Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks ! I'm new here, but eager to learn ! :ugeek:

My Mac Pro has been faithful and rock solid for quite a long time (since 2006 actually), but i must admit that although it is still a quite powerful Mac, i'd appreciate some more power to face the increasing demand from the latest software that i run, which are rather CPU hungry. I run a small project studio using mostly ProTools 9 HD with dedicated hardware, also use Logic Pro if necessary…

I must say i got quite depressed lately as i browsed the Apple store in search of replacement, way too expensive not to mention that the line of MacPros doesn't seem to be a priority for Apple. That's why I started looking more closely at Hackintoshes, and of course that's why I eventually landed here ! Which is rather inevitable i guess… :rolleyes:

All resources and knowledge found on this site made me jump the step, so i decided my next Mac would be a Hack. :mrgreen:

I've been reading this particular thread with great attention because the Intel DZ77RE-75K mobo has the features i'm looking for (Thunderbolt and Firewire), but also because i've had bad experiences with Gigabyte hardware (which is mostly recommended here) in the past while assembling Windows PCs for my own use. :thumbdown:

So my next system could be something like that:

- Intel DZ77RE-75K mobo
- i7 3770 or 3770K or 2770K CPU (not decided yet, but feel free to advise)
- 32 GB Ram (4x8 GB, any advice for which brand to choose ?)
- ATi Radeon HD5770 (i could be wrong, but this one will be trouble free as it's natively supported since SL)
- a 128 GB SSD boot disk
- 2x 1TB HD (but might add some more in the future, and why not large SSDs ?)
- A rackmount case with a proper PSU and silent cooling fans (any advice on that ?)
- I'll be using my dual display configuration (both 22")

The only problem i see is that i run ProTools 9 HD (natively, without Avid PCIe cards) on OSX 10.6.8, although i've tried Lion (10.7.4), i went back to SL because the whole system was a lot faster and more stable running Protools :)beachball:). ML is out of question, PT9 doesn't run on it, even PT10 doesn't run on it (not to mention that an upgrade from PT9 HD to PT10 HD would cost me more than a 1000 bucks :eek:). So I guess i'm stucked with SL for now, and anyway i have no use for icloud and the latest ML gizmos on this work-only machine…

Therefore, I have 2 important questions:
- would such a Hackintosh run flawlessly on SL ? Subsequently, how do i manage such a wizardy ? :crazy:
- Is Firewire working as it should ? I ask this because my audio hardware connects to Firewire, although i plan to use a Thunderbolt audio interface in the future (UA Apollo just like Michaiel plans to do ! :thumbup:)

Thanks in advance !

Hi, thanks for taking interest in this!

I have good news and bad news for you, though:
First off, for the good news, the hardware specs you've got listed look great for a hackintosh.

However, the bad news is that you CAN'T easily run Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge, as it barely even supports Sandy Bridge. The guide that lets you use SL on Ivy Bridge (http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html) is actually a way to install it to upgrade it to ML. Also, unfortunately, I can't help you with Snow Leopard because I've only ever worked with Lion and Mountain Lion, so while your build is great, it just won't run want you want it to. While with Windows it's surprisingly no problem to install older OSes on newer hardware (like, say, DOS on Z77), Macs, since they're so proprietary, need to have the latest versions to run on PC hardware because of Apple's incremental/gradual move to more PC-oriented parts.

I wish I could be more helpful, but that's all I know. Sorry! :(

...So my next system could be something like that:
- Intel DZ77RE-75K mobo
- i7 3770 or 3770K or 2770K CPU (not decided yet, but feel free to advise)
- ATi Radeon HD5770 (i could be wrong, but this one will be trouble free as it's natively supported since SL)
- ...​

The only problem i see is that i run ProTools 9 HD (natively, without Avid PCIe cards) on OSX 10.6.8, although i've tried Lion (10.7.4), i went back to SL because the whole system was a lot faster and more stable running ProTools :)beachball:). ML is out of question, PT9 doesn't run on it, even PT10 doesn't run on it (not to mention that an upgrade from PT9 HD to PT10 HD would cost me more than a 1000 bucks :eek:). So I guess i'm stucked with SL for now, and anyway i have no use for icloud and the latest ML gizmos on this work-only machine…

Therefore, I have 2 important questions:
- would such a Hackintosh run flawlessly on SL ? Subsequently, how do i manage such a wizardy ? :crazy:
- Is Firewire working as it should ? I ask this because my audio hardware connects to Firewire, although i plan to use a Thunderbolt audio interface in the future (UA Apollo just like Michaiel plans to do ! :thumbup:)
You are not alone with your desire not to spend the Big $$$ to upgrade to a newer Pro Tools. However, you're in the 0.001% of the user base on this Forum with you desire to keep running Pro Tools 9. Try the search on Pro Tools for more info. I'd also look at my Zorro build configuration, but with a 5770 graphics card (still works great even in Mt Lion) which you can probably find on eBay. Good luck! :thumbup:

Hi, thanks for taking interest in this!

I have good news and bad news for you, though:
First off, for the good news, the hardware specs you've got listed look great for a hackintosh.

However, the bad news is that you CAN'T easily run Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge, as it barely even supports Sandy Bridge. The guide that lets you use SL on Ivy Bridge (http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html) is actually a way to install it to upgrade it to ML. Also, unfortunately, I can't help you with Snow Leopard because I've only ever worked with Lion and Mountain Lion, so while your build is great, it just won't run want you want it to. While with Windows it's surprisingly no problem to install older OSes on newer hardware (like, say, DOS on Z77), Macs, since they're so proprietary, need to have the latest versions to run on PC hardware because of Apple's incremental/gradual move to more PC-oriented parts.

