Contribute
Register

Is your processor chirping? i7 6700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to check. What happens when you run a CPU Benchmarking App in Mac? Does the whining stop? i.e Prime95 is a good tool for testing.

If I select Torture Test and as soon as I click blend and it starts - silence.

I don't really want to run that in the background 24/7.

Any more suggestions? Is it really a bad motherboard that only misbehaves in OSX and only when not at full CPU usage.

As I even type this it chirps. If I reopen Prime95 and do the torture test it does indeed stop immediately...

More info - just did an iPhone backup, that quiets it too.

If I select Torture Test and as soon as I click blend and it starts - silence.

I don't really want to run that in the background 24/7.

Any more suggestions? Is it really a bad motherboard that only misbehaves in OSX and only when not at full CPU usage.

As I even type this it chirps. If I reopen Prime95 and do the torture test it does indeed stop immediately...

No need to run it 24/7 just wanted to know if Coil Whining stopped when CPU is under full load. Personally i think it could be the board. Im out of ideas.

Attachment post #48 - you can drop all OEM with those in place
Ok I missed that....

I will try later tonight and see what these do.

Thanks!

Ok, I copied everything in that folder into ACPI patched in EFI...

Boots up ok, but still chirps, and is chirping now as I type. I selected drop all OEM in clover...

So...what does this tell us?

Ok, I copied everything in that folder into ACPI patched in EFI...

Boots up ok, but still chirps, and is chirping now as I type. I selected drop all OEM in clover...

So...what does this tell us?
Not much unfortunately. You might try again with these attached. Remove SSDT-5 and SSDT-8. Keep the ssdtPRGen generated SSDT.aml - replace the others. Drop OEM SSDTs. If there's no change you might post in one of the laptop or DSDT forums...

Attachments

• dsl.zip
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
  • patched.zip
    43.6 KB · Views: 53
Not much unfortunately. You might try again with these attached. Remove SSDT-5 and SSDT-8. Keep the ssdtPRGen generated SSDT.aml - replace the others. Drop OEM SSDTs. If there's no change you might post in one of the laptop or DSDT forums...

That made no change either, still chirps. Ok I'll try in the DSDT forum.
I am going to post after I do another fresh clean install from Unibeast and I am going to log every step I've taken and every setting I've set just in case I've done something wrong or missed something important.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back