Contribute
Register

Lenovo Thinkpad W540 Sierra Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it should just be a matter of adding the missing connector (depends on which ig-platform-id you're using).
Typically the 0306 connector is missing.

I tried adding "Enable fourth connector by changing port count, 0x0a260006" and "Add missing 0306 DP connector" patches from your repository but same result. Screen goes blank with a valid ig-platform-id. Attaching the problem files for both cases.

Attachments

• Invalid ig-platform-id.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • Valid ig-platform-id.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 79
I tried adding "Enable fourth connector by changing port count, 0x0a260006" and "Add missing 0306 DP connector" patches from your repository but same result. Screen goes blank with a valid ig-platform-id. Attaching the problem files for both cases.

What do you mean by "screen goes blank"?

Monitor goes to sleep mode while the laptop is on. Same as before.

What what action are you taking to make that happen?
Sorry, but you need to describe the issue fully.

What what action are you taking to make that happen?
Sorry, but you need to describe the issue fully.

Let me just start from the beginning -

1. My first problem was during install phase where the laptop display would turn black (no display) and i was not able to get to the installation step. You suggested to use an invalid ig-platform-id instead of 0a260006. The installation went through with this.

2. After the installation I changed the ig-platform-id back to 0a26006 and that caused same issue again. Laptop display turns black while the machine is still running nothing on the display. But I could get into the desktop with an invalid ig-platform-id.

3. You suggested BIOS video memory setting change + EDID injection. Both didn't help. Only difference with EDID injection was that instead of the laptop display going blank, the laptop restarts.

4. You suggested I probably need the Core display patch to defeat the pixel clock limitation for the internal display. As that is specific for high resolution display I connected the laptop with an external display(1920 x 1080) through HDMI to further troubleshoot the problem.

5. With the external monitor the the issue is similar as 2. The monitor goes to sleep mode, its power light keeps blinking with no display while the laptop is On. The laptop lid is kept closed the whole time. After this I am only testing with external display.

6. You suggested probably the HDMI port is connected to the discrete graphics and not the iGPU and to check that on windows.

7. I installed windows on another partition and found the display to be connected to iGPU and not the discrete graphics.

8. You suggested its a matter of missing connection. I searched and found related thread where you suggested two patches. I pulled latest config.plist from your repository for haswell and added those two patches in the config.plist. I tried boot again and the issue is still as 5.

I collected the Problem Files with F2 and F4 in the the case where the monitor goes to sleep mode and then I logged in using invalid ig-platform-id and collected the other set of problem files as required with my monitor connected. those have been attached.

Now, I could not verify if the display is actually connected to 0306 or some other connector. I don't know how do I check that.

Let me just start from the beginning -

1. My first problem was during install phase where the laptop display would turn black (no display) and i was not able to get to the installation step. You suggested to use an invalid ig-platform-id instead of 0a260006. The installation went through with this.

2. After the installation I changed the ig-platform-id back to 0a26006 and that caused same issue again. Laptop display turns black while the machine is still running nothing on the display. But I could get into the desktop with an invalid ig-platform-id.

3. You suggested BIOS video memory setting change + EDID injection. Both didn't help. Only difference with EDID injection was that instead of the laptop display going blank, the laptop restarts.

4. You suggested I probably need the Core display patch to defeat the pixel clock limitation for the internal display. As that is specific for high resolution display I connected the laptop with an external display(1920 x 1080) through HDMI to further troubleshoot the problem.

5. With the external monitor the the issue is similar as 2. The monitor goes to sleep mode, its power light keeps blinking with no display while the laptop is On. The laptop lid is kept closed the whole time. After this I am only testing with external display.

6. You suggested probably the HDMI port is connected to the discrete graphics and not the iGPU and to check that on windows.

7. I installed windows on another partition and found the display to be connected to iGPU and not the discrete graphics.

8. You suggested its a matter of missing connection. I searched and found related thread where you suggested two patches. I pulled latest config.plist from your repository for haswell and added those two patches in the config.plist. I tried boot again and the issue is still as 5.

I collected the Problem Files with F2 and F4 in the the case where the monitor goes to sleep mode and then I logged in using invalid ig-platform-id and collected the other set of problem files as required with my monitor connected. those have been attached.

Now, I could not verify if the display is actually connected to 0306 or some other connector. I don't know how do I check that.

Attach full "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ while using a valid ig-platform-id.
Use remote desktop if needed.

Attach full "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ while using a valid ig-platform-id.
Use remote desktop if needed.

Great :) I could remote into the machine. Attached are all the files.

Attachments

• problem-files-valid-ig-platform-id.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
Great :) I could remote into the machine. Attached are all the files.

This ioreg shows a display connected to framebuffer@2 (that is the 0204 port).

It also shows no EDID injected for the internal display.
Not surprising considering you don't have the necessary setting in your config.plist.
(you have config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=false).

Note that Haswell with high resolution internal displays will likely need a higher DVMT-prealloc and different ig-platform-id.
As per FAQ, typically you use 0xa2e0008 with 128mb DVMT-prealloc (framebuffer kext needs patching for that as 0xa2e0008 default is 64mb).

This ioreg shows a display connected to framebuffer@2 (that is the 0204 port).

It also shows no EDID injected for the internal display.
Not surprising considering you don't have the necessary setting in your config.plist.
(you have config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=false).

Note that Haswell with high resolution internal displays will likely need a higher DVMT-prealloc and different ig-platform-id.
As per FAQ, typically you use 0xa2e0008 with 128mb DVMT-prealloc (framebuffer kext needs patching for that as 0xa2e0008 default is 64mb).

I turned off the EDID injection as with EDID injection the laptop restarts. But without EDID, the laptop remains on - though the display doesn't work.

I turned off the EDID injection as with EDID injection the laptop restarts.

Probably due to inadequate framebuffer size/cursor bytes size for the display resolution.
I think you're going to need to increase DVMT-prealloc, and patch 0x0a2e0008 as appropriate (see FAQ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back