CPU
Intel 6700K
Graphics
MSI Radeon RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
For those wondering, I was able to get the new LG UltraFine 5k working on a GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra through the thunderbolt port. It shows up as connected via DisplayPort and can be driven at full 5k (if the graphics card supports it). The brightness controls on a Mac keyboard will control it properly and both the speakers and camera worked without doing anything special.

I'm running the MSI Radeon RX 480 with all the Clover patches to enable full acceleration.

Plugged the DP out of the RX 480 into the mini-DP in of the UD3 Ultra and the Thunderbolt out of the UD3 Ultra to the UltraFine and it booted up without any issues. Right clicking on the scaled display shows all resolutions, including 5k which tested out fine. Notably the 5k does not show up in Windows, so it seems whatever tricks were used to enable 5k are software related.

Just a note for those looking to buy and use one or two of these in a setup. If you will use this 5K monitor for work all day long it will add a significant amount to your electrical bill. 140W power draw for one monitor is much higher than your average LED IPS monitor. Also more than some graphics cards these days. I guess if you can afford one or two of these you don't worry about your electric bill. :)

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Are you running with the iGPU as primary, to get around RX 4XX booting issue? Just curious if that issue occurs with the Ultrafine 5k.

@wewright: Does it do 5K@60Hz? I'm quite surprised by this, since the monitor needs two DisplayPort 1.2 streams for full resolution / refresh rate, which you can't provide through that single mDP connector, as Thunderbolt doesn't support DisplayPort 1.3.

Just a note for those looking to buy and use one or two of these in a setup. If you will use this 5K monitor for work all day long it will add a significant amount to your electrical bill. 140W power draw for one monitor is much higher than your average LED IPS monitor. Also more than some graphics cards these days. I guess if you can afford one or two of these you don't worry about your electric bill. :)

View attachment 230375
How is it even possible? My 55" OLED TV draws 110W.

For those wondering, I was able to get the new LG UltraFine 5k working on a GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra through the thunderbolt port. It shows up as connected via DisplayPort and can be driven at full 5k (if the graphics card supports it). The brightness controls on a Mac keyboard will control it properly and both the speakers and camera worked without doing anything special.

I'm running the MSI Radeon RX 480 with all the Clover patches to enable full acceleration.

Plugged the DP out of the RX 480 into the mini-DP in of the UD3 Ultra and the Thunderbolt out of the UD3 Ultra to the UltraFine and it booted up without any issues. Right clicking on the scaled display shows all resolutions, including 5k which tested out fine. Notably the 5k does not show up in Windows, so it seems whatever tricks were used to enable 5k are software related.

Would you mind booting linux? ideally a very recent kernel version and giving a dump of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be very helpful to me.

are you able to run the RX480 with the bios set to PCIe or do you have it set to internal (onboard graphics controller)
i have mine set to Internal graphics. Sucks not being able to see the boot screen to choose between windows or mac.
I'm hoping someone will have a better option for this RX480 soon.

any more news on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back