Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock X99 Extreme6
CPU
E5-2690 v4
Graphics
Radeon VII
Update 6/6/17: this machine is on 10.12.5 now, which required the addition of Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup.

Due to the problems with Skylake and Kaby Lake integrated graphics, it's still the best current hardware, I think. That's all about to change, soon!

---

Hey everyone, got a new laptop, a Lenovo S41-70. Should be very similar to other models, like Lenovo U41, or S41-75. And here's some hardware info:

Broadwell / HM97
HD 5500 w/ 14" panel @ 1920x1080
One 2.5" SATA drive (max 7mm height)
One M.2 slot for Wifi/BT
single SODIMM

The good news, so far, is that there is a way to get past the default DVMT-prealloc of 32 MB. I just followed this guide and then I could access BIOS advanced menus. I changed my DVMT-prealloc to 64MB in the "Advanced" page under System Agent -> Graphics. This got me a working installation of 10.10.5 (also had to enable Legacy support to fix screen garbling).

Now as for 10.11, I'm getting a kernel panic immediately, before any other kernel messages are displayed:

Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x[addr]): "zone_init:kmem_suballoc failed"@Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/.../kern/zalloc.c

Even with the very latest Clover, which has updates to OsxAptioFixDrv for 10.11, as of r3263 (currently unreleased).

I followed this 10.11 beta Clover guide, using 2b., "manual way," config.plist for HD 5300/5500/6000 from RehabMan git, and for kexts only the FakeSMC dated 5/14/2015 from RehabMan plus VoodooPS2Controller (in Other folder).

Thanks for any thoughts.

edit: everything has been resolved now.

Screen garbling can also be fixed by setting Clover resolution to 1024x768.

To run 10.11 your config.plist needs memory info in the SMBIOS (due to the RAM connected to channel B), see page 2.

Complete list of additional (or modified, in the case of AppleHDA) kexts on El Capitan:

Code:
ACPIBatteryManager
AppleHDA-272.50-ALC235
BrcmFirmwareRepo
BrcmPatchRAM2
CodecCommander
FakePCIID
FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2
FakePCIID_XHCIMux
FakeSMC
RealtekRTL8111
VoodooPS2Controller

For 10.11.1, audio is v. 272.50.31 and is patched as per post #18.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, got a new laptop, a Lenovo S41-70. Should be very similar to other models, like Lenovo U41, or S41-75. And here's some hardware info:

Broadwell / HM97
HD 5500 w/ 14" panel @ 1920x1080
One 2.5" SATA drive (max 7mm height)
One M.2 slot for Wifi/BT
single SODIMM

The good news, so far, is that there is a way to get past the default DVMT-prealloc of 32 MB. I just followed this guide and then I could access BIOS advanced menus. I changed my DVMT-prealloc to 64MB in the "Advanced" page under System Agent -> Graphics. This got me a working installation of 10.10.5 (also had to enable Legacy support to fix screen garbling).

Now as for 10.11, I'm getting a kernel panic immediately, before any other kernel messages are displayed:

Code:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x[addr]): "zone_init:kmem_suballoc failed"@Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/.../kern/zalloc.c

Even with the very latest Clover, which has updates to OsxAptioFixDrv for 10.11, as of r3263 (currently unreleased).

I followed this 10.11 beta Clover guide, using 2b., "manual way," config.plist for HD 5300/5500/6000 from RehabMan git, and for kexts only the FakeSMC dated 5/14/2015 from RehabMan plus VoodooPS2Controller (in Other folder).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Panic is booting the installer, or when attempting to boot installed partition?

Post EFI/Clover folder.

Booting the installer. Including with Intel inject set to false.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 289
Booting the installer. Including with Intel inject set to false.

Try using VboxHFS instead of HFSPlus. Some people report issues with HFSPlus+Broadwell (makes me think someone needs to extract new HFSPlus from a Broadwell Mac).

This config.plist has Inject/Intel=true.

You could also try safe mode as that removes some of the kexts that would normally run...

Try using VboxHFS instead of HFSPlus. Some people report issues with HFSPlus+Broadwell (makes me think someone needs to extract new HFSPlus from a Broadwell Mac).

With VBoxHFS in place of HFSPlus I get a hang right after the line, "Using reloc block: yes, hibernate wake: no."

This config.plist has Inject/Intel=true.

Yeah, I know. But I flipped the setting in that exact file and tried it again right before posting, just to double check.

You could also try safe mode as that removes some of the kexts that would normally run...

No change. :(

With VBoxHFS in place of HFSPlus I get a hang right after the line, "Using reloc block: yes, hibernate wake: no."

I'd have to see the image, but could be a USB problem.

I'd have to see the image, but could be a USB problem.

Just now I used the method 2b, referenced earlier, to manually set up the installer onto an 8GB partition of the hard drive. Then, using Clover installed onto the HD ESP with same files, booting to this new installer partition, I see the same behavior no matter which version of OsxAptioFixDrv: Kernel panic with "zone_init: kmem_suballoc failed" (interesting it's no longer a hang when trying OsxAptioFix2Drv).

That takes the USB out of the equation, doesn't it?

.. to manually set up the installer onto an 8GB partition of the hard drive. ...

That takes the USB out of the equation, doesn't it?

Yes.

Maybe I should try applying the usual DSDT patches in my Yosemite installation, and then using that to run the 10.11 installer? I know that ordinarily a patched DSDT is not needed for installation, but maybe with El Capitan that has changed for some laptops.

The only other thing I can think of is that it might be some BIOS option. I have a lot now, although some of them are current levels and other scary looking things.

edit: Here are photos of the BIOS screens.

Attachments

• BIOS photos.zip
    73.4 MB · Views: 867
Maybe I should try applying the usual DSDT patches in my Yosemite installation, and then using that to run the 10.11 installer? I know that ordinarily a patched DSDT is not needed for installation, but maybe with El Capitan that has changed for some laptops.

Always worth a try. Make sure your config.plist is setup for patched ACPI as well.

The only other thing I can think of is that it might be some BIOS option. I have a lot now, although some of them are current levels and other scary looking things.

edit: Here are photos of the BIOS screens.

Definitely a lot of options there. I bet certain options, if changed, could brick the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back