1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[Solved] - Kernel Panic with MultiBeast 5.3 and LaCie USB3 Drives

Anyone else having Kernel Panic on boot with LaCie USB3 drives connected or the System hanging when connecting a LaCie USB3 drive?

None of my LaCie Rugged USB3 drives will work with the MultiBeast 5.3 update. My other USB3 drives, "WD My Passport", all work fine.

The LaCie USB3 were also working just fine under 10.8.3 with MultiBeast 5.2.1. The only change was I rand MultiBeast 5.3 installer. Machine boots fine without the drive connected. Also boots fine with other USB3 drives connected. Any LaCie USB3 Rugger (I have 3 here) crashes the machine.

My System:
Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 4GB
Mac OSX 10.8.3

Snapshot of the Kernel Panic when a LaCie Rugged is connected to USB3 on boot:
kernel_panic.jpg

So I've not done a full reinstall and still my LaCie Rugged USB3 drives crash the machine when I connect them or they cause a kernel panic if they are connected before I boot.

They worked fine with MultiBeast 5.2.1...

:(

A quick update for anyone else having this issue.

Replace the GenericUSBXHCI.kext that is installed with MultiBeast 5.3 with the latest build (1.2.0) from Zenith432 found here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

Repair permissions and reboot. LaCie Rugged USB3 drives no longer causes a kernel panic.

:)
HEY! i had the same thing and found this post quickly, im putting on the modified kext and will report back if it does not fix the hang issue with the lacie usb3 drives.

thanks!

well i applied the current version at the link and still get kernel panic hang when plugging in usb3 lacie rugged...

Not a LaCie drive, but just replaced my external Seagate drive (3TB drive died and replacing with a new 4TB drive for backups). USB2 is fine, USB3 immediately kernel panics.

The above fix did not work (using 1.2.4), but it looks like I already had a version of the Zenith drivers in place from the current MultiBeast. Swapped bases with the old dead drive, and the new drive is working fine. Looks like there is an issue with the newest Seagate USB3 implementation.

Yes, exactly the same issue here. As soon as i attach a Lacie Rugged on USB3 the system hangs. When i boot with the drive attached; kernel panic. USB2 is fine. A Seagate USB3 drive is also fine. A powered Raidon USB3 drive is fine too.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Intel Core i7 3770K

MultiBeast 5.3.1
OSX 10.8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back