Contribute
Register

Is it possible to disable secondary GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i6500
Graphics
gtx 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
I'm thinking about to replace GTX 1060 with RTX 2080.
GTX 1060 works fine for me.
As I know, it's not possible to use RTX at the hackintosh. I want to keep GTX until drivers for RTX are released.

So, is it possible to use GTX1060 as primary GPU for hackintosh and RTX as primary for Windows?
Also, will OpenCL / CUDA work at the RTX card on hackintosh?

P.S. I don't think that it will be long to release new drivers, because Apple supports eGPU now and drivers for 10.14 are still unreleased, so there's a chance Nvidia will include support of RTX in future driver release.

Apple already deprecated OpenGL, OpenCL in Mojave, Apple only support its own Metal

Apple only support AMD graphics card in their product, don't invest on Nvidia at this moment, no support, no drivers, no hardware acceleration

don't invest
I didn't know that nVidia have to implement Metal support as well.

I think I'll wait untill nVidia next move. I don't like AMD and I don't use GPU only on hackintosh.

High Sierra is fully satisfies me for now.

But, question was is it possible to disable some card (RTX) in macOS?

I don't think that it will be long to release new drivers, because Apple supports eGPU now and drivers for 10.14 are still unreleased, so there's a chance Nvidia will include support of RTX in future driver release.

@blits,

You need to be realistic, it's very likely that we will not see new Nvidia macOs drivers with Metal 2 support until next year.

Nvidia are notoriously slow at updating their drivers for MacOS, when they released the Polaris based 10 series cards it took them 10 months to add support to the existing web drivers.

For Mojave Nvidia will have to write all new Web Drivers from the ground up for a whole new architecture .. it's going to take them several months ... stick with High Sierra and have patience.

Cheers
Jay

@blits,

You need to be realistic, it's very likely that we will not see new Nvidia macOs drivers with Metal 2 support until next year.

Nvidia are notoriously slow at updating their drivers for MacOS, when they released the Polaris based 10 series cards it took them 10 months to add support to the existing web drivers.

For Mojave Nvidia will have to write all new Web Drivers from the ground up for a whole new architecture .. it's going to take them several months ... stick with High Sierra and have patience.

Cheers
Jay
I didn't know it requires a lot of work to make driver work for 10.14 and Metal. I'm sticking with High Sierra and it's ok for me. The question is not about 10.14.

My question is, is it possible to use GTX 1060 on High Sierra as primary GPU and ignore RTX?

My question is, is it possible to use GTX 1060 on High Sierra as primary GPU and ignore RTX?

I really don't know the answer to that .... it depends on what the current WebDrivers do ... it's possible that they just may ignore a 20 series completely or they may get confused. That would be quite a unique configuration, i doubt you get a straight answer form anyone unless they have 20XX & 10XX series card.

It is possible to run a Nvidia card and AMD card at the same time ... the slot order is important in that sort of configuration.
However unless you have a Xeon CPU you wont have the full quota of PCI lanes on the second GPU.

Sounds a risky investment at this time ... my advice is to wait, the 2080 will drop in price once Nvidia sell off their 1080 Ti stock.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back