. I have a Samsung LED LCD that I will try. I thought, regardless of it connected, I would see an HDMI device, etc. in Sound or Audio MIDI Setup. Maybe connecting the TV is the last step. Is that what you are suggesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back