Contribute
Register

Is it smarter to build a kickass 4th Gen chip machine or a decent 5th Gen chip machine for Video Edi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info solidww, Id love to get the cpu next higher up than 5820k but as I said earlier I do have a budget of $1600 or less to stick to and as for 2 graphic cards, Maybe I will get a good 2gb card then add another later.
I do think the GTX760 is the way to go and have heard that EVGA are the best cards. My ? is it better to spend about $60 more and get a 4gb version or is the 2 GB version good enough for starters. As for PPRO for an editing, it just an all around better platform than FCPX and if any of your clients have Adobe CS then you can open the files with them as well on a Mac or PC, which you cant do with FCPX.

Everyone has the editing suite that they know best which is what they will stick too. FCP7 is still in use because of this.

Yes, get the 4GB model and add a second card as your able to do so. If you can't get the better CPU now then get the 5820k. It will do fine until you fill up your PCI lanes on the motherboard. If you never do fill up those PCI lanes then another CPU will never be needed. :)

Happy editing.

Regarding the multiple gpu question: for Premiere it is really not as important as having dedicated RAID and lots of RAM.

For your info:

During real-time playback, only one GPU is used; Adobe has found that in this time-critical application, the overhead required to swap data between multiple GPUs more than cancelled out any speed gains

source:
http://provideocoalition.com/f/story/adobe-premiere-pro-and-multiple-gpus

Just my 2cents.

If your budget allows two 2GB GPUs that would help with playback. Are you for sure going to stick with PPro?

I thought that OSX does not support SLI/Cross Fire? He would only be using one of those cards.

For your info:

During real-time playback, only one GPU is used; Adobe has found that in this time-critical application, the overhead required to swap data between multiple GPUs more than cancelled out any speed gains

source:

Just my 2cents.

Interesting article. That article also mentions that Dual GPUs ARE used for other purposes others than real-time playback, like rendering and exporting. I guess something is better than nothing!

The OS, however, still does not support dual gpus.

Regarding the multiple gpu question: for Premiere it is really not as important as having dedicated RAID and lots of RAM.

For your info:

source:

Just my 2cents.

That was a great read. Thank you for sharing. Glad Adobe is really making headway with their software and how they make it work with whatever hardware is out there. Glad they are listening. Hopefully, Apple really starts to listen as well. :)

Okay, then you all should stick to nVidia GPUs. That way you can get CUDA support in After Effects. The entire CC suite but one program will utilize AMD cards. I would say get two GTX760s with 4GB of RAM. That will get you ready for DaVinci Resolve and you shouldn't have any issues with PPro. <br>
<br>
I know what you mean. A lot of places have gone to PPro but FCPX is getting traction now a days. <br>
<br>
Oh, and lastly. Get the CPU above the 5820. That chip only has 28 PCI lanes. One of the reasons to go X99 or any other Intel high end is the extra PCI lanes. The last thing you want is to be bottle necked because your RAID card, R3D Rocket, or GPUs are not able to fully utilize an 8 or 16 PCI lane slot. <br>
<br>
Just my .02.
idk. I feel that the 5930k is the worst haswell-e CPU to get. It costs 67% more than the 5820k but offers no performance benefits since both can be overlocked to the same frequency.

Correct me if I am wrong but at 28 lanes it's got 16 lanes for the GPU with 12 lanes left for SATA Hard Drives. Does anyone actually plan to use more than 10 drives for storage?

So IMO it's really 5820k v 5960X

OP if you can afford the 5820k I would get it. The issue with video editing is you want 32 or 64 GB of ram and the DDR4 premium is really felt at point. If you can expand your budget to like 2000, I would highly recommend getting a X99 rig instead of a Z97 setup.

idk. I feel that the 5930k is the worst haswell-e CPU to get. It costs 67% more than the 5820k but offers no performance benefits since both can be overlocked to the same frequency.

Correct me if I am wrong but at 28 lanes it's got 16 lanes for the GPU with 12 lanes left for SATA Hard Drives. Does anyone actually plan to use more than 10 drives for storage?

OP if you can afford the 5820k I would get it. The issue with video editing is you want 32 or 64 GB of ram and the DDR4 premium is really felt at point. If you can expand your budget to like 2000, I would highly recommend getting a X99 rig instead of a Z97 setup.

I agree with you on several points. Here is a great video about RAM usage in CC 2014. I was shocked to say the least. http://youtu.be/ajyzZ-zaq0o

Anyway, whatever the OP picks will serve just fine. X79 or X99 is still a very expandable platform. :)

Only if you plan to use just 1 GPU. 2 GPUs @ 16 lanes per = 32 lanes. You need the 5930K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back