Contribute
Register

Is there a decent Ivy Bridge Mini ITX motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 90W PSU would be pushing it, but remember that the 65W figure is NOT power usage, but rather thermal dissipation, i.e. heat related. It really comes down to how much power the specific motherboard draws beyond what the CPU, memory and SSD would use, of which the latter two should be no more than 10W combined, most likely a lot less. I'd have a look see how much power the specific SSD you're planning on using will draw, but most modern SSD's draw less than 5W in use. You'd be close to the limit of the PSU, but I'd say it's doable as long you're planing on maxing out the CPU and graphics.

As for the fan, you have to use it, it's not optional if you look in the pictures in the silentpcreview article. The CPU socket isn't likely to have moved much, but again this will a board specific thing and you'd have to have a look see how well the boards would fit with the chassis.

I'm personally using this one right now:

ASRock H77M-ITX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157311
Realtek ALC892 Audio
Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet
DVI-D, D-Sub, HDMI

It's a killer little board, and I'm able to use it without a DSDT...well, sort of. I can for sure get up & running using nothing but EasyBeast, Lnx2Mac's NIC drivers, and the "all-in-one" ALC8xx (with audio rollback + non-DSDT enabler), FakeSMC, and NullCPUPowerManagement. BUT, it seems to boot really slowly (like it takes 30 seconds at the gray Apple logo/progress indicator) when it should only take 5-7. I'm using an SSD, so that's why I was expecting a much faster boot time.

Here's a link to my G4 Cube build where I'm using the H77M-ITX:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=64284

Here's a link to my post for those of you reading this who are DSDT or system fine-tuning gurus who might be willing & able to lend a hand:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63731

Once I get the build done & back in the case, I'll try & tackle the fine-tuning & see about that boot issue (seems to hang on "SNB framebuffer did not show up" and "ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative properly...").

BUT...like I said, the good news is that it DOES boot without a DSDT!! :headbang: I have Internet/network; I have what appears to be full HD3000 graphics; I have audio (well, 2-channel via the backplane because that's what's in my office; will check HDMI later).

Hi! Great build!I have a quick question, have you tried installing Mountain Lion on your H77M-ITX and have HD 3000 working? Thanks!

I have the exact same build as BoomR. I tried numerous ways to get ML working without success. Using clean install to ML worked fine, but after loading DSDT and Multibeast, still no HD 3000. Everything else works perfectly. I tried the patched HD 3000 kext from Dreamwatcher, that didn't work either. So I went back to a clean install of Lion using BoomR's instructions and everything works perfectly. Then the tinkerer in me decided to run an upgrade to ML booting from the Unibeast ML drive. After install, it won't boot. Fast KP. It gets stuck on NullIntelCPU or something. I got fed up and gave up. Tried GraphicsEnabler=No, Yes, -x, without luck.

Also booted with a diff. drive to Multibeast the ML drive with same settings as before, no luck.

p8h77-i 10.8

Im using a asus p8h77-i and its working out pretty easily. It uses easybeast, chimera for the typical hd4000 chameleon.plist,Lnx2macs network,and voodooHDA 2.7.3 for the VIA vt1708s audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back