Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I can tell you for sure right now it's not a USB problem.

Since you got that far, it looks like you don't need to patch the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement--usually that kernel panic only appears at the very beginning of the boot sequence. Although, you can still try to use this kext, which is the one I recommend for DZ77RE-75Ks.

To install, download KextBeast, put the power management kext on your desktop, run kextbeast, and then repair permissions via disk utility.

This looks more like a graphics card issue, though, honestly. The NTFS driver initialization, at least on my system, is the last thing that happens before the login screen appears/the graphics card gets initialized. Since your GTX 690 isn't connected and you're using the HD 4000, change the "IGD Minimum Memory" option in the UEFI to 64MB, and try booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Hopefully it's an easy fix, but if neither of those things do it then we can try some other things.

You're using Mountain Lion, right?

Hi KNNSpeed,

Thanks for the quick reply! :thumbup:
I agree, I'm sure the GTX690 will be another project in itself.

You are correct on the video assumption.
As stated in the original post, I am using the HD 4000 via HDMI, but I have not set up my bios the way you have.
I saw you posted a pic of your settings in this thread. I am dying to get back to the house and give that a try.
I will also try your suggestion with the patched kext. I had seen it, but I wasn't sure if I should go for it.
But I have your blessing, so I'll give it a try.

I think a core problem is the following line (but then again, I'm a newbie at this):
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]WARNING[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#660066]IOPlatformPluginUtil[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] getCPUIDInfo[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#000088]this [/COLOR][COLOR=#000088]is[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] an unknown CPU model [/COLOR][COLOR=#006666]0x3a[/COLOR]

As I understand it, there was a time where Ivy Bridge processors were not recognized because no Apple products had this hardware implemented. If I am not mistaken, this is no longer the case since the Mac Book Pro now sports the Ivy Bridge processors.
Therefore, I am somewhat perplexed that my UniBeast install would not have the proper setup to detect it.
I am using UniBeast - Mountain Lion 1.7.0 and I downloaded the latest Mountain Lion from the App Store(10.8.3?).

On a side note:
I saw some videos on youtube which used a different (easier looking) method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25eN7ktgMn8

I would like to hear other experienced users' opinion on this approach, as I am not experienced enough to judge whether it is a good way to go or not...

Either way, I'm going to tinker with this feedback, and get back to you on my success/failure.

Thanks again for helping a newbie :D
I think I'm starting to understand most of this.

Don't worry about that CPU error--it happens to ALL i7-3770Ks. It means it's working! :D

I think you caught my above post before I edited it for clarity, but I see you got all the important things out of it. :)

I would avoid using that Youtube guide--it doesn't look as easy as it seems, and watching the first few minutes already had me thinking, "this is way too complicated already." Also, the lifehacker guide had some things wrong about this motherboard. For example, the "Quick Boot" change doesn't mean anything for us--the only thing we really need to do at all is to change the SATA mode to AHCI and mess with the graphics settings. (Also, turning off Wake-on-Lan prevents the board from restarting after being issued an OS X shutdown command.)

I'd recommend following Tonymac's guide for the initial Unibeast stuff, and then mine for everything else, as I tried to explain everything in such a way that it'll all "just work" with minimal hassle.

Edit: Well it seems the spam filter blocked the OP when I tried to edit my guide.
I'm uploading it as an html document to this post in the meantime...
View attachment build.html.zip

...Well it seems the spam filter blocked the OP when I tried to edit my guide.
I'm uploading it as an html document to this post in the meantime...
View attachment 52164
Yes, sorry 'bout that. Just be patient when your updated OP don't appear. If you update it between 9pm - 8am ET (US), you will have to await a moderator with enough caffeine in him to approve the post as the Sticky post states.

Hi KNNSpeed,

I went back and fiddled around a little more.

I was able to get into OS X via safe mode using '-x'
I installed all of Multibeast as per your spec.
I did find some issues in that process...
I noticed I was missing the "org.chameleon.boot.plist", even if I installed chimera from Multibeast multiple times.
I opted to do a clean OS X install and go with EasyBeast because it generates the plist.
I then installed the MacMini 6,1 smbios via Multibeast to replace the one generated with EasyBeast config.

I am using OS X 10.8.3

I am encountering what seems to be a very common Kernel Panic.
It seems that it is the IntelAppleCpuPowerManagement.kext (IACPM)
(forgive me, my camera decided to screw up last minute):
IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG

I have tried the following combinations:
  • Multibeast (Mountain Lion 5.2.1) patched IACPM ---Not working
  • Patched IACPM posted in your guide ---Not working
  • Multibeast (Mountain Lion 5.2.1) NullCPUPowerManagement ---Not working
This is the current setup:
Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 8.15.57 PM.jpg

Looking as though I installed the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, this should solve the Kernel Panic.
However, I seem to get the same Kernel Panic regardless of the 3 approaches I have taken.

I am at a loss here...
Isn't the Kernel Panic supposed to go away with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext? Should I at least not get a different Kernel Panic?
Maybe I'm missing a step?

Is there a way for me to check if I really am actually using NullCPUPowerManagement, and not IACPM?
Do you see anything in my approach that could lead to issues?

I have repaired permissions every step of the way with Disk Utility.

Hmm... The kext linked to in my build is basically the best one to use.
I think by installing EasyBeast you messed up some other settings (which is why I specifically don't have it checked in MultiBeast). You should just download my plist (attached) and modify it to your needs. If you boot into OS X using the UniBeast USB stick, you should be able to replace the powermanagement kext with the one I recommended, too, in addition to replacing the plist. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend starting over and using my plist because EasyBeast really messed things up for me the last time I used it.

Yes, sorry 'bout that. Just be patient when your updated OP don't appear. If you update it between 9pm - 8am ET (US), you will have to await a moderator with enough caffeine in him to approve the post as the Sticky post states.
Ah, ok--thanks Stork!
For reference, what is the maximum number of links I can have? I think I might need to move the in-text credits and attach them in a text document as footnotes since I have so many.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    507 bytes · Views: 261
KNNSpeed,
It's our SPAM filter that gets you. I look at the list of post awaiting approval at least once an hour from my first coffee to when I hear the sheets calling my name. So, if you're a night owl or an early riser, you'll have to wait for one of us approves your post, as I said in a sticky in the User/Golden Builds forum sections.

I don't recommend you split up your original post as it it won't read well. Plus, I'll have to modify the time stamp so that your split posts will follow one another, appropriately. So, just hang in there. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply and the plist, KNNSpeed.

Due to some time constraints (Need to finish coding an Xcode app), I had to install a modified OSX VM on my system.
Since my computer has some pretty high specs, It's been able to run it well enough to finish my work.

As soon as I'm done with the project, I will have time to give this another try.
This will be around June.

I will try it again then and get back to you.

For now, thanks for all the help KNNSpeed! You've been more than helpful and I appreciate that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back