Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64LC
Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to get the Ethernet working and found two solutions and wonder now, which is better and why ?
1. Install SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext in /L/E
2. Solution from this post:

Ethernet Port 2 (Intel I211 PRO/1000) is finally working! This means both of the Gigabit ports on the motherboard are now operational.

The code segment I posted above is actually from a modified version of the Smalltree 82576 kext posted here by @the-darkvoid. Perhaps they took the standard 82576-1.2.5 kext and added the "0x15398086" device/vendor ID because this version is not available from the Smalltree website.

Getting the port to work required a couple of extra steps based on this post by @slawa:
  • Copy Rehabman's FakePCIID.kext to CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  • Because the Smalltree driver looks for its own "subsystem vendor" ID (0x000A), we have to replace Intel's subsystem vendor ID with Smalltree's ID. This bit of fakery is performed by the modified FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext which must also be copied to CLOVER/kexts/Other. Because the Device ID (0x1539) is already supported by the Smalltree kext, I did not have to add a RM,device entry to this kext. Only the RM,subsystem-id had to be changed to 0x000A. Additionally, I added the device ID 0x15398086 to the IOPCIPrimaryMatch field so that the spoofing takes place on this particular device. Lastly, I changed the model field to Intel I211 Gigabit Ethernet. The modified <dict> section of the kext is shown below.
Code:
<dict>
        <key>Intel GbX</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID</string>
            <key>FakeProperties</key>
            <dict>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Intel I211 Gigabit Ethernet</string>
                <key>RM,subsystem-id</key>
                <data>
                CgAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <string>FakePCIID</string>
            <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
            <string>FakePCIID</string>
            <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
            <string>0x15398086 0x15d18086 0x15638086</string>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
        </dict>
    </dict>
  • Finally, we have to copy the attached SmallTreeIntel82576.kext to the CLOVER/kexts/10.14 folder. Apparently, this is necessary to ensure correct load order. Kexts in the Other folder are loaded first, then those in OS-specific folders.
A screenshot of the System Report --> Ethernet Cards screen is attached as well.

Posted from Intel I211 Ethernet port :)

Edit: Moved all attachments to Post #1.

Hopefully somebody can explain the difference

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to get the Ethernet working and found two solutions and wonder now, which is better and why ?
1. Install SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext in /L/E
2. Solution from this post:

Hopefully somebody can explain the difference
There's no harm in trying them both. If you try option 1, remember to use something like "Kext Utility" to rebuild kernel cache after copying the kext to /L/E. Similarly, to try option 2, you must delete this kext from /L/E and run "Kext Utility" once again before starting option 2.

I haven't seen the SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext so I'm not sure if it will recognize the Intel sub-vendor ID of the i211 on your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back