Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

My programmer works at 3.3v.
But at Gigabyte's PCB, I see two Winbond chips.
On Asus only one which is strange.

Your 3-tr have two Winbond chips as in Gigabyte's Titan Ridge?

No, it has just one as yours. It's just a different implementation and it uses only one chip to store firmware & data. Titan Ridge uses a separate chip for data. The firmwares ofc are not compatible between 3-TR and Titan Ridge.

Do you have a link with detailed instructions?

Find the "Thunderbolt Bus Activation" section here:

But you don't need to activate (ie flash a modified firmware) the bus to get UltraFine 5K working.

No, it has just one as yours. It's just a different implementation and it uses only one chip to store firmware & data. Titan Ridge uses a separate chip for data. The firmwares ofc are not compatible between 3-TR and Titan Ridge.

Find the "Thunderbolt Bus Activation" section here:

But you don't need to activate (ie flash a modified firmware) the bus to get UltraFine 5K working.
OK, thanks!!

So I found Asus Maximus XIII Hero Z590 motherboard for a good price. It has two built-in Thunderbolt 4 ports on the back panel. I have a RX 580 GPU. Will this work with the later version of the LG 5K monitor?

So I found Asus Maximus XIII Hero Z590 motherboard for a good price. It has two built-in Thunderbolt 4 ports on the back panel. I have a RX 580 GPU. Will this work with the later version of the LG 5K monitor?
The tech specs say "Graphics specifications may vary between CPU types". Also, the motherboard doesn't have DisplayPort inputs. Therefore, the Thunderbolt 4 ports will be connected to the CPU's iGPU, not the RX 580.

The motherboard doesn't have a Thunderbolt header port, so a Thunderbolt add-in card may not work.

Does anyone have problems getting 5K in Big Sur? I just updated to 11.4 from 10.15.7. Can't get 5K anymore :(

UPD: Works ok with Titan Ridge, not with ASUS 3-TR

Last edited:
Hello,
Last night, in order to figure out the LG 5K display and USB problem, I did some experiments, and recorded the process and status that can be reproduced, as shown below.
LG-5K-TB.jpg

I hope someone can solve this mystery :)

Platform: LG Ultrafine 5K (old) + Gigabyte Z590 Vision D + Titan Ridge 1.0 + 6800XT + 11900K + Monterey

Hello,
Last night, in order to figure out the LG 5K display and USB problem, I did some experiments, and recorded the process and status that can be reproduced, as shown below.
View attachment 527511

I hope someone can solve this mystery :)

Platform: LG Ultrafine 5K (old) + Gigabyte Z590 Vision D + Titan Ridge 1.0 + 6800XT + 11900K + Monterey
I use an unflashed Titan Ridge 2.0. I disconnect one of DisplayPorts to boot, and then plug it back at login window to get 5K. If both cables connected at cold boot, I can't even boot to macOS

I moved my build to a Gigabyte Z590 Vision D motherboard (with embedded Thunderbolt controller) and now my LG 5K works at cold boot without a problem. (With the Asus + Titan Ridge I needed to replug Thunderbolt connector at every system startup.) It seems that Gigabyte's Titan Ridge card isn't fully compatible with Asus motherboards.

I moved my build to a Gigabyte Z590 Vision D motherboard (with embedded Thunderbolt controller) and now my LG 5K works at cold boot without a problem. (With the Asus + Titan Ridge I needed to replug Thunderbolt connector at every system startup.) It seems that Gigabyte's Titan Ridge card isn't fully compatible with Asus motherboards.
Are you sure that you get the full 5K resolution? How you managed two DisplayPort connections on this board? UltraFine 5K requires two, because it uses dp 1.2, not 1.4

With single DP connection I see boot screen on cold boot too, but then I get up scaled (from 4K) 5K resolution instead of real. To get real 5K I need to connect the second DP after boot.

Back