Contribute
Register

Intel i7 3770k + Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H install and testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
wfj said:
... If you want to monitor real time temps, voltages, and cpu frequency, go here:

https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors

Go to downloads and choose download as zip. There is an installer package in the zip file. Backup your install before using it as I haven't tried it with a gigabyte z77 board.

PLEASE NOTE!

DO NOT install the NVClockX.kext file. If you are using a GA-Z77X-UD5H system, you will crash on startup with an OHCI error with the Firmware drivers related to this kernel extension. Extensions are in the "Binaries" directory in the archive.

You can install all of the other extensions, but bypass this one. I use iStat Menus to get the stats on the CPU/GPU/PS sensors, it works great. :headbang:

Xthlon said:
...Thankyou for the information, now i just need a 8gb usb drive and my mates macbook to get started, actually one quick question, his mac has lion already on it (from factory,not upgraded from SL) so would he have the lion OS app somewhere (not sure if this would count as piracy but i guess hackint0sh's kinda are anyway) or is a purchase still needed to get the lion.app from the mac store?

cheers in advance

-Scott
What you proposed is piracy and is not allowed on this site. What you need to do is:
  • - Use your friends Mac where he's created a temporary account for you;

- You log into your account on his MBP, visit the MAS and create an account;

- Purchase and download the Lion Installation app - it's a 4GB file, so it will take a while to d/l;

- Copy the Install Lion app to a USB thumb drive or copy it to a DVD (do not do anything else but copy it to the DVD) and burn the DVD to back it up (save it);

- Now, using a different USB thumb drive, create the Unibeast USB thumb drive per the tonymacx86 UniBeast Installation Instructions using the Install Lion app which you downloaded and is still on your friend's MBP in the /Applications folder (do only through Step 2 - don't do anymore on your friends MBP); and

- prepare your PC BIOS, etc., and perform UniBeast Step 3 on.

I strongly recommend you print out the tonymacx86 UniBeast Installation Guide and check off each step as it's easy to miss a step - the forum is full of these HALPs posts.

As Rules #4/5 state, we only use the purchased, retail OS X which you have purchased, not you bud or your Father or your girl friend.

Stork said:
...What you need to do is:
  • - Use your friends Mac where he's created a temporary account for you;

- You log into your account on his MBP, visit the MAS and create an account;

- Purchase and download the Lion Installation app - it's a 4GB file, so it will take a while to d/l;

- Copy the Install Lion app to a USB thumb drive or copy it to a DVD (do not do anything else but copy it to the DVD) and burn the DVD to back it up (save it);

- Now, using a different USB thumb drive, create the Unibeast USB thumb drive per the tonymacx86 UniBeast Installation Instructions using the Install Lion app which you downloaded and is still on your friend's MBP in the /Applications folder (do only through Step 2 - don't do anymore on your friends MBP); and

- prepare your PC BIOS, etc., and perform UniBeast Step 3 on.

Great input Stork. But, isnt this a bit tricky just at the moment as only the 10.7.4 is available at the App store and only 10.7.3 is supported by Bridgehelper..?

Why, yes, it is. :eek: That's what you get to be on bleeding cutting edge. Duh! :rolleyes: Since you're coming to the game after 10.7.4 has been released, you're stuck with the techniques available now or you can wait until Apple releases OS X updates for new products, which we're expecting in June.

See tonymacx86 10.7.4 blog post with a link to MacMan's thread for solutions.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/mac-os-x-1074-update.html

Also note from tonymacx86's earlier blog post:

tonymacx86 said:
PLEASE NOTE: Ivy Bridge CPUs and chipsets are not currently supported natively by Mac OS X. We can't recommend Ivy Bridge systems yet, as there is no official support. Hence, please don't view this as buying advice. We don't recommend using a patched kernel for the long-term. The vanilla kernel is a much more desirable solution for a stable system.

You now have the best advice anybody can give. I'm waiting until Fall to give the Z77 mobos, their BIOS and the tonymacx86 software & procedures to mature.

