Contribute
Register

Intermittent freezing on 10.12.6 - 7700k / Maximus IX Hero / GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, you either need to pull the card, or, look on the box... You did save that box, didn't you? ;)

Window case for the win, gonna snap a pic and zoom in. ;)

Yep, have to contact them, although they claim it's optional if you have the new bios:

iaDVPf_ERpW0mCSpd0dyLQ.png

Last edited:
I've read a bit regarding the EVGA models that did not contain the thermal pads... I highly recommend that you contact them to get the pads and install them.

I've read a bit regarding the EVGA models that did not contain the thermal pads... I highly recommend that you contact them to get the pads and install them.

I'm definitely going to contact them and request them.

I submitted a ticket to get the thermal pads.

Unfortunately, just had another unrecoverable freeze. So that's only two today total, which is way better than before. Tomorrow I'll try to run on the Intel just to 100% pinpoint it to the Nvidia.

It always happens when I'm messing with Finder. I think I was clicking the triangle to expand the contents of my EFI-backups folder exactly when it happened.

Code:
Tue Aug 29 22:24:49 2017

Event:               GPU Reset
Date/Time:           Tue Aug 29 22:24:49 2017
Application:         WindowServer
Path:             
Tailspin:            /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/gpuRestart2017-08-29-222449.tailspin
GPUSubmission Trace ID: 0
OS Version:          Mac OS X Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G29)
Graphics Hardware:   NVIDIA Chip Model
Signature:           d

Report Data:

NVDA(Graphics): Channel exception! Exception type = 0xd Graphics Engine Error (GR Exception Error)
Channel Info: [5, 0x7, 0x2, 0x31a4c0]
Version Info: [com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb, 10.1.8, 0x4e554e, 22510759, 378.05.05.25f01, 1]

Last edited:
Hmmm... I wonder if removing Finder's plist might fix that? I've read that's possible to do. @pastrychef , is that an OK procedure?

Which plist? I've not heard of this procedure before...

I don't believe it's a preference issue since freezes are happening with other apps too. Also, his console report shows it's related to the Nvidia card.

Alright. :) I don't think it could hurt to try. Though, after a clean install it did continue to happen.

The other possibility I can think of, if it happens with the Intel built-in graphics, is the drive itself, or, something to do with the drive...

Alright. :) I don't think it could hurt to try. Though, after a clean install it did continue to happen.

The other possibility I can think of, if it happens with the Intel built-in graphics, is the drive itself, or, something to do with the drive...

Today should tell us more. I'm up on the Intel only right now, and I'll do all the things I normally do. If I don't freeze all day we know its specific to the Nvidia card.

Code:
CRAIG-PC:~ craig$ kextstat | grep -v com.apple | awk '{print $6}' | sort
Name
as.lvs1974.IntelGraphicsFixup
as.lvs1974.NvidiaGraphicsFixup
as.vit9696.Lilu
com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet
com.intel.driver.EnergyDriver
com.rehabman.driver.USBInjectAll
org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors
org.hwsensors.driver.GPUSensors
org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors