Contribute
Register

Intel NUC DC3217IYE & OS X 10.8.2 SUCCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really fancy getting one of these as a project, you guys had chance to play around with it as a little Hackintosh media box yet?

Might have a go with one if it can handle some high def video :)

Mog x

Oh it can handle HD video. Now that ive got it perfectly running, It can even handle a game of angry birds no problem lol The only thing is that it gets a little hot. The most ive seen it at is 132F degrees. Or at least in my case

Do you think this is due to OS X and poor GPU support or just the intel box running hot?

Oh it can handle HD video. Now that ive got it perfectly running, It can even handle a game of angry birds no problem lol The only thing is that it gets a little hot. The most ive seen it at is 132F degrees. Or at least in my case
If that is the CPU temp, 132F/56C is well below TJMax. Case temp is likely much lower.

I have been eagerly following this thread but having looked at the benchmarks of the Intel i3 3225 against the i3 3217U, my enthusiasm has, unreasonably, dipped. Comparing a desktop CPU against a CPU designed for low powered ultrabooks is, I appreciate, daft and the i3 3217U with HD4000 is more than adequate for surfing and home cinema, but the benchmarks perhaps make shelling out the extra for an i5 Mac Mini, or going the i3 3225/Gigabyte Z77n-ITX or Asrock Z77e-ITX route, seem more appealing for a productivity environment in a still small form factor. I remain very interested in following this and seeing where Intel take the price and spec.

I built a system with a i3 3240 etc but its always been running mainly idle as I use it for basics sold my cpu to get a 3225 but now this thread has made me split my two month old system put it all ebay and I want one of these! Perfect for me im too old for games anyway! I am bit worried though does this run os x at reasonable speeds?

Everything works absolutely flawless for me. I understand your concern Detosx, but i'm not so sure thats the actual point of the device. I bought mine because i wanted a fun little project to work on for a few days. Its fun to hack this kind of stuff to me, but now i find myself using it all the time! Its a small, great device that i can use for almost anything. I can record on Logic through it, play N64 games no problem (maybe even PS2 and Wii), watch all my movies through it, stream music... etc. Everything just works for me :) macwannabe, i hope that answers your question. The only thing that doesnt truly work is sleep for me. It works if i put it to sleep and then wake it up ten minutes later, but if i leave it sleep over night, i cant get the screen to come back on. So over all, still some fixing to do, but in terms of performance, i couldnt be happier. It's not meant to be a full computing device, but it can if you make it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back