Contribute
Register

Laptop screen goes blank when plugging in external monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried 0xb5 and the laptop screen is still blank when the external monitor is working. The original actually was 0xa5.

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-6f4.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 75
  • edid-orig.txt.zip
    814 bytes · Views: 72
I just tried 0xb5 and the laptop screen is still blank when the external monitor is working. The original actually was 0xa5.

Use the FixEDID app to come up with other values.

Use the FixEDID app to come up with other values.
THANK YOU!!!! Seriously, I was just going to go through them all one by one, but I got to the macbook air one and it worked! I had to use the whole EDID, not just one or 2 values. Here is the one that worked for anyone else with this issue.
Code:
00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 06 10 F2 9C 00 00 00 00
1A 15 01 04 95 1A 0E 78 02 EF 05 97 57 54 92 27
22 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 4D D0 00 A0 F0 70 3E 80 30 20
35 00 59 C2 10 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FC 00 43 6F 6C
6F 72 20 4C 43 44 0A 20 20 20 00 00 00 FE 00 42
4F 45 20 48 46 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FE
00 4E 56 31 35 36 51 55 4D 2D 4E 35 31 0A 00 CD

Thanks again Rehabman! You have no idea how happy I am to have this working! :)

THANK YOU!!!! Seriously, I was just going to go through them all one by one, but I got to the macbook air one and it worked! I had to use the whole EDID, not just one or 2 values. Here is the one that worked for anyone else with this issue.

Could you tell me if you used this for the Yoga 720 13 or 720 15?
And where did you placed the code above?
best Regards,
Dan

Could you tell me if you used this for the Yoga 720 13 or 720 15?
And where did you placed the code above?
best Regards,
Dan
I used the yoga 720 15. I was following your post about high sierra to get most everything else working.

To fix this problem I used the display override method that rehabman suggested. Here is a guide on how to do it. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/override-edid-for-display-problem.47200/ . You have to create a .plist file that you place in your /system/library/displays/contents/resources/overrides folder in a very specific way that the guide explains. Then you copy and paste your EDID into said .plist. Then repair permissions using terminal.

Code:
sudo chown -R 0 /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-9e5/DisplayProductID-6f4

Except instead of using "DisplayVendorID-9e5/DisplayProductID-6f4" . Use the folder and file name you created using the display override guide.

To make the new EDID. I used FixEDID app found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...e-overrides-automatically-for-apple-displays/

Since I already had a display override patch I was using, I only used the app to generate an EDID.bin file. Then used AWEDID Editor to open it and export a .dat file that I could change to .txt and copy and paste information from to get a more clean looking EDID. More clean as in no table information. Also, it should only be 128 bytes, so I left off the 8 rows of zeros generated by AWEDID Editor.

To extract your original EDID, I used AWEDID Editor in windows. There are other methods of getting your EDID.bin file. I'm not a computer programmer and realize there were a lot of things I did that could have been done more efficiently by someone with more experience. But I hope this information helps! I would not have been able to figure any of this out without the help of Rehabman, who we all know is a genius, and without whom not many of us would even be able to do this. Also thanks to to thefiredragon, coolstarorg and many others for posting and sharing information. :)

Perhaps you can send me your actual dispaly fix file which u are using at the moment?
I'm also trying to solve this problem at the moment and it would help me really.

I'm hanging how here:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>DisplayProductID</key>
    <integer>1780</integer>
    <key>DisplayProductName</key>
    <string>4k Hackbook Display</string>
    <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
    <integer>2533</integer>
    <key>IODisplayEDID</key>
    <data>
    AP///////wAJ5fQGAAAAAAEaAQSAIxN4AqJgpFdQoCUUUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
    AQEBTdAAoPBwPoAwIDUAWcIQAAAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/gBCT0UgSEYK
    ICAgICAgAAAA/gBOVjE1NlFVTS1ONTEKAOc=
    </data>
</dict>
</plist>

I do not know how you generated the IODisplayEDID string.
And also how you changed the offset.
This was a old one which you provided here,

Also I do not understand how the FixEDID app works,
When I click on the make button whats happened?
Where are this created files stored?
It's confusing me.

So I understand I need like you to use my hex edid , need to change the offset and put this into the plist editor under the correct section.

But also how I can change the offset?
Also Rehabman told you you should use FixEDID to get other values?
What does he man with this?

best Regards,

Last edited:
So I had ty out a lot of things here,

How I understand I need to create a new patched edid bin and shrink this file after I open the created file with awedid..
But my part is that my new created edid has more than 200 bytes when I open and export it with awedid..

could you help me @GeeztownProductions

So I had ty out a lot of things here,

How I understand I need to create a new patched edid bin and shrink this file after I open the created file with awedid..
But my part is that my new created edid has more than 200 bytes when I open and export it with awedid..

could you help me @GeeztownProductions

Hey, sorry it took me a little while to get back to you. I wasn't receiving notifications. You are right, AWEDID editor seems to give you double the size EDID you need. I just deleted the extra zeros.

For the FixEDID app, you need your original edid .bin file. There are several ways to get it, but I used AWEDID editor in Windows. You have to load that .bin file into fixEDID, and then select a device you want to use (imac, macbook air, macbook pro). When you make the override file using fixEDID, I think it saves it to your desktop. In the file that is created by fixEDID, you can get the EDID values for the imac, macbook air, or whatever you chose. The override file is actually a .plist file but without the file extension. It's important to leave the .plist off of the end of the file name when you put it in your overrides folder and correctly named displayvendorid folder. But I would suggest using a .plist editor to edit those files.
Once you get an override file from fixEDID, copy that EDID value into your override file. The value that worked for me was the macbook air I think.

It's been a couple months since I did this so I hope I'm remembering correctly.

Here is my current working display override file. Unzip it and place the folder in system/library/displays/contents/resources/overrides.

I hope that helps.
-Aaron

Attachments

• DisplayVendorID-9e5.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back