Contribute
Register

Lenovo T460s - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried a new 16gb USB 2.0 stick with a fresh download of 10.11.5. Still facing the same issue :(

Tried a new 16gb USB 2.0 stick with a fresh download of 10.11.5. Still facing the same issue :(

You could try legacy Clover.

You could also patch ACPI for running the installer. Rarely needed, but probably not a bad idea to try.

You could try legacy Clover.

You could also patch ACPI for running the installer. Rarely needed, but probably not a bad idea to try.
Are there any downsides to trying to use legacy clover? I'd rather not do that, if I don't have to.

Is there a guide or a good place to start for patching ACPI?

I've started to follow the guide. I have all of the tools installed, and I successfully dumped all of my ACPI files using the tutorial.

I'm somewhat familiar with DSDT files and how they work (also should mention I'm an objective-C developer, so I can follow the code to an extent) and I'm willing to spend some time debugging this. But I just don't know where to begin. Again, my issue is that it fails at the end of every install, and it seems to only be writing 200MB or so to the disk itself when it's "completed." So my first guesses would be that it could be related to SATA or USB?? Another very odd thing is that it takes a VERY long time to boot to the installer (almost 10 minutes), so maybe there's a CPU related issue as well? Any clues would be helpful!

I've started to follow the guide. I have all of the tools installed, and I successfully dumped all of my ACPI files using the tutorial.

I'm somewhat familiar with DSDT files and how they work (also should mention I'm an objective-C developer, so I can follow the code to an extent) and I'm willing to spend some time debugging this. But I just don't know where to begin. Again, my issue is that it fails at the end of every install, and it seems to only be writing 200MB or so to the disk itself when it's "completed." So my first guesses would be that it could be related to SATA or USB?? Another very odd thing is that it takes a VERY long time to boot to the installer (almost 10 minutes), so maybe there's a CPU related issue as well? Any clues would be helpful!

Booting the installer is not quick, but I must admit I've never timed it. 200MB sounds fishy (same size as EFI). Make sure you partition the drive correctly and choose the correct target partition. The new Disk Utility isn't exactly intuitive...

As far as ACPI, the guide has recommendations for "common patches"....

Booting the installer is not quick, but I must admit I've never timed it. 200MB sounds fishy (same size as EFI). Make sure you partition the drive correctly and choose the correct target partition. The new Disk Utility isn't exactly intuitive...

As far as ACPI, the guide has recommendations for "common patches"....
Instead of using the weird El Capitan disk utility, can I just use the command line? Just like we did in the guide?
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 GPT HFS+J "OSX" R

Also, I did see the common patches, but they all seemed to be unrelated to my problem.

Also I checked the log file. I'm getting "Couldn't bless the installation disk" at the end of the installation when it fails.

Last edited:
Instead of using the weird El Capitan disk utility, can I just use the command line? Just like we did in the guide?
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 GPT HFS+J "OSX" R

Yes.

Use diskutil list to make sure you're working with the correct disk (BSD names are assigned non-deterministically).

Also, I did see the common patches, but they all seemed to be unrelated to my problem.

AppleLPC can be very important... Your LPC is probably not natively recognized.
And simulating a version of Windows when running Darwin is also important ("OS Check Fix").
Besides these, there are other patches that can have wide implications across the system ("IRQ Fix", but I'm not sure of the state of Skylake and the need for IRQ Fix or not).

Also I checked the log file. I'm getting "Couldn't bless the installation disk" at the end of the installation when it fails.

The "installation" disk is what? The HDD or USB? Which stage of the install is this? Phase 1 or Phase 2?

Are you using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi?

Yes.

Use diskutil list to make sure you're working with the correct disk (BSD names are assigned non-deterministically).

AppleLPC can be very important... Your LPC is probably not natively recognized.
And simulating a version of Windows when running Darwin is also important ("OS Check Fix").
Besides these, there are other patches that can have wide implications across the system ("IRQ Fix", but I'm not sure of the state of Skylake and the need for IRQ Fix or not).

The "installation" disk is what? The HDD or USB? Which stage of the install is this? Phase 1 or Phase 2?

Are you using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi?
1. Yeah, I always use "diskutil list" first to make sure I'm working with the correct disk. My HDD is almost always disk0.
2. I'll try the LPC, OS Check Fix, and IRQ Fix and see if those make any differences. Any suggestion on which OS Check Fix to use?
3. "Installation" disk is the HDD (i.e. internal SSD). This is at the end of stage 1 (when I get the error message that installation has failed).

I've attached an upload of the output from the installer log (I stripped the thousands of lines of "font" errors so it's easier to read) if you want to take a look at the whole thing.

EDIT: Also, I'm not using EmuVariableUefi-64.

Attachments

• install_log_20160621.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Any suggestion on which OS Check Fix to use?

It varies.

3. "Installation" disk is the HDD (i.e. internal SSD). This is at the end of stage 1 (when I get the error message that installation has failed).

What kind of SSD?

EDIT: Also, I'm not using EmuVariableUefi-64.

Since non-working NVRAM in Skylake is common, it might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back