Contribute
Register

Lenovo S41 on 10.11 El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting the exact same kernel panic trying to boot El Cap on my Intel NUC 5i5ryk:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-intel-broadwell-nuc-2-0-a-5.html#post1101824

I would happy to help get this fixed as it seems to occur on various PC models and its not isolated.

I wish I had some ideas how to fix it!

Somebody just posted on the issue page at SourceForge that they fixed this error by moving their RAM from one DIMM slot to the other. If you have only one SO-DIMM in use, try moving it.

TG12 confirmed on the other thread that it was the DIMM slot.

I decided to use my newly unlocked BIOS advanced settings to try to reassign the DIMM slot to channel A, and it bricked it. Normally, you can reset the BIOS settings by removing the CMOS battery, but my system isn't even working enough for that to happen. :( I'm going to try a recovery, because holding Fn-R when starting it up does something. Though I'm not sure if even the Intel ME will be able to run with it like this.

I started a new thread specifically about the memory channel issue in El Capitan: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...anic-running-el-capitan-memory-channel-b.html

edit: CMOS reset worked! needed to remove BOTH main battery and CMOS battery and leave for a good half hour or so and it reset itself. phew, close call. :)

I went ahead and did all the post-installation steps in 10.10.5, and just to update here:

* BCM94352Z card passed BIOS with no problem (as expected, since it was listed in the service manual)
* I upgraded my ram to 16 GB using the new Crucial SO-DIMM that is out now (for Broadwell only)
* SMBIOS is MacBookPro12,1
* I used the same sequence of DSDT patches as is currently configured in the Makefile for RehabMan's u430 project repo
* I switched to a 9-series patch that I found for the USB, and from the u430 repo added only the patches for _PRW method, to enable working sleep/wake
* followed the usual guides here to also get audio, backlight keys and battery meter (no EC edits needed!)
* all hardware seems to be working great! -- even the card reader
* haven't tested HDMI audio yet

But I still don't know how to make it work with El Capitan due to this kernel panic from the RAM on the memory B channel.

But I still don't know how to make it work with El Capitan due to this kernel panic from the RAM on the memory B channel.

I figured it out! Adding a completed "Memory" key to the SMBIOS allows me to boot the El Capitan kernel. I'll go ahead and install now, and if there are any difficulties that come up, compared to 10.10.5, I'll post here.

edit: I needed an updated AppleHDA, and I got my camera and Bluetooth back after adding FakePCIID_XHCIMux and switching to BrcmPatchRAM2. However, I lost the card reader, so it looks like I still need to go through the new 10.11 USB guide in more detail (to get all the ports configured)... Still, looking pretty good!

edit: DSDT just needed [EX]HC[12] rename (first step of guide) and all ports enabled, now. Finally getting some nice breaks with this thing! :D Only thing I can think of that I'm missing is wake on USB (and built-in keyboard, too) - is this just incompatible with _PRW patch needed for wake? Or do I no longer need this patch on 10.11? Is the fix for wake using PS/2 keyboard totally separate from wake on USB? So far I haven't been able to find much info on this subject.

Is anyone out there interested in a guide for the Lenovo S41? I am a little busy right now, but I could put something together.

I'm really happy with how it turned out! Compatibility is even better than with the U430. Let's hope Lenovo sticks with the Synaptics touchpad on this one.

In 10.11.1, I just needed a Clover update to 2892 (otherwise hang) and the AppleHDA binary in that kext patched with the attached, plus the following patch to AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver plist:

Code:
--- AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist	2015-09-16 20:11:06.000000000 -0500
+++ AppleHDA1011Patched.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist	2015-10-04 20:52:32.000000000 -0500
@@ -51,6 +51,25 @@
 			<key>HDAConfigDefault</key>
 			<array>
 				<dict>
+					<key>AFGLowPowerState</key>
+					<data>
+					AwAAAA==
+					</data>
+					<key>CodecID</key>
+					<integer>283902517</integer>
+					<key>ConfigData</key>
+					<data>