CPU
i7-12700KF
Graphics
RX 6600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Trying to install from multibeast in SL 10.6.8, but it gives me a lot of troubles, like I had to reinstall from scratch.
Any advice?

I believe that is a problem with the board. I have the ud5 as well and can't add that kext without major issues. Luckily I had a disk image of the OS working prior to trying it as I had read of others having major issues. Highly recommend using SuperDuper and creating disk image of your stable install prior to testing usb3.

The ud5 board has a VLI hub which I later learned is an issue. I think TonyMac should change his build #4 guide to inform people of that danger. Although maybe I am wrong about the ud5 not working with usb3. Have not seen anyone get it working yet. If you get an answer please PM me.

I'm on the same boat as well.
That driver from multibeast will not work on mobos with VLI hubs. It needs to be modified or something.
It is all well explained here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19465

I have done the firmware update to that current version (0.88) already, to no avail.
Some people reported problems with the hubs on windows after the update, i did not have any.VIA Labs is said to be working in another update to tackle our OSX problem, lets wait for it.
At the moment nothing works for our boards

Well, this answers my question. I have a GA-Z68XP-UD5 motherboard and the USB 3.0 drivers render my keyboard and all mouse buttons useless. I got this motherboard because of the recommended one. This one is similar but has a slightly better Firewire controller as I understand it.

So is the advice just wait and hold your breath for now? Is there a simiiar motherboard that does not use the VLI hub that is known to work solidly?

As far as i have read in this forum almost every mobo with a Renesas controler and no VLI hubs should work just fine with the Lacie driver from multibeast. They usually have only 2 USB 3.0 ports in the back
To think that i went with the P67A-UD5-B3 mainly because it has 4 ports in the back just kills me.
We just need the Lacie Driver to be modified somehow to work well with the VLI hubs, I just hope it happens before i get a new mobo.

I've run upon this kind of problem many times before. I've worked with Linux for 15 or so years and this happens all the time in that world. I've learned to be patient. But, so far, this motherboard is very, very nice. If including the VLI hub is the wave of the future, they'll get there with the drivers. In the mean time, I'm just glad everything else works. I do more eSATA disk work than I do USB 3.0. So for now, I have the answer and know what to watch for.

Thanks to everyone for posting what they know. It helps the entire community.

tofuconfetti said:
I've run upon this kind of problem many times before. I've worked with Linux for 15 or so years and this happens all the time in that world. I've learned to be patient. But, so far, this motherboard is very, very nice. If including the VLI hub is the wave of the future, they'll get there with the drivers. In the mean time, I'm just glad everything else works. I do more eSATA disk work than I do USB 3.0. So for now, I have the answer and know what to watch for.

Thanks to everyone for posting what they know. It helps the entire community.

I hear you. That's why it annoys the crap out of me, because everything else just works on my hack, so i spend most of my time on my Kubuntu environment where truly everything works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back