Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

The past days I've spent a lot of time getting Snow Leopard to work on my laptop, but without success. I have already gotten a lot of help in de SL Desktop support section, but as you can imagine, that is not the right place for problems concerning notebooks (original post is here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...21-kernel-panic-during-snow-leopard-boot.html) Thus, in this post I will attempt to list as much useful info as possible to try and solve this problem.

It concerns a rather old Acer notebook, an Aspire 8930G. Below are my system specs:

CPU
Name: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6400
Specification: Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.00GHz
Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
Cores: 2; Threads: 2

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire 8930G-643G25Mn LE2
Chipset: Intel PM45 Rev. 07
Southbridge: Intel 82801M (ICH9-M) Rev. 03

BIOS
Brand: Acer
Version: InsydeH2O Version V1.20
Date: 03/16/2010
This BIOS supports AHCI, which is enabled.

Memory
Type: DDR3
Size: 3072 MBytes

GPU
Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
Revision: C1
Memory: 512 MBytes
This is the only GPU; it is an internal one.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Now, I have browsed these forums for a bit and did see briefly that SL should be able to boot on my model. I did not find any post with the same machine having same problem.

The issue here is that booting SL causes kernel panic. I have tried lots of different things to solve it, including passing bootflags and using different versions of iBoot. They did not help. I am not sure what causes this kernel panic, so I'm not sure what to do next. What I can do is posting some pictures of my problem.

Booting without bootflags always fails.
The first photo below shows what happens when I boot from CD with iBoot 3.3.0, change to the SL disk when iBoot has loaded, and use the bootflags -x -v acpi=off PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes:
IMG_0823.jpg

Note: when I boot from CD with iBoot, the menu options all get messed up. Guess it has something to do with the size of the screen. Not sure what causes it, so I thought it´d be better if I reported this.

This last picture shows what happens if I use the same flags as above, however here I´m using iBoot Legacy 2.7.2:
IMG_0825.jpg

Does anybody know what's going wrong? You have my thanks.

I have finally managed to get SL working on my laptop. However, I have used a different installation method than the one on this website, so it's against the rules to elaborate about it.
Point is, I got it working, and looking at my laptop specs, I am quite confident it can even run Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back