Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup: Now that's cool ! And you're going with the Intel Z77RE-75K board ? What version of OSX will you be running ? What version of PT do you use ? I read somewhere in this thread that you wanted to use an UAD Apollo, do you already have it ?
And hey ! 20+ years of PT ? Wow ! You must have seen the very 1st version !

Yes, although it only has one Thunderbolt port it does have more SATA and USB ports than the Gigabyte equivalent. I need to be able to hot swap drives.

Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I am not afraid of running the latest version. Just check Avid's site to make sure. I usually wait 4-6 months before stepping up to the next major version.

I am also running the latest PT 10.3. Remember 64 bit is around the corner and this is a game changer. Right now PT will only have 3 Gigs of RAM available natively because it is still 32 bit. This is one of the reasons why you can buy a Mac Pro, but never really touch on its true power. HD rigs have RAM Disk Cache and their own processing cards to get around this.
To have access to all your RAM you need 64 bit which is supposedly going to be in PT 11. This will get everyone one step closer to a PT HD rig. Putting all your virtual instruments on a SSD will also make an improvement. You want to try to run your sessions almost entirely in RAM if you can.

So...you need PT 11 (64 bit) to access all of your RAM then you need a Thunderbolt interface to get your latency down to less than 2ms. That is when you start competing with a HD rig that would run you between $5000.00 - $9000.00.
Thunderbolt is the other game changer. Firewire and USB have terrible latency. These are basically consumer grade interfaces for entry level recording. The first time you run a session at 64 samples you start to understand the importance of this....

It should be delivered to me today. :headbang:

One of the first and it was a pain in the ass...o_O

Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I am not afraid of running the latest version. Just check Avid's site to make sure. I usually wait 4-6 months before stepping up to the next major version.
Not afraid either, but when it comes to the overall system performance, i tend to be demanding. And although i bought Lion when it went out (at 1st tested on my home iMac 27, eventually went up to 10.7.4), i was more than deceived by its overall performance compared to SL (10.6.8). I had the impression that with Lion, Apple wanted to satisfy mostly the genaral public and not the pros. Seemed like a fat lazy lion to me, resting under a tree (its name is brilliant :p), found workflow was less efficient, and all the GUI gizmos / supposed enhancements as well as iCloud basically useless on a work-only machine. And on top of that, it turned out that PT (had to wait for HD 9.0.5 mandatory update for Lion to install 10.7.4 on my MacPro) had suffered an obvious loss of efficiency in the process, even becoming unstable sometimes, so i eventually went back to SL, and everything went rock solid & fast again. Haven't tried ML yet though, but i sincerely do hope it's not as miserable as Lion.
Actually, as i own an PTHD license, upgrading to PTHD10, if we set aside the financial aspect, wouldn't help me a lot as it's not yet certified for ML (though i think regular PT10 is), and anyway my MacPro (1,1) won't run on ML if i understood well, only MacPro3,1 and up are allowed. This is also why i'm considering a Hackinsoth move !

I am also running the latest PT 10.3. Remember 64 bit is around the corner and this is a game changer. Right now PT will only have 3 Gigs of RAM available natively because it is still 32 bit. This is one of the reasons why you can buy a Mac Pro, but never really touch on its true power. HD rigs have RAM Disk Cache and their own processing cards to get around this.
To have access to all your RAM you need 64 bit which is supposedly going to be in PT 11. This will get everyone one step closer to a PT HD rig. Putting all your virtual instruments on a SSD will also make an improvement. You want to try to run your sessions almost entirely in RAM if you can.

So...you need 64 bit to access all of your RAM then you need a Thunderbolt interface to get your latency down to less than 2ms. That is when you start competing with a HD rig that would run you between $5000.00 - $9000.00.
Thunderbolt is the other game changer. Firewire and USB have terrible latency. These are basically consumer grade interfaces for entry level recording. The first time you run a session at 64 samples you start to understand the importance of this....
Yes, i'm aware of all this. I've recently been mixing on a brand new monster BTO MacPro 12 core 3.06 with 64GB ram, all SSD (there was a 940GB SSD inside for sessions !), the latest PT10HDX system (with the RAM disk cache of course). Incredible power, believe me i've seen the difference, never seen that before... Oooh how i wish this ($20k+) system was mine ! But Mr Taxman did beat me a lot this year (yet another reason for the Hackintosh move !). He beat me so well, that before next summer i'll have to be very cautious with my accounting. That means also that i'll have to make choices, and a wise one is for me to upgrade to PTHD10 first ! Then gather the bits and pieces for my dream hack ! UAD Apollo will come last on the list (next summer i guess), although i'm also considering an Apogee Symphony PCIe based system (less than 2ms latency as well). So in the mean time, my faithful Digi002R (a modified one) will have to be up and running !

