Contribute
Register

Lexone's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC w/DSDT - i7-4770K - GTX780

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did install the kext. I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test, but 2.0 devices like flash drives work on the 3.0 ports, and even my keyboard works fine as well. The only problem is the mouse - which I fixed by plugging into the USB 2.0 port on the top of my case. Not pretty, but works for now. I'll try another mouse or get a USB 2.0 header and install on one of the back PCI bays.

Other than that, my main problem is with the random freezes. Reminds me of the Fermi freezes I used to get, but I'm running a GTX 770 now, which should not suffer from those things. Also, there's nothing on the logs at the time the freeze happens.

By the way, thank you so much for putting this guide together :D

You're very welcome and I'm glad you've found this guide useful. I'd recommend instead to buy a cheap 4-port USB 2.0 hub rather than a PCI card. My reason is because I have both, and I have noticed that the PCI card is not recognized by the Hackintosh. It works flawlessly for Windows but not detected on the Mac. If you instead plug a 4-port hub into the onboard USB 2.0 port, you can plug-in both mouse and keyboard in the back and be fine.

I too experience random freezes, at times, but I haven't been able to pin point it. Being that 99% of the time my system is stable, I could care less for the random freezes.

I'd recommend instead to buy a cheap 4-port USB 2.0 hub rather than a PCI card.
I didn't mean one of these. I meant one that connects to the pins in the motherboard, and you screw in the back of the case. It's a little more elegant than the hub, but not very different. Just looks neater.

I too experience random freezes, at times, but I haven't been able to pin point it. Being that 99% of the time my system is stable, I could care less for the random freezes.
I'm getting those freezes a little more frequently than that. Once every couple of hours, at least. That makes for a very annoying experience using the computer :p
Do you know if the people running DSDT-Free are experiencing the same freezes?

Also, why did you change the System Definition from Mac Pro 6,1 to iMac 14,2? Did you get a black screen on boot like I did?

I didn't mean one of these. I meant one that connects to the pins in the motherboard, and you screw in the back of the case. It's a little more elegant than the hub, but not very different. Just looks neater.

Send me a link of one of these so I see what you're talking about...interested...

I'm getting those freezes a little more frequently than that. Once every couple of hours, at least. That makes for a very annoying experience using the computer :p
Do you know if the people running DSDT-Free are experiencing the same freezes?

I have a friend with the same board using a DSDT-Free setup and he has been experiencing occasional freezes as well but im not sure how often. Ask WildWillow and see if he is having any issues with his rig...same board with DSDT-Free setup. My system barely ever freezes...

Also, why did you change the System Definition from Mac Pro 6,1 to iMac 14,2? Did you get a black screen on boot like I did?

I had changed back to 14,2 prior to upgrading to 10.9.3 because a true Mac Pro 6,1 uses a 2011 socket CPU, and our builds use a 1155 socket CPU which is closer in spec to an iMac 14,2. Plus, I really saw no added benefit from using the MP 6,1 system definition so I reverted back and have not had any problems.

Send me a link of one of these so I see what you're talking about...interested...

5TmVaME.jpg

Edit: Just found a two-port one in a drawer here. I'll install it and report back, but it should work just fine.
Ninja Edit: Installed and works just as expected.

Ask WildWillow and see if he is having any issues with his rig...same board with DSDT-Free setup.

Will do.

I had changed back to 14,2 prior to upgrading to 10.9.3 because a true Mac Pro 6,1 uses a 2011 socket CPU, and our builds use a 1155 socket CPU which is closer in spec to an iMac 14,2. Plus, I really saw no added benefit from using the MP 6,1 system definition so I reverted back and have not had any problems.
Makes sense. Weird that I got a black screen on the Mac Pro system def but not on iMac. Oh, well.

5TmVaME.jpg

Edit: Just found a two-port one in a drawer here. I'll install it and report back, but it should work just fine.
Ninja Edit: Installed and works just as expected.

Thanks for the graphic of this so I can see, now I understand what you meant. Glad that it works! Mac OS X detects it just fine? Can you send an amazon or newegg link for one of these? I am interested in purchasing one if you say it works out of the box

Edit: nevermid...I found one online doing a quick search!

Mac OS X detects it just fine?
That's the beauty of it - there's nothing to be even detected. It's like a front USB port in your case, just in the back.

Last night I played games on my rig for several hours without as much as a snag. I think the freezes might be related to the power management on the VGA. Maybe sometimes when it goes into the lowest power consumption mode (or even switches to the integrated graphics) OSX freezes. Might be worth investigating.

That's the beauty of it - there's nothing to be even detected. It's like a front USB port in your case, just in the back.
That's F'ing awesome...i just bought one!

Last night I played games on my rig for several hours without as much as a snag. I think the freezes might be related to the power management on the VGA. Maybe sometimes when it goes into the lowest power consumption mode (or even switches to the integrated graphics) OSX freezes. Might be worth investigating.
That may be possible, but I am not sure. I am using HDMI connection to 1 monitor and DVI to the other since it has no HDMI port. I just picked up a DVI-to-HDMI adapter along with a DVI-to-HDMI Cable to test them and see which works best so I can just utilize the HDMI ports on my GTX 780.

I just had my machine come back from sleep and sound not work. I recall seeing this somewhere here. Did anyone ever find a fix for that?

I just had my machine come back from sleep and sound not work. I recall seeing this somewhere here. Did anyone ever find a fix for that?
MultiBeast v6.3.1 has the audio fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back