Yeah i thought as much, anyway guys cheers for all the helpful advice and sorry for kinda hi jacking this thread. i should be able to quite easily get this hackint0sh up and running once i find my 8gb stick, Im going to purchase the lion.app when i next go to his...

dannywm said:
I am in the exact same place as ketelschei. sounds like we have exactly the same setup as well. almost to a T. redownloaded lion last night - its 10.7.4, i guess - how can i verify that? (- getting the traffic sign at install. i am assuming this must be my problem right? any timeline on bridgehelper working for it?

thanks - this forum is great.

Well...I think I`ll go down to a Apple store tomorrow. They might have some old stuff laying around ;)

I have the same motherboard and cpu but i don't even reach the Installation.

I have createt the usb stick with unibeast and installed the Bridge helper to the usb.
I also checked the Bios SATA Settings and its on ACHI

When i try to boot from USB in Verbose Mode i can see it stops at messages about not finding a IOUSBFamily and a IOUSBMassstorage class ...

I tried diffrent USB Ports on the back and on the Frontpanel but that doesen't change anything. I made a Bios Update to F5 because the DSDT file here is for that version but even this does not help.

Then i tried to desconnect the windows hdd but still no success.

Also removed 3 of my 4 8GB Ram modules and still same error

It's my first Hackintosh and right now i'm not sure what to try next.
Any suggestions about what i should try?

Thanks

System:
( The 2 TB has a windows partition and the ssd has no partition )

1 x Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Z77 (dual PC3-12800U DDR3)
1 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (HDS723020BLA642)
1 x GeIL EVO Corsa DIMM Kit 32GB PC3-19200U CL11 (DDR3-2400)
1 x Intel Core i7-3770K, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed (BX80637I73770K)
1 x OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G)
1 x Corsair Professional Series HX650 650W ATX 2.2 (CMPSU-650HX)
1 x Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 DiRT3, 1GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 2x mini DisplayPort, lite retail

After getting the 10.7.3 usb from my local apple dealer, its up and running. I used the fabulous guide!

I have not worked around audio yet though, will this evening.

I have the strangest thing going on with playing youtube videos or .mp4 files on Quicktime. I get an -101 error from Quicktime. Youtube video played the very first time I tried, then it stopped working.

Do you have any workarounds regarding this video problem, wich is very important as I am doing lots of composing to film and TV :cool:

aembe said:
I have the same motherboard and cpu but i don't even reach the Installation.

I have createt the usb stick with unibeast and installed the Bridge helper to the usb.
I also checked the Bios SATA Settings and its on ACHI

When i try to boot from USB in Verbose Mode i can see it stops at messages about not finding a IOUSBFamily and a IOUSBMassstorage class ...

I tried diffrent USB Ports on the back and on the Frontpanel but that doesen't change anything. I made a Bios Update to F5 because the DSDT file here is for that version but even this does not help.

Then i tried to desconnect the windows hdd but still no success.

Also removed 3 of my 4 8GB Ram modules and still same error

It's my first Hackintosh and right now i'm not sure what to try next.
Any suggestions about what i should try?

Thanks

System:
( The 2 TB has a windows partition and the ssd has no partition )

1 x Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Z77 (dual PC3-12800U DDR3)
1 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (HDS723020BLA642)
1 x GeIL EVO Corsa DIMM Kit 32GB PC3-19200U CL11 (DDR3-2400)
1 x Intel Core i7-3770K, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed (BX80637I73770K)
1 x OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G)
1 x Corsair Professional Series HX650 650W ATX 2.2 (CMPSU-650HX)
1 x Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 DiRT3, 1GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 2x mini DisplayPort, lite retail

hmmmm.. Try disconnecting all hard drive and only connect the hard drive your installing to. Connect to the 6/GBs ports. They are the top 2 SATA connections. Make sure your Lion installation USB is 10.7.0 - 10.7.3. People are having problems downloading the app from the app store because its 10.7.4. Go in and set optimized defaults in BIOS and turn on ACHI. Make your Unibeast USB and make sure your pointing Bridgehelper to the USB and not the hard drive of the PC. It sounds like the modified kernal did not transfer to USB and therefor you can't boot from it. Plug Unibeast USB into the RED USB 2.0 ports on MOBO. DONT USE THE BLUE USB 3.0 Ports. They are not supported until you load the appropriate kexts after install. If you have any problems let me know.

The SSD is not detected during the Lion install...
Any idea why? :problem:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back