CPU
i7-8565U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920 x1080
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
A while ago I got High Sierra installed and working on my laptop. However it was slow on my hardware and didn't work with Adobe cs3, which meant that it was rather useless to me.
So now after plenty of Windows 10 frustrations I have decided to try and install mac os again. El Capitan is what I decided on because I know that Adobe cs3 works on it and it is a bit less resource heavy then Sierra.
So I prepared my installer using this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/. But I am running into a kernel panic while trying to boot into the installer. I at first thought that my laptop had dvmt set to 128mb because that was what Windows showed as the Dedicated Vram in graphics properties, so I disabled the WhateverGreen graphics patch (changing value from 1 to 2) in my config.plist, this however resulted in a kernel panic (CPU 2 caller). So I re-enabled the dvmt patch thinking Windows must be showing the wrong dvmt, and that it is less than 64mb. But after enabling the patch I am still getting a kernel panic (but it has changed to "CPU 0 caller" this time).
If you look in the config.plist I do have my memory info in correctly (I think), and the plist has only been modified using PlistEdit Pro.
Any help would be appreciated, I will have a picture of the kernel panic and my clover folder attached, laptop specs are in my profile, as per problem reporting in RehabMan's guide.

Attachments

• 20181101_132456.jpg
    20181101_132456.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 249
  • CLOVER.zip
    7 MB · Views: 145
A while ago I got High Sierra installed and working on my laptop. However it was slow on my hardware and didn't work with Adobe cs3, which meant that it was rather useless to me.
So now after plenty of Windows 10 frustrations I have decided to try and install mac os again. El Capitan is what I decided on because I know that Adobe cs3 works on it and it is a bit less resource heavy then Sierra.
So I prepared my installer using this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/. But I am running into a kernel panic while trying to boot into the installer. I at first thought that my laptop had dvmt set to 128mb because that was what Windows showed as the Dedicated Vram in graphics properties, so I disabled the WhateverGreen graphics patch (changing value from 1 to 2) in my config.plist, this however resulted in a kernel panic (CPU 2 caller). So I re-enabled the dvmt patch thinking Windows must be showing the wrong dvmt, and that it is less than 64mb. But after enabling the patch I am still getting a kernel panic (but it has changed to "CPU 0 caller" this time).
If you look in the config.plist I do have my memory info in correctly (I think), and the plist has only been modified using PlistEdit Pro.
Any help would be appreciated, I will have a picture of the kernel panic and my clover folder attached, laptop specs are in my profile, as per problem reporting in RehabMan's guide.

See if you can boot with an invalid ig-platform-id (0x12345678).

See if you can boot with an invalid ig-platform-id (0x12345678).
Booting with an invalid ig-platform-id worked. :) No more kernel panics.
However, now I have a new problem, when I get to the installer, it says that mac os x is already installed.

When googling this error it said to reformat my drive so I did that (see pics from disk utility), and then restarted, but I am still getting the same error.
I think it must be somehow linked to the fact that I am having to use the boot flag -no_compat_check, because when I don't use this flag I get the following error message.

The only way I have found to get past this error is to use -no_compat_check.
If you have any insight on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank for the help thus far.

Attachments

• 20181102_115517.jpg
    20181102_115517.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 280
  • 20181102_115545.jpg
    20181102_115545.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 159
  • 20181102_115555.jpg
    20181102_115555.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 150
  • 20181102_115710.jpg
    20181102_115710.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 263
  • CLOVER.zip
    7 MB · Views: 134
Got El Capitan installed, it turned out all i had to do was change may model identifier to iMac 14,2, and boom no more need for -no_compat_check, and no silly error about mac os being installed already.
Now on to post install, if all goes well I will have a hackintosh :)

Booting with an invalid ig-platform-id worked. :) No more kernel panics.
However, now I have a new problem, when I get to the installer, it says that mac os x is already installed.

When googling this error it said to reformat my drive so I did that (see pics from disk utility), and then restarted, but I am still getting the same error.
I think it must be somehow linked to the fact that I am having to use the boot flag -no_compat_check, because when I don't use this flag I get the following error message.

The only way I have found to get past this error is to use -no_compat_check.
If you have any insight on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank for the help thus far.

Don't use an SMBIOS that is not supported by the version of OS X that you're installing.

Yes, I looked it up iMac 14,2, what I am now using is a late 2013, MacBook Pro 13,2 is a 2016, Sierra would be the lowest os supported by that.
So iMac 14,2 should be fine, no reason to change it, right?

Having issues booting with the WhateverGreen + Lilu patch. I started with an invalid ig-platform-id, rebuilt kextcache, and tried to boot without an invalid id. But it kernel panicked, so i tried booting safe mode and it started without a invalid id, so i rebuilt kextcache. Shutdown and tried to boot normal, still no success. So to recap, if i boot with invalid platform id, fine, except that it shows with only 4mb. Boot with inject intel turned off, kernel panic. Boot with inject intel turned off plus safe mode, fine, shows 1500mb ram for Intel GPU, but i am in safe mode, so I can't do much.
Also if i boot verbose with inject intel off it does not kneel panic but it hangs right here. 20181103_083644.jpg

I have used the script to attach problem reporting files.

Attachments

• 20181103_083644.jpg
    20181103_083644.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 291
  • 20181103_083832.jpg
    20181103_083832.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 713
  • debug_4104.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
Yes, I looked it up iMac 14,2, what I am now using is a late 2013, MacBook Pro 13,2 is a 2016, Sierra would be the lowest os supported by that.
So iMac 14,2 should be fine, no reason to change it, right?

The last image you showed earlier proves the version of OS X you're trying to install does not support the SMBIOS you're using.

Having issues booting with the WhateverGreen + Lilu patch. I started with an invalid ig-platform-id, rebuilt kextcache, and tried to boot without an invalid id. But it kernel panicked, so i tried booting safe mode and it started without a invalid id, so i rebuilt kextcache. Shutdown and tried to boot normal, still no success. So to recap, if i boot with invalid platform id, fine, except that it shows with only 4mb. Boot with inject intel turned off, kernel panic. Boot with inject intel turned off plus safe mode, fine, shows 1500mb ram for Intel GPU, but i am in safe mode, so I can't do much.
Also if i boot verbose with inject intel off it does not kneel panic but it hangs right here. 20181103_083644.jpg

I have used the script to attach problem reporting files.

Make sure you configured EFI/Clover according to the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Imac 14,2 is fine, it no longer shows that mac os x is not supported, and 14,2 is a 2013 which I have and know it supports El Capitan. I am now past all the smbios problems.
My new problem is that I am unable to boot without an invalid ig-platform-id (post install), I have configured my clover folder according to that guide. However when I boot I still get this panic 20181103_083832.jpg. If i boot with verbose enable it will hang here 20181103_083644.jpg, it doesn't actually show a kp, it just hangs at IO Graphics Flags 0x43.
If i boot into safe mode then it works fine, i have tried rebuilding kextcache in safe mode, but it still panics when doing a normal boot.
If i boot with an invalid ig-platform-id it will boot (not in safe mode) but without proper graphics.

Attachments

• 20181103_083832.jpg
    20181103_083832.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 208
  • 20181103_083644.jpg
    20181103_083644.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 188
  • debug_4104.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back