Contribute
Register

Laptop screen goes blank when plugging in external monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rog g751jl touch Laptop, Clover UEFI
CPU
4th Gen Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz processor
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 965M graphics
Hi,

I have an Asus g751 that I have made into a Hackintosh running Sierra. I have almost everything working properly but...

• If I plug in a monitor into the HDMI port on the laptop, the laptop screen goes black and is not recognized, yet the external monitor works.
  • If I plug a monitor into my OWC thunderbolt dock hdmi port AND into plug another monitor into the laptop hdmi port I have two external monitors but still blank screen on the laptop
  • If I plug a monitor into the OWC dock hdmi after Mac OS boots, the logon screen on the laptop screen will remain frozen but I can see and use and login on the external screen which displays fine and logs in as normal, yet the laptop screen will remain frozen until restart or shutdown.
  • If I plug a TV that is not on standby into OWC dock hdmi only prior to booting Mac OS, then both the laptop screen and the TV will display but if it's with a monitor on standby not a TV, this results in the laptop screen freezing, yet displaying fine on the external display.
I have Nvidia web graphics working, GTX 965m. I noticed the display screen on the laptop does not have a name like the TV and external monitor when not using an external screen, it just says Nvidia GTX 965m 1080p for the monitor name.

Two external monitors plus the laptop screen in Windows 10 works fine using the same connections as above (thunderbolt dock hdmi, laptop hdmi port)

Any thoughts on what I should try to get it working in Sierra? I couldn't find a similar problem like this on the forum.

Thanks

Hi,

I have an Asus g751 that I have made into a Hackintosh running Sierra. I have almost everything working properly but...

• If I plug in a monitor into the HDMI port on the laptop, the laptop screen goes black and is not recognized, yet the external monitor works.
  • If I plug a monitor into my OWC thunderbolt dock hdmi port AND into plug another monitor into the laptop hdmi port I have two external monitors but still blank screen on the laptop
  • If I plug a monitor into the OWC dock hdmi after Mac OS boots, the logon screen on the laptop screen will remain frozen but I can see and use and login on the external screen which displays fine and logs in as normal, yet the laptop screen will remain frozen until restart or shutdown.
  • If I plug a TV that is not on standby into OWC dock hdmi only prior to booting Mac OS, then both the laptop screen and the TV will display but if it's with a monitor on standby not a TV, this results in the laptop screen freezing, yet displaying fine on the external display.
I have Nvidia web graphics working, GTX 965m. I noticed the display screen on the laptop does not have a name like the TV and external monitor when not using an external screen, it just says Nvidia GTX 965m 1080p for the monitor name.

Two external monitors plus the laptop screen in Windows 10 works fine using the same connections as above (thunderbolt dock hdmi, laptop hdmi port)

Any thoughts on what I should try to get it working in Sierra? I couldn't find a similar problem like this on the forum.

Thanks
moved to laptop support

same here also Asus ROG G751 JY, BUMP, tried many dsdt patch apple hda guides but they are all a mess.... i was told something is wrong with nvidia ports not being injected but i did not manage to patch anything to get it working....

Attachments

• Grims iMac2.zip
    953.1 KB · Views: 148
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 135
  • RehabMan.zip
    34 KB · Views: 112
  • command.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 282
Hi,

Thanks

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I have attached all the requested troubleshooting files except for the IOreg extraction as the IORegistryExplorer application has the scrolling color wheel over the file button and won't let me click the menu.

Hopefully this is enough to work out what the problem might be.

Thanks.

Attachments

• seinfeld4u_troubleshootingfiles.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 163
this is a tutorial i "kind of" understand and i think its the answer to our questions.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/

i have the same problems like you, no laptop screen after plugging in HDMI, after unplugging no screens at all, i managed to patch SSDT-7.aml (GPU is in here) so my GPU is GFX1 named, but nothing changed.....

also i have the same problem that IORegistryExplorer is freezing and beach ball mouse cursor is preventing me from using app or its menu.

