Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Just checked with Big Sur 11.4, the problem is the same. So it is not related to the system.

I also updated OpenCore from 7.0 to 7.7, kexts & configuration, and BIOS too (had to reconfigure it too, so maybe I missed something)

I fixed that. I changed ASPM to L0s (Not L1, not disabled, not auto) everywhere in BIOS Platform Configuration settings and now it works well.

Yeah :(
Mine is 27MD5KL-B, so I suppose it's Titan Ridge.

Maybe I'll try to install Big Sur to another drive to check how it works.
Yea that’s the Titan Ridge version.
Anyways I am glad you got it sorted. :)

Reactions: etc
Hi everyone! Could anyone help me, please? I just built a new hack with a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card, and I have a LG 5k display I want to use. I can't get it to power on at all. Can you please tell me how you guys got this working? I don't need 5K resolution I just need to screen to work in any capacity. Below are my specs, thank you!

Asus X299 Deluxe
Intel 18 core 2.9ghz
Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card
ATi Radeon RX570
Monterey 12.6.1
Opencore latest build custom SSDT.

Hi everyone! Could anyone help me, please? I just built a new hack with a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card, and I have a LG 5k display I want to use. I can't get it to power on at all. Can you please tell me how you guys got this working? I don't need 5K resolution I just need to screen to work in any capacity. Below are my specs, thank you!

Asus X299 Deluxe
Intel 18 core 2.9ghz
ATi Radeon RX570
Monterey 12.6.1
Hi,

First things first: the card needs to power on.

If you installed the GC-Titan Ridge in an Asus motherboard, then the TB headers of the cards aren't connected because Asus boards have different headers. No headers connected = card does not power on.
To fix it, you need to short-circuit (connect together) pin 3-5 of the TB connector of the GC-TR. If you google this forum, you will find threads with pictures.

Also, depending on which version of 5K you have, you may need to provide USB 2.0 connection from X299 to TB card otherwise your screen will not power on. The first version of 5K Ultrafine does not power on without USB 2.0 connection.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you installed the GC-Titan Ridge in an Asus motherboard, then the TB headers of the cards aren't connected because Asus boards have different headers. No headers connected = card does not power on.
To fix it, you need to short-circuit (connect together) pin 3-5 of the TB connector of the GC-TR. If you google this forum, you will find threads with pictures.

Also, depending on which version of 5K you have, you may need to provide USB 2.0 connection from X299 to TB card otherwise your screen will not power on. The first version of 5K Ultrafine does not power on without USB 2.0 connection.
Hi! Thank you for the explanation. I actually do have the TB header cable connected to the Asus Deluxe motherboard. That is how I am able to use my Thunderbolt audio interface. So I believe the first step of getting power to the Titan Ridge is complete. Also its plunged into the mobo via USB 2 header. What would be the next step? I tried buying a USB -c to display cable and hooking it up to my GPU. I also tried plugging a DisplayPort cable to GPU to mini DisplayPort cable to the Titan Ridge (DP pass through). Then a Thunderbolt cable to the monitor. That doesn't work either. What am I missing? Thank you for the help its much needed...lol

Hi,

if you installed the GC-Titan Ridge in an Asus motherboard, then the TB headers of the cards aren't connected because Asus boards have different headers. No headers connected = card does not power on.

Also, depending on which version of 5k you have, you may need to provide USB 2.0 connection from X299 to TB card otherwise your screen will not power on. The first version of 5k Ultrafine does not power on without USB 2.0 connection.

I have _working_ LG 5k monitor configuration, without connecting any headers/pins/USB at all (and without flashing card with apple-compatible firmware). Just connected two 6-pin power cables from PSU.

I have _working_ LG 5k monitor configuration, without connecting any headers/pins/USB at all (and without flashing card with apple-compatible firmware). Just connected two 6-pin power cables from PSU.
Can you please take picts of how your setup is? Also whats the exact cable you are using? Thank you so much, I will be so happy to get this monitor to work!

Hi everyone! Could anyone help me, please? I just built a new hack with a titan ridge thunderbolt card, and I have a LG 5k display I want to use. I can't get it to power on at all, can you please tell me how you guys got this working? I don't need 5K resolution I just need to screen to work in any capacity. Below are my specs, thank you!

Asus X299 Deluxe
Intel 18 core 2.9ghz
ATi Radeon RX570
Monterey 12.6.1

Connect only two 6-pin power cables from your PSU, and connect _two_ DisplayPport cables to your GPU. After booting of macOS unplug, and then replug again your Thunderbolt connection. Monitor will power on. You will need to do this after each reboot. I've found a solution to avoid replugging - described it in this thread early.

Connect only two 6-pin power cables from your PSU, and connect _two_ displayport cables to your GPU. After booting of mac os unplug and then replug again your thunderbolt connection. Monitor will power on. You will need to do this after each reboot. I've found a solution to avoid replugging - described it in this thread early.
Do you use a HDMI or DP ghost plug?

Back