Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,
This is my first Hackintosh build and i'm about to buy this but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything important! I'll be running OSX Mavericks.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I'm thinking i'll install a GPU and upgrade RAM when I have more money.
Thanks!

Hi guys,
This is my first Hackintosh build and i'm about to buy this but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything important! I'll be running OSX Mavericks.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

I'm thinking i'll install a GPU and upgrade RAM when I have more money.
Thanks!

It looks like you pretty much picked your components from the Buyer's Guide, so yes, it should all work. However, if you're planning to add a GPU later, you don't want the TP-Link PCIe Wifi card; it will take up the only PCIe slot you have on your MiniITX motherboard. Instead, get a compatible Mini-PCIe Wifi card to replace the Intel Centrino card (doesn't work with OS X) that comes with the motherboard. Here's a thread that lists several options: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html. Also keep in mind that the MiniITX motherboards generally only have two RAM slots, so if you want to upgrade later, you should probably buy a single 8GB stick now (and add another one later for the maximum of 16GB), rather than buy a pair of 4GB sticks that you'll just have to discard to upgrade later.

I couldn't find a definitive answer on which card to use, but how hard is it to swap out the centrino card for a new card? Could I use a usb wifi dongle instead?
Thanks again!

I couldn't find a definitive answer on which card to use, but how hard is it to swap out the centrino card for a new card? Could I use a usb wifi dongle instead?
Thanks again!

Is very easy to swap out the WiFi card - remove 1 screw, pop the connectors for the antenna leads from the card (they are like the snap fittings on some shirts instead of buttons) and remove the card from the slot. Insert new card, screw in the retainer screw, pop the antenna leads on and you are done.

And yes, you could use a dongle instead, but why take up a USB port if not needed? Half height PCIe caed cost almost same as a dongle. Can get the AR9280 at Amazon.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back