I wish I could be more helpful, but that's all I know. Sorry! :(
Yes, actually i've read a little more around here about the bad news... But i've seen you're running a i7 2600k, correct me if 'im wrong but that's a Sandy Bridge CPU, so maybe i could have a chance to make it work ? Or is it the Z77 chipset that is causing the trouble ?
My mid 2011 iMac 27 (on which i'm writing right now) is a Sandy Bridge and is running on SL 10.6.8 without a single problem, and all i can tell is that it's running much faster on SL than on Lion (yes i've tried it with a 10.7.4 clean install for a couple of weeks, but i went back to SL because i was really disappointed about its poor performance), a simple launch of Photoshop CS5 will tell you the huge difference. Plus i don't really use iCloud (i like to keep my data at home !), and i must say the supposed enhancement of the GUI isn't one in my personal point of view, tends to be counter productive workflow-wise. But then again, that's only my opinion and also an OT problem...
But thanks anyway for your response !

Z77 is Ivy Bridge, so, yes, that's where the problem arises. You pretty much can't get thunderbolt on Sandy Bridge, since, except for the Light Peak-equipped Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros, thunderbolt basically doesn't exist on that platform...

Great build :thumbup:
I'm not sure how I didn't see this sooner; thanks!! :D

You are not alone with your desire not to spend the Big $$$ to upgrade to a newer Pro Tools. However, you're in the 0.001% of the user base on this Forum with you desire to keep running Pro Tools 9. Try the search on Pro Tools for more info. I'd also look at my Zorro build configuration, but with a 5770 graphics card (still works great even in Mt Lion) which you can probably find on eBay. Good luck! :thumbup:
Yes I already spent a lot of money on the update from PT8LE to PT9HD, and wasn't entitled for a free upgrade when PT10HD launched (because i updated to 9 too early !). But being in the music business, i can tell you that many pro-level studios are exactly in the same case as mine, and around me maybe only 2 out of 10 made the upgrade to PT10HD, some even stayed on PT8HD !

Searching in the forum about PT confirmed what i already knew: better keep running 10.6.8 for PT, even if you have PT10 ! Take a look at the Avid User Conference and you'll see all the complaints about running PT with Lion, although it seems to work for some, I'm not sure i'll take a chance on it, simply because that's my business and i can't afford to have a not-fully functional studio. And ML ? It's not qualified at all for ProTools ! Again, some say they've successfully been running PT10 on ML, but i seriously doubt it, even more if it's for real professional sessions. Last version of OSX officially qualified by Avid is Lion 10.7.4.

Yes ! Took a peek on your Zorro build which is cool and made me realize i could go without a graphic card, as H3000 seems to be powerful enough for what i have to do and is apparently supported under SL 10.6.8, but as i mentioned earlier in the thread my hack should have Thunderbolt for future sound gear upgrade as cool TB pro-level audio interface are beginning to show up on the market (UAD Apollo and Avid PTHD native interface).

So now, the question is:
Can i find a mobo with TB & FW and an older chipset (which seem to be a problem in the case of the Z77) in order to run SL 10.6.8 ?
And of course a TB card is out of question as it will probably never exist...

Thanks anyway !

Z77 is Ivy Bridge, so, yes, that's where the problem arises. You pretty much can't get thunderbolt on Sandy Bridge, since, except for the Light Peak-equipped Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros, thunderbolt basically doesn't exist on that platform...
Hmm ?? What exactly is Light Peak ? My Sandy Bridge iMac 27" is equipped with dual TB ports which is fully supported by SL 10.6.8, so i would guess Sandy Bridge is supporting TB, makes sense ?

Light peak was the codename for the 1st generation thunderbolt controller (when Apple had the exclusivity agreement). The Apple motherboards are the ONLY Sandy Bridge motherboards with thunderbolt; no PC motherboard has both Sandy Bridge/a 6-series chipset and thunderbolt.

It even says on Intel's site that the DZ77RE-75K is the first PC motherboard to support thunderbolt at all. (Technically, the MSI Z77-GD80 came out around the same time, too, but they're both Ivy Bridge.)

So, if you want thunderbolt on a hackintosh, you'll need and Ivy Bridge motherboard, which will only really work with Lion or later. :|

So, if you want thunderbolt on a hackintosh, you'll need and Ivy Bridge motherboard, which will only really work with Lion or later. :|
Yes... Bad news indeed. So i guess i'll have to spend my money on a PT10HD upgrade first. Looked on Ebay, I actually could find some between 650 and 750 USD (which is a lot better than the 1000+ Avid is asking for it). Consequently, this means also that i'll have to wait to build that dream Hackintosh using the Intel DZ77RE-75K. :problem:

But a few more questions regarding this, and thanks for your time btw, and for the precious advice you gave all along this thread !
So, if i decide to run it with Lion, will every feature work as good as it does with ML ? (But anyway i hope that by the time i'll have the funds to start this build, Avid will have an update of PT10HD that runs correctly on ML)
What if I decide to go without a graphic card ? Can I still get dual monitors to work correctly ? Read a bunch of reviews and H3000/4000 performance seem to be rather sufficient for what i plan to use this computer for.
Is Firewire working properly ? Is there a secondary FW port on this mobo that i could route to the front of the case ?
Got a little confused with the USB glitches you encountered, could you summarize what's ok and what's not ?:crazy:

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back