Contribute
Register

Largely successful: HP ProBook 470 G0 10.8.5 with ProBook Installer 6.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, RehabMan and nguyenmac!
Given tutorial solved the problem.
I had to search it before asking.

I'm not really sure RehabMan, I couldn't boot to Chameleon after installing Windows 8. I tried reinstalling Chimera/Chameleon, no help. Only after make OS X partition, I could get Chameleon, and Windows 8 worked normally. It was when I used Chameleon. Have no problem with UEFI.

That could have several causes:
- boot0 problem
- UEFI install of Windows
- HFS+ partition prior to the one with boot1h PBR (eg. case of having an empty HFS+ "to be used later" *before* the partition that you actually have boot1h installed to)
- using boot0 instead of boot0md

That could have several causes:
- boot0 problem
- UEFI install of Windows
- HFS+ partition prior to the one with boot1h PBR (eg. case of having an empty HFS+ "to be used later" *before* the partition that you actually have boot1h installed to)
- using boot0 instead of boot0md

I didn't have boot0 problem, and Windows was Legacy. I have no idea with two other reasons, they maybe the real problem. Can't understand the boot process (boot0, boot0md) on MBR Legacy :banghead:

I didn't have boot0 problem, and Windows was Legacy. I have no idea with two other reasons, they maybe the real problem. Can't understand the boot process (boot0, boot0md) on MBR Legacy :banghead:

boot process:
boot0[md](MBR) -> boot1h(PBR) -> boot

boot0 (MBR) looks at only the active partition to find boot1h (PBR)

Note: Rough description follows. In reality, it is a bit more complex, but this covers the scenario you likely had...

boot0md looks at active first (looking for HFS+ w/PBR), failing that, looks at each HFS+ partition (on first the boot disk, next on all other disks) in order looking for a PBR, failing that will just launch a Windows PBR found.

The Chameleon/Chimera installer installs boot0 if it does not see an existing Windows install, boot0md otherwise. So sometimes, you get caught without boot0md where appropriate (installing Windows after installing Chimera), and in that case you have boot0 using the active partition (Windows) and running it's PBR (Windows bootloader) instead of Chimera/Chameleon.

boot process:
boot0[md](MBR) -> boot1h(PBR) -> boot

boot0 (MBR) looks at only the active partition to find boot1h (PBR)

Note: Rough description follows. In reality, it is a bit more complex, but this covers the scenario you likely had...

boot0md looks at active first (looking for HFS+ w/PBR), failing that, looks at each HFS+ partition (on first the boot disk, next on all other disks) in order looking for a PBR, failing that will just launch a Windows PBR found.

The Chameleon/Chimera installer installs boot0 if it does not see an existing Windows install, boot0md otherwise. So sometimes, you get caught without boot0md where appropriate (installing Windows after installing Chimera), and in that case you have boot0 using the active partition (Windows) and running it's PBR (Windows bootloader) instead of Chimera/Chameleon.

Thank you for your instruction, so the problem must be that because I installed Windows after Chimera/Chameleon, so Chimera/Chameleon installed boot0 in MBR instead of boot0md. Then when Elaman and I installed Windows later, it will boot0 -> PBR of active partition (Windows). The correct way is boot0md -> PBR on bootable HFS partition. So active OS X is not the best way for this, we only need to reinstall boot0md in place of boot0 right?

Last question: How can we install boot0md on normal drive and 4K drive?

Thank you for your instruction, so the problem must be that because I installed Windows after Chimera/Chameleon, so Chimera/Chameleon installed boot0 in MBR instead of boot0md. Then when Elaman and I installed Windows later, it will boot0 -> PBR of active partition (Windows). The correct way is boot0md -> PBR on bootable HFS partition. So active OS X is not the best way for this, we only need to reinstall boot0md in place of boot0 right?

Likely.

Last question: How can we install boot0md on normal drive and 4K drive?

boot0md is not affected by 4k/af issues (the issue happens with the PBR, not MBR). The 'boot0' problem is somewhat misnamed because it is really a "boot1h" problem, but causes a boot0 error (because boot0 can't find boot1h). That is, the problem happens because the boot1h PBR cannot be written to a 4k/af drive when the partition is mounted.

I connected Samsung monitor to VGA port and it is not working. Is possible to fix it?

I will try to connect using HDMI later, hope it will be possible to make dual screen.
And if not maybe I could buy Apple TV and use monitor for dual screening?

I connected Samsung monitor to VGA port and it is not working. Is possible to fix it?
I will try to connect using HDMI later, hope it will be possible to make dual screen.
And if not maybe I could buy Apple TV and use monitor for dual screening?

VGA does not work with HD4000. You can use a HDMI -> VGA adapter.

Hardware:
HP ProBook 470 G0 i7-3632QM 8GB 750GB HD 8750M Win 7 + 8 Pro (H6P56EA)
Upgrade to 16GB RAM
Chipset Intel HM 76 Express
Display 1600 x 900
Dual graphics Intel HD 4000 / Radeon HD 8750M
750GB HD
DTS Sound+
HD Webcam
GB LAN
WLAN 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth 4.0

Did you get the dual graphics working?
I have a similar probook (i5) and the same Radeon, but i cant see it in the hardware viewer or get it working.

I asked in an other threat how to enable it and was told it is impossible...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/131834-probook-470-g0-enable-radeon-8750m.html

can someone of you help me?
Dont really want to dual boot, because it will result in me only using windows again ;)

greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back