Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

GC-ALPINE RIDGE + GA-Z170X designare + geForce 1080Ti + 5K Ultrafine = black screen too. I'm able to remote-access the machine, but not able to have the screen working after the Apple logo.

Btw, works fine with the Ultrafine 4k...

I'm curious about this combination. So, you're saying with the motherboard, the GC AP works fine with no issues at 4K. Did you manage to get 5K working? Have you tried to see if both the GC AP and the built in THB3 works at the same time?

- I tried with and without the Alpine Ridge - 5K never works at full resolution.
- 4K (UltraFine) works fine with and without the Alpine Ridge (but with the AR, LG's USB doesn't seem to work...).
- Next step is to try with a Radeon RX - I've seen it's working better with the 5k...
(you can plug the Alpine Ridge and use the internal motherboard TB, it works fine... I didn't try to use both at the same time. (My screens are not at the same place), but it may work.)

- I tried with and without the Alpine Ridge - 5K never works at full resolution.
- 4K (UltraFine) works fine with and without the Alpine Ridge (but with the AR, LG's USB doesn't seem to work...).
- Next step is to try with a Radeon RX - I've seen it's working better with the 5k...
(you can plug the Alpine Ridge and use the internal motherboard TB, it works fine... I didn't try to use both at the same time. (My screens are not at the same place), but it may work.)

With 1060 GTX and Alpine Ridge, no 5K resolution for me. Black screen, but not crash. With One cable only, 4K Resolution; with 2 cables, black screen. Can you try a GTX 960 as mine a result? Why with GTX 960 and web drivers and One cable got 5k resolution?

with the 1080Ti, i'm only able to have the lowest resolution, not even 1440 or 4k... (with 1 or 2 cables).
I don't have a 1060 or a 960 to test, sorry :/

In OSX hiDPI 2560x1440 = 5120x2880. Is the Retina display

if I set to 5120x2880 The screen is illegible

But before talk, please know ad OS X works

thanx in advance. I would like to share this important news. Not other. my system works and if you don't believe in me is not a problem.

SEE ya
It's not 2560x1440 HiDPI, but "normal" (low-DPI) 2560x1440. The OS X pref pane would name it "HiDPI" if it was HiDPI.

Great News..
GYGABYTE Z270X UD5 + ALPINE RIDGE
with NVIDIA 1060 GTX NO 5K Resolution with LG 5K
with NVIDIA 960 GTX 5K Resolution with LG 5k with only one cable connected.

the NVIDIA GTX960 is ASUS with 4Gb

in attachment photo of what I tell you.

incredible that a old Nvidia works and with one cable
The first screen shot does not appear to be HiDPI but it does say 5120x2880.

The second and third screenshot are HiDPI, but that only describes the frame buffer. The resolution used by the display is not shown in your screenshot. macOS can scale a frame buffer to fit a larger or smaller screen. For example, a small frame buffer (such as 720x480) can be scaled up to be drawn on a larger display (such as a 2560x1440 display). It's also possible for a larger frame buffer to be drawn on a smaller display. For example, a MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2880x1800) has an option for a 3840x2400 frame buffer which is used for a 1920x1200 HiPDI mode.

In your case, you may see a 2560x1440 HiDPI (5120x2880) frame buffer, but it could be scaling to a 3840x2160 display. You need to use a program like SwitchResX to see the timing information of the current display resolution.

Displays with Onscreen Display controls (like the Dell displays) will usually tell you what the input resolution and refresh rate are. I don't think the LG display has any buttons to show that information?

if I set to 5120x2880 The screen is illegible

If the display was really using a 5120x2880 resolution, it would not be illegible. All you have to do is put your face closer to the pixels, so all the text should be as readable as any text you see on a non-HiDPI display.

It's not 2560x1440 HiDPI, but "normal" (low-DPI) 2560x1440. The OS X pref pane would name it "HiDPI" if it was HiDPI.

Actually 2560x1440 is Retina mode when using a Retina monitor.
"Normal" 2560x1440 is displayed as low res:

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 16.01.09.png

I installed SwtchResX and this is the pic

thanx Janmansilver to explain correct as Hidpi and low resolution

Interesting now I set my monitor at 3008x1692 in retina mode and screen go perfect...Incredible

If you see the selection i take as istantanea is 5180x2668

:)

Attachments

• switchres.png
    switchres.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 253
Back