Contribute
Register

Issues with Z68X-UD3H-B3 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little info from Apple about how hardware specific ML is. Frustratingly ambiguous. From the ML FAQ page http://prod.lists.apple.com/archives/greatlakes/2012/Aug/msg00000.html.

Apple FAQ said:
How can I deploy Mountain Lion to many machines?
You can deploy OS X Mountain Lion using the same mass installation techniques you use today. To install Mountain Lion on multiple systems on a network, simply copy the Install OS X Mountain Lion application to the target system, then run the installer. Mountain Lion will install in place, so there’s no need to start up from an external disk. Administrators can also use the System Image Utility included in OS X Mountain Lion Server to create a NetInstall or NetRestore image.
Sure makes it sound like one image supports all installations.

Apple FAQ said:
Does Apple still use hardware-specific installers, or will the Mountain Lion installer downloaded from the Mac App Store work on all Apple computers?
As has always been the case, new Apple computers often come with a special build of the operating system specific to that computer (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186). When a new version of Mountain Lion becomes available (a "dot-release") this usually includes support for all models manufactured prior to its release. One advantage of the Mac App Store distribution model is that these dot-releases will generally be made available on the Mac App Store immediately without the need to wait for a "reference release" as was the case in the past (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1443). Information on what specific build(s) of OS X came with a given model of computer, see this article:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
Does this suggest otherwise? Are the dot-releases somehow different?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Family 6, Model 42(02Ah), Stepping 7. I did note earlier that my HD3000 graphics device id is 0x0112. A lot of posting say that's unique to the i5-2500K. Is that the same as yours? I used the DVI port.

Again, thanks for digging into all this.

Ok... I have an i7-2700K so the specs are different but please do not OC it. I use the DVI too. and Do not change the memory timing ... even with this use the default timing or even slower during the installation.

Anyway I downloaded the OSX ML with the help of friend of mine's MBP many months ago (v. 10.8.0) and put it on the USB stick. Recently I re-downloaded it direcly from my rig (with my Apple ID and App Store) and put it in a little (8GB) hidden partition put on the bottom of the boot HDD, and now, for speed up things I booted from the stick but then I installed directly from the HDD hidden part.: 10 min and you're done! :)

A little info from Apple about how hardware specific ML is. Frustratingly ambiguous. From the ML FAQ page http://prod.lists.apple.com/archives/greatlakes/2012/Aug/msg00000.html.

Sure makes it sound like one image supports all installations.

Does this suggest otherwise? Are the dot-releases somehow different?

No, I don't think so. I guess the dot-releases are the same, maybe the incremental updates are different and machine-dependent.

Anyway another thing:
which motherboard do you have? rev. 1.0 or rev. 1.3?

Ok... I have an i7-2700K so the specs are different but please do not OC it. I use the DVI too. and Do not change the memory timing ... even with this use the default timing or even slower during the installation.
Runs stock, no OC'ing. If you go into system profile and look at the graphics/display settings, what is your device id? Most HD3000's seem to be 0x0126. The i5-2500K is 0x0112 which Apple does not include in its plists.

There's a thread on this topic on TM at http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/69978-i5-2500k-device-id-0x0112-owners-thread-hd-3000-qe-ci.html but it talks more about QE/QI functionality than my problem.

Anyway I downloaded the OSX ML with the help of friend of mine's MBP many months ago (v. 10.8.0) and put it on the USB stick. Recently I re-downloaded it direcly from my rig (with my Apple ID and App Store) and put it in a little (8GB) hidden partition put on the bottom of the boot HDD, and now, for speed up things I booted from the stick but then I installed directly from the HDD hidden part.: 10 min and you're done! :)
So you did a clean install with 1.8.2 and not a 1.8.0 install and 1.8.2 upgrade, right?

Runs stock, no OC'ing. If you go into system profile and look at the graphics/display settings, what is your device id? Most HD3000's seem to be 0x0126. The i5-2500K is 0x0112 which Apple does not include in its plists.

There's a thread on this topic on TM at http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/69978-i5-2500k-device-id-0x0112-owners-thread-hd-3000-qe-ci.html but it talks more about QE/QI functionality than my problem.

So you did a clean install with 1.8.2 and not a 1.8.0 install and 1.8.2 upgrade, right?

my HD3000 hardware's ID is 0x0122 . I guess it depends on the fact that I have the 2700k model.

And yes I did a clean install with ML v. 10.8.2 ... did you check your mobo's rev #?

my HD3000 hardware's ID is 0x0122 . I guess it depends on the fact that I have the 2700k model.
And that makes all the difference in the world.

Would still like to hear from some folks whose i5-2500K worked out of the box, though. Any takers to post their device id?

Rev is 1.3 BTW.

And that makes all the difference in the world.

Would still like to hear from some folks whose i5-2500K worked out of the box, though. Any takers to post their device id?

Rev is 1.3 BTW.

One of the new patchs included in MB 5.2:

The long version:

A patcher to allow the use of the graphics controller in Sandy Bridge CPUs on 7 Series (Panther Point AKA Z77, H77, etc.) motherboards and the graphics controller in Ivy Bridge CPUs on 6 Series (Cougar Point AKA Z68, P68, etc.) motherboards.

Go for it! :)

Z68X-UD3H-B3 REV 1.3
I7 2600K
HD3000
128 M4

lion 10.7.2

I FIX VGA CONNECTION ON HD3000 BUT ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE FULL acceleration on vga with uefi MUST NEED dsdt (impossible to set it on uefi bios):beachball:

THE DVI-D ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX VIA ADAPTER ITS DIGITAL OUTPUT! :(

CONCLUSION
BUY NEW LCD HDMI OR DVI-D
BUY NEW GRAPHICS CARD USABLE VIA DVI-I TO VGA CONNECTION.
GET BACK TO EFI BIOS AND INSTALL CORRECT DSDT.

ANY SUGGESTION TO WICH GRAPHICS MEDIUM RANGE BETTER TO BUY? ATI OR NVIDIA? THX

Well folks...

One week of battling the i5-2500K HD3000 problem is enough. I'm just going to put my 8600GT card back in and run with a discrete video card. Time to move on to USB3 eject problems. ;-(

Thanks for everyone's help. If anyone comes up with new ideas, feel free to post. I still have a test partition available for playing.

I'm seeing random ejects on my two USB3.0 Seagate drives regularly.

I think, but am not sure that I may also have a random eject on a USB2.0 flash drive, but can't be sure since I don't remember if I rebooted or something else happened since I ejected it and I noticed that it was back on my desktop.

BTW - If I put the machine to sleep and wake it up, both USB3.0 drives come back after a moment. Doesn't remember the eject state.

The flash drive, however, did not remount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back