Contribute
Register

Intel HD 4000 + external GPU: make the external GPU primary display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean boot without the 570? (The TV was already connected to the HD4000/HDMI when I generated those files, but the TV was turned off.)

You mean boot without the 570? (The TV was already connected to the HD4000/HDMI when I generated those files, but the TV was turned off.)
First experiment, turn the TV on and see if you get an ML display, verify with Prefs/Displays/Arrangement. If that doesn't work, second experiment; boot with the 570 and HD4000 displays on.

Didn't we try that already? I rebooted without the Chimera flag, but the HD 4000 is still missing in action and booting was slow. I suppose it's progress though, because before if I booted without the flag, both screens had no signals.

Didn't we try that already? I rebooted without the Chimera flag, but the HD 4000 is still missing in action and booting was slow. I suppose it's progress though, because before if I booted without the flag, both screens had no signals.
The slow boot is caused by a kernel cache problem, results in a verbose boot with out asking for it. That shows in bdmesg. Run KextBeat.

Without the TV on, you will not see evidence of the display in any system reporting. I wanted you to simply turn the TV on to see if Hot Plug works for you. You said the TV won't be on all the time; the first experiment was to see if your system would work as you originally requested. The second experiment is to see if it works with restart.

I cannot get Kextbeast to run so I ran Kext Utility and also this terminal command to rebuild cache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

Booting is still slow.

Any other ideas about getting the HD4000 and GTX 570 to play nicely?

I cannot get Kextbeast to run so I ran Kext Utility and also this terminal command to rebuild cache:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

Booting is still slow.

Any other ideas about getting the HD4000 and GTX 570 to play nicely?
I haven't seen anything with the TV turned on. Boot with the TV and other displays on, PCIRootUID=0. Reply with bdmesg and ioreg.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't get that. Here you go, with PCIRootUID=0 and monitor/TV connected:

Attachments

• IORegCopyPCIrootUI0.zip
    423.1 KB · Views: 107
  • bdmesg.txt 2.zip
    12.3 KB · Views: 109
In that case I will start experimenting with different system definitions and EFI strings for the HD 4000. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back