Jim's Suggested Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Suggested Builds for New Users

very nice post mate!
will surely help once my current comp dies haha

Nice HTPC...
But wouldn't want a stock cooler in it (unless you only watch action movies with lots of explosions ;))...

very nice post mate!
will surely help once my current comp dies haha

Thanks! I love the feedback, keep it comin'!

Lnx2Mac said:
Nice HTPC...
But wouldn't want a stock cooler in it (unless you only watch action movies with lots of explosions ;))...

Haha I was thinking of you when I built the HTMac.. but what stock cooler would you recommend? The case only has a height of 5.4 5.3 inches.

Hey there,

Great post, with regard to the HT build what would you loose out on if you went from the GA-H55M-UD2H to the GA-P55M-UD4?

Cheers
:)

flatfoot said:
jimx86 said:
… but what stock cooler would you recommend? The case only has a height of 5.4 5.3 inches.

Scythe Shuriken
The Big Shuriken...

BTW, its reviews put it on par with the performance of some 'standard size' coolers... in a league of its own.

Not only is the Big Shuriken's measured noise level lower at this comparison point, its fan sounds a lot smoother as well. This comparison makes it clear that the Big Shuriken is capable of taking on some of the "standard-size" midrange heatsinks.
Source: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article964-page7.html

and

Scythe Big Shuriken: The best cooler of the bunch, in a league of its own. Not only did it claim a substantial performance lead, Big Shuriken easily has the smoothest, quietest fan. Our only but very serious complaint is the LGA775 stock mounting mechanism — it is a very poor choice given the tiny space between them and the main fin array above it. Installation is almost a guaranteed exercise in frustration unless you happen to be gnome.
Source: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article964-page8.html

Luckily we are not on LGA775 ;)

mcshewring said:
Hey there,

Great post, with regard to the HT build what would you loose out on if you went from the GA-H55M-UD2H to the GA-P55M-UD4?

Cheers
:)

Hey mcshewring! Actually, nothing much - both boards you mentioned are microATX, and both basically have the same support for OS X (except the P55M has ALC 889a, which is better in OS X terms compared to the H55M's ALC 889). Maybe a few features will be left out of the BIOS, but for the average HT user, nothing to be mad about ;) .

Hope that answers your question!

Lnx2Mac said:
flatfoot said:
jimx86 said:
… but what stock cooler would you recommend? The case only has a height of 5.4 5.3 inches.

Scythe Shuriken
The Big Shuriken...

Alright, thanks BOTH flatfoot and Lnx2Mac! I'll look into that, maybe I'll make the Big Shuriken optional as the CPU shouldn't be on load too much with an HT build so the stock fan wouldn't have to work hard, either.

And thanks for catching my "stock" cooler mess up! I'll fix that in my own post, too! :D

jimx86 said:
Alright, thanks BOTH flatfoot and Lnx2Mac! I'll look into that, maybe I'll make the Big Shuriken optional as the CPU shouldn't be on load too much with an HT build so the stock fan wouldn't have to work hard, either.

The Big Shuriken is quieter than the stock cooler and gives better cooling. I'd say it's a must have in a small case, especially since it isn't expensive.

flatfoot said:
jimx86 said:

The Big Shuriken is quieter than the stock cooler and gives better cooling. I'd say it's a must have in a small case, especially since it isn't expensive.

Well... the guy speaking owns a mac pro ;)

Some people are on a budget (I remember how long it took me to gather my cash for this sub-$800 build), and I'll try to respect that.

Edit: I made the fan optional, but recommended. Happy? :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back