IOJones is working better !

i think our GPU is at \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0

see picture what happens if i plug in HDMI cable. display0 was correctly working in NVDA,Display-A@0, after plugging in IOJones sais its "broken" or something?

picture mac2.png -> i have GFX0 in \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0 but another GFX0 in \_SB.PCI0.GFX0....

and another one:

i restarted IOJones after plugging in HDMI cable, and suddenly it finds 2 x display0

Laptop-screen only (1 x display0 in IOJones):

NVDA,Display-A@0
av-signal-type: <10 00 00 00>

HDMI-plugged in (2 x display0 in IOJones):

NVDA,Display-A@0
NVDA,Display-C@2
av-signal-type: <08 00 00 00>

worth anything?

Attachments

• mac1.png
    mac1.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 416
  • mac2.png
    mac2.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 379
  • mac3.png
    mac3.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Hi blackmetallive,

We both have almost the same laptop except mine is the g751jl and yours is the g751jt so the graphics card is different, mine is GTX 965m and yours is GTX 980m, yet the graphics display problem when using HDMI is the same. I wonder why this is? We both have i7 4720hq cpu but I am using Smbios MacBookPro11,2 whereas you have Smbios MacBookPro11,1 There must be something we are missing, don't know if it's an Asus thing with how the screen is connected directly to the GPU, not swapping between the graphics on the cpu to the gpu like on other laptops that do that to save battery power, maybe we need an extra step.

Did you do the whole guide that you linked to?

Last edited:
hi,

yes, i did it but its no difference, in my ioreg the GPU is called GFX0 and this should be ok. i was told that we have to set connector types

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...10hq-gtx-980m-help.152000/page-4#post-1532904

i did, but it didnt change anything (or i did it wrong). also i googled and found out, my laptop does NOT have intel HD 4600 (like it is told in internet), maybe it was a few years ago but mine has it completely disabled, also no BIOS settings. nvidia is only GPU.

i plugged in HDMI and checked IOReg, then i saw that i have 2 displays:

NVDA,Display-A@0
NVDA,Display-C@2
av-signal-type: <08 00 00 00>

then i made SSDT script

Code:
// Add HDMI audio support for Nvidia device at _SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0 (PEGP renamed to GFX0 by config.plist)
DefinitionBlock("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "NV", 0)
{
    External(\_SB.PCI0.PEG0, DeviceObj)
    External(\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0, DeviceObj)

Scope(\_SB.PCI0.PEG0)
    {
        Scope(GFX0)
        {
            Name(_SUN, 1)
            Method(_DSM, 4)
            {
                If (!Arg2) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
                Return (Package()
                {
                    "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-2" },
                    "@0,connector-type", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00 },
                    "@1,connector-type", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00 },
                    #if 0
                    "@3,connector-type", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00 },
                    "@4,connector-type", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00 },
                    #endif
                })
            }
        }
        Device(HDAU)
        {
            Name(_ADR, 1)
            Method(_DSM, 4)
            {
                If (!Arg2) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
                Return (Package()
                {
                    "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-2" },
                    "layout-id", Buffer() { 1, 0, 0, 0 },
                })
            }
        }
    }
}

but still the same problems.... maybe i do something wrong.

if i plug in HDMI, i also dont have the option to mirror screen, split screen, extend, in mac preferences -> screens.

glad i found someone with the same problems, the rest of the hackintosh is working very nicely. we have to tell if we found a solution

I have attached all the requested troubleshooting files except for the IOreg extraction as the IORegistryExplorer application has the scrolling color wheel over the file button and won't let me click the menu.

Hopefully this is enough to work out what the problem might be.

Thanks.

No ioreg. It is required. Make sure you use IORegistryExplorer v2.1.
No files in ACPI/origin. It is required. You forgot to press F4 in Clover before collecting EFI/Clover.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back