Ah ! I can't wait to hear about how yours will perform...

Just FYI, Mountain Lion runs much faster than Lion in my experience on both hacks and real Macs. Also, this board ony supports a max of 32GB RAM, so unfortunately it's not quite as much as that DreamMac Pro you described, XBassman.

Just FYI, Mountain Lion runs much faster than Lion in my experience on both hacks and real Macs. Also, this board ony supports a max of 32GB RAM, so unfortunately it's not quite as much as that DreamMac Pro you described, XBassman.
No problem ! 32GB RAM is more than enough for my needs ! And basically, my aim is not to replicate such a MacPro, because anyway i couldn't come close to such power with a single i7, even outrageously OC'ed... If I wanted that, i'd look for something like an EVGA SR-X board with dual Xeons (something like that ? Btw, that one made me sweat ! :eek:), which in turns could be even more powerful, but... Not the same kind of budget ! :rolleyes:

But good to hear that ML is a better performer than Lion ! I might give it a try on my home iMac 27 then ! :thumbup:

I got the computer assembled and unibeast/mountain lion 10.8.2 installed, found a combination that allowed Multibeast to install :crazy:. I could not figure out how to use Kextbeast so I downloaded Kextdrop (http://www.groths.org/?page_id=598) and added the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext. Restarted the computer and I get the Apple logo with the progress wheel, but it will not go any further than that :banghead:.
Hopefully someone can chime in and tell me how to get to the desktop without reinstalling the OS again for the 4th time.
thanks

If you are using an Ivy Bridge CPU, I don't think you need the power management kext. You also don't need an SSDT.
It's only if you have a Sandy Bridge CPU that you need to follow my guide to the letter.

To use kextbeast, all you do is put any kext you want to install on the desktop and then run it.

I checked the following...
Drivers and Bootloaders > Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Without DSDT > ALC898 audio driver
Disk > Third Party eSATA (hot swappable)
Network > hnak's AppleIntel1000E Ethernet (I am not sure I need this one. It appears ethernet was working natively since I had internet access)
Boot Options > Use KernelCashe (I am not sure why you have this one)
System Definitions > Mac Mini (so I can have access to thunderbolt)
Themes > tonymac86

If i dont need the power management kext, where is it so I can remove it?
When I double click on Kextbeast it asks me to install it which i did, but I dont know where it is. I am running ivy bridge so I tried as few combinations in Multibeast as possible, but when I restart the computer I still cant past the progress wheel on the apple logo screen. Also should the Intel skull show up first everytime you start the computer? Also the Chimera screen shows up second where I have to choose the OS X drive. Is there a way to just start the computer and have OS X start up?

The skull always shows up unless you turn off "show splash screen" in BIOS or you boot in UEFI-only mode (which wouldn't work since Chimera doesn't use UEFI).

Before doing anything with the powermanagement kext, can you post a screenshot of where it hangs with -v? Since you can get to the spinning wheel, that indicates that there actually might be nothing wrong on the power management side.
But, to remove the powermanagement kext, you need to replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with the unpatched original. Hopefully you made a backup of it before you replaced it. Do you have any other mac that could hook the drive up to via usb and replace it that way?

Kextbeast works by simply copying any kexts on your desktop into /System/Library/Extensions, it just uses the OS X installer interface to do that, so after running it you may need to repair permissions.

To make Chimera skip straight to OS X is a bad idea, since then you won't have the ability to use the command interface. You can do it, but you can also set a timeout for 1 second by adding
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]<key>Timeout</key>
[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] <string>1</string>[/COLOR]
to org.chameleon.Boot.plist via TextEdit.

Sorry I edited my post below...

When I get to the chimera screen I dont see where I can type anything in on the screen. It only shows me either the Unibeast flash drive or the OSX drive. If that helps. I do have a Macbook Pro, but I am not sure how I would use it unless putting it in target mode, but since I cant get the Hack to start I can go in again one more time and reinstall the OS and let you know when I get to the desktop to install Multibeast again. It takes about 30 minutes to do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back