Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Use latest VoodooHDA.kext instead of AppleALC.kext.

I replaced the references to AppleALC with VoodooHDA in config.plist and added VoodooHDA.kext to the kexts directory and removed AppleALC.kext from same.

MY SOUND WORKS without a USB Dongle! Thanks Dennis!

I do have Windows and MacOSX on the system. Windows is on the M.2 and MacOSX is on the SATA.
I didn't run in to any issues with windows as far as drivers or such

I'm not sure why you are running BootCamp Drivers. BootCamp drivers are for Mac specific hardware and the NUC doesn't really have anything that is out of the box compatible with a real Macintosh. When you install Windows you'll just want to do that like you would any box. I would remove whatever drive you want to install OS X on and then install Windows as normal. When you are done, put your Mac OSx drive back in and configure OpenCore to boot that uEFI option.

Understood, thank you!

Use latest VoodooHDA.kext instead of AppleALC.kext.

I replaced the references to AppleALC with VoodooHDA in config.plist and added VoodooHDA.kext to the kexts directory and removed AppleALC.kext from same.

Voodoo HDA is buggy and it does not work correctly if a HDMI KVM switch is employed. It would be better to get AppleALC working correctly.

I'll be watching for your solution.

Did some research yesterday for exact graphics device in NUC10 because there were doubts we use a device-id that doesn't seem to be native. Here is the extract from this page:
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.32.56 AM.png

The reason for research is that since we change device-id option in DeviceProperties the same happens to Device column on PCIe and System tab in Hackingtool, and I had thought I don't really know native device id - I just know the option that works but not the native one.
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 09.35.29 AM.png

Having 0x9BCA I got the next combination also to work:
device-id = 0000CA9B
AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0400A53E or AAPL,ig-platform-id = 0900A53E

This post is just for information. I think when Catalina starts supporting i7-10710U natively it's a reason to try the native device-id also. At the moment despite native device-id and probably also native framebuffer work the CPU fan keeps running at full speed and sleep not working at all (sleeps and immediately awakes) so it's seems power management doesn't work properly - need to be investigated further.

Did some research yesterday for exact graphics device in NUC10 because there were doubts we use a device-id that doesn't seem to be native. Here is the extract from this page:
View attachment 477597
The reason for research is that since we change device-id option in DeviceProperties the same happens to Device column on PCIe and System tab in Hackingtool, and I had thought I don't really know native device id - I just know the option that works but not the native one.
View attachment 477599

device-id = 0000CA9B

This post is just for information. I think when Catalina starts supporting i7-10710U natively it's a reason to try the native device-id also. At the moment despite native device-id and probably also native framebuffer work the CPU fan keeps running at full speed and sleep not working at all (sleeps and immediately awakes) so it's seems power management doesn't work properly - need to be investigated further.
You still have trouble with sleep? Do you have USBInjectAll.kext in your EFI?

View attachment 477597
View attachment 477599

device-id = 0000CA9B

I've tried all Comet Lake framebuffers listed there and they worked all... though none with DP/HDMI working audio

You still have trouble with sleep? Do you have USBInjectAll.kext in your EFI?
I don't have - I posted above that I solved this by injecting acpi-wake-type but it doesn't work for 0x9BCA for so far unknown for me reason.
The reason of post #214 is just informational - I wasn't solving by that any sleep/wake issues.
I've just wanted to say by post #214 that we in this thread are using spoof device-id indeed.

UPDATE: I don't use USBInjectAll.kext because I don't see the reason to have it - we have less than 15 ports and all of them are visible to OS both with or without this kext. Or I lack of some knowledge?

Last edited:
I've tried all Comet Lake framebuffers listed there and they worked all... though none with DP/HDMI working audio
That's nice to get a working machine by trying options.
But in general, my approach is to be sure that everything is in its place.
Which framebuffer of the listed (tried) is native to 0x9BCA? Personally I don't know, do you?

That's nice to get a working machine by trying options.
But in general, my approach is to be sure that everything is in its place.
Which framebuffer of the listed (tried) is native to 0x9BCA? Personally I don't know, do you?
That's anybody's guess, right? as long it's not officially supported, we've to dig in a litte deeper

Back