Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Think my graphics card is playing up and was thinking of upgrading anyway. Looks like I can get a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB for around £150 used, would this be a worthwhile upgrade for a GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB.

Looks like I can get a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB for around £139 new but not sure if it is mackintosh comparable. Up for suggestions for other cards around the same price (£150), if not.

I will be using it for Premiere Pro and FCPX.

Ben

Think my graphics card is playing up and was thinking of upgrading anyway. Looks like I can get a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB for around £150 used, would this be a worthwhile upgrade for a GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB.

Looks like I can get a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB for around £139 new but not sure if it is mackintosh comparable. Up for suggestions for other cards around the same price (£150), if not.

Ben
You should be able to pick up a used 1060 for not much more than a used 970. Both would be a decent upgrade for the 660ti. The 10 series cards are compatible from 10.12.4

The GTX 970 is actually a better performer than the GTX 1050TI card. If you would favour a newer card then you may be to pick up the 1060 for a little more with some careful searching - so worth a look.

The GTX 970 works from Yosemite with additional drivers. The GTX 1050Ti and GTX 1060 both require the latest macOS Sierra 10.12.4 release with the additional drivers.

Approx comparison of the different card models:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2017-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

You should be able to pick up a used 1060 for not much more than a used 970. Both would be a decent upgrade for the 660ti. The 10 series cards are compatible from 10.12.4
Thanks a lot. I was expecting to need to upgrade to the latest MacOS, every time I do an upgrade it seems to be easier, hope this is the case with Sierra. I really don't want to have to mess around with additional drivers so that great. I tend to go for the gigabyte cards, the Gigabyte GTX1060 Windforceoc 3GB is a bit more than I wanted to spend but can live with it. It is only 3GB which is not ideal.

As far as updating drivers goes, Nvidia release a new version of the web driver for each update apple releases. So when you have a software update or a security update from apple you should have downloaded the update from Nvidia before installing.

The driver preference pane app can notify you when one becomes available. And search for 'nvidia web driver updates' to find a thread with os builds and driver versions.

Ben

GTX-970 has raw performance much more than GTX-660Ti,
but, as up to day, when you use 10.12.4 and wants energy efficient performance card, Pascal card is on the line

I got a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB so am hoping if I got to Sierra it will be fairly straight forward.

Once you have Sierra installed and running, its simply a case of installing the nVidia driver package, then changing a couple of small config details in config.plist if you havent already done so then reboot your system. The process is relatively simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back