Contribute
Register

Lenovo Thinkpad W540 Sierra Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will likely need the CoreDisplay patch to defeat the pixel clock limit for your internal display.
Read FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Ok, I'll try to do that. I'll have to read about how to do that. I saw that section in the FAQ before but I thought that was for UHD displays. But just to be sure I also tried external display over HDMI which has resolution of 1920 x 1080. I had the laptop lid closed the whole time and powered the laptop on using the power button on the dock. But the behaviour is same.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hi RehabMan,
Please find all the problem files as per the FAQ. Now I am only trying with the external monitor connected via HDMI on the Dock with the laptop lid closed all the time to avoid any issue related to high resolution. The monitor resolution is 1920x1080. With these below are cases and symptoms. I have attached files for all the cases.

1. SMBIOS Product Name MacBookPro11,5 + valid ig-platform-id + EDID not injected --- The screen halts at boot screen.
2. SMBIOS Product Name MacBookPro11,5 + valid ig-platform-id + EDID injected --- Same as previous, screen halts at boot.
3. SMBIOS Product Name MacBookPro11,5 + invalid ig-platform-id --- Could get into desktop with 7 MB graphics.
4. SMBIOS Product Name MacbookPro11,1 + valid ig-platform-id --- Screen goes to sleep at boot time.

I am really stuck and need your help. These are all very new to me as I have just started out.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Problem Files.zip
    19.7 MB · Views: 91
Hi RehabMan,
Please find all the problem files as per the FAQ. Now I am only trying with the external monitor connected via HDMI on the Dock with the laptop lid closed all the time to avoid any issue related to high resolution. The monitor resolution is 1920x1080. With these below are cases and symptoms. I have attached files for all the cases.

1. SMBIOS Product Name MacBookPro11,5 + valid ig-platform-id + EDID not injected --- The screen halts at boot screen.
2. SMBIOS Product Name MacBookPro11,5 + valid ig-platform-id + EDID injected --- Same as previous, screen halts at boot.
3. SMBIOS Product Name MacBookPro11,5 + invalid ig-platform-id --- Could get into desktop with 7 MB graphics.
4. SMBIOS Product Name MacbookPro11,1 + valid ig-platform-id --- Screen goes to sleep at boot time.

I am really stuck and need your help. These are all very new to me as I have just started out.

Thanks.

Your external port may directly connected to Nvidia.
Check in Windows.

Your external port may directly connected to Nvidia.
Check in Windows.

I have been trying this with 'Video dock mode - standard' on BIOS which says it gets turned on with the integrated graphics. And, the situation is not any different with the internal display too. I don't have windows.

bios.jpg

I have been trying this with 'Video dock mode - standard' on BIOS which says it gets turned on with the integrated graphics. And, the situation is not any different with the internal display too. I don't have windows.

View attachment 278647

You need to use Windows to determine what graphics device the external monitor is connected to.
That BIOS setting probably has do to with a special dock device, not the external port built-in.

You need to use Windows to determine what graphics device the external monitor is connected to.
That BIOS setting probably has do to with a special dock device, not the external port built-in.
I am using external dock only. The laptop does not have a built in HDMI port.

I am using external dock only. The laptop does not have a built in HDMI port.

Either way. You can only find out how the external port is connected by using Windows.
Do your research.

Either way. You can only find out how the external port is connected by using Windows.
Do your research.

I installed windows 10 on the laptop and connected my external monitor exactly same way I tried with OSx. The display property says its connected to Integrated Graphics and not to the Nvidia.

display properties.PNG

This is the details from the monitor events -

Device DISPLAY\DELD082\4&1cd21395&0&UID224795 was configured.
Driver Name: monitor.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.15063.0
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: PnPMonitor.Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF2000
Matching Device Id: *PNP09FF
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_221E17AA&REV_06\3&b1bfb68&0&10

I installed windows 10 on the laptop and connected my external monitor exactly same way I tried with OSx. The display property says its connected to Integrated Graphics and not to the Nvidia.

View attachment 278920

This is the details from the monitor events -

Device DISPLAY\DELD082\4&1cd21395&0&UID224795 was configured.
Driver Name: monitor.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.15063.0
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: PnPMonitor.Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF2000
Matching Device Id: *PNP09FF
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_221E17AA&REV_06\3&b1bfb68&0&10

So, it should just be a matter of adding the missing connector (depends on which ig-platform-id you're using).
Typically the 0306 connector is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back