Graphics
9800 GT+
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently updated my old Dell 435MT to Yosemite 10.10.5 after a few years of stable 10.8.5 installation. After installing with Unibeast, EastDSDT in Multibeast, re-figuring out how to get the SATA drives working properly (IOFamily.kext), I still can't figure out why kernel_task runs with 80-100% CPU constantly and seems to make the system sluggish and run hot.

I have tried this method, removing plist files in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext ->ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZVaVaLOIWM

I have tried booting into safe mode with -x

I have tried unplugging every accessory except for keyboard and mouse.

Anything else I can try to diagnose this problem?

Looking further at the problem, it looks like I must have a problem kext somewhere. Booted into my old backup drive of 10.8.5 and no kernel_task problem. Is there any efficient way to test kexts without having to remove/reboot/kernel panic every one?

I am having a similar problem but with 10.11.2 and didn't have this problem with mavericks. Cannot figure it out but the kernel_task seems to be associated with my network/ethernet connection. Looking at network data for it shows very high amounts and it's always using 1.5-2gb memory.

I did fix mine- rolling back the AppleACPIPlatformRollback kext in MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back