Contribute
Register

Is there a decent Ivy Bridge Mini ITX motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacAppreciator said:
There is a post elsewhere on this board with an attached ZIP file that contains an Ivy Bridge-working mach_kernel and two or three separate kexts (AHCI and CPUPowerMgmt). I dragged those onto my USB stick, booted from my USB Stick, went into Terminal and cp -R those files onto my new 10.7.3 install. After that, I restarted and everything was cool; I could get to my H77 Ivy Bridge Desktop and run MultiBeast, enable the audio and network and reboot subsequently into my Ivy Bridge system. But as soon as I applied the 10.7.4 update, even though I also applied Bridge Helper 5, I get the kernel panic of death on restart. Shows an exception for AppleCPUPowerManagement.

That's where I'm stuck. I've rebooted from the stick, chosen my Ivy Bridge install, and reapplied the MultiBeast 4.5.2 Patched CPUPowerManagement kext for 10.7.4 but it hasn't made any difference. Have also tried to copy over the same files from the stick that I did before when I got 10.7.3 to run, but that hasn't worked either. I'm in Kernel Panic Hell.
Asus boards have the disadvantage that the BIOS locks MSR 0x2e so that AICPM will cause a kernel panic when it tries to write to the register during initialization. Therefore you will have to patch AICPM so that it doesn't write to MSR 0x2e anymore.

Mieze

MacMan said:
I did a DSDT free UserDSDT install and added a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment next that I created on another machine. I'm also using HDAEnabler, Patched AppleHDA for 892 and 3rdPartyAHCI.

I'm using a 6 GB/s SSD and it boots in around 15 seconds the last time I checked.

Hmm....may try those options. I guess the reason I think it should boot fast is because: if after I get my 10.7.4 install done, and install only FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement, and boot using my UniBeast...once I get to the Chimera screen & select my new Lion install, I get to the desktop in about 5-6 seconds. So once it's fine-tuned, it's GOTTA be able to boot faster than 30 seconds... :banghead:

Hi folks,

New here to the boards and to hackintoshing. Getting ready to install Snow Leopard on my Toshiba Portege R835-P70.

Also been looking to build with mini-ITX boards. Old rig doesn't seem like it can handle Lion/ML so I'm looking into an HTPC case with mini-ITX board. Any other recommendations for video cards that would go with the previously mentioned mini-ITX boards?

Thanks.

Eunicom said:
Hi folks,

New here to the boards and to hackintoshing. Getting ready to install Snow Leopard on my Toshiba Portege R835-P70.

Also been looking to build with mini-ITX boards. Old rig doesn't seem like it can handle Lion/ML so I'm looking into an HTPC case with mini-ITX board. Any other recommendations for video cards that would go with the previously mentioned mini-ITX boards?

Thanks.

I'm using this in my HTPC build:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Radeon-Silence-Profile-PCI-Express/dp/B004X8EO6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340076507&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+ATI+Radeon+HD6450

The reason for this choice - no fan, keeping the noise level to a minimum. I didn't have to do anything special to get this video card working. It worked flawlessly right out of the box!

Here's a link to my HTPC build - with this case, I actually used an mATX case (not mini-ITX):
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=59922

Zotac Z77-ITX works.

Mieze said:
Asus boards have the disadvantage that the BIOS locks MSR 0x2e so that AICPM will cause a kernel panic when it tries to write to the register during initialization. Therefore you will have to patch AICPM so that it doesn't write to MSR 0x2e anymore.

Mieze

My issue isn't with the Asus board (which I'd probably never buy again) since it's using a Sandy Bridge CPU. This issue is with the ASRock board (also the Intel board) that house Ivy Bridge chips. Thanks anyway though.

Would it be possible to use a Gigabyte H61 board with an Ivy Bridge CPU?

macless said:
Would it be possible to use a Gigabyte H61 board with an Ivy Bridge CPU?

Interesting question. If you're talking about This 1155 Socket ITX Motherboard, the answer is unclear.

According to the specs, it DOES support Intel 22nm processors, but the specs also only indicate support for HD2000 and HD3000 graphics. On the other hand, if you're using a discrete graphics card, that would be a moot point. Double moot point also for the time being, since there is no kernel support anywhere for Ivy Bridge's HD4000.

So the answer appears to be "yes," though I would double-check with Gigabyte Tech Support to get their opinion. I've generally found their tech support to be reponsive; basically next-day emails.

Cheers.

Will I be able to use the new Gigabyte Mini ITX Ivy Bridge Boards along with the core i5 - 3475S, which runs on 65W and has the HD4000 on the Antec ISK 100 Case? It only comes with 90W of power, but it's perfectly ideal. I only want to put an SSD in there and drive my 30 inch monitor solely off the HD4000.

This will be my dream/compact hackintosh :D

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=2506&fid=294

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back