Contribute
Register

Intel DG33TL + GT240 Hackintosh Setup Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alas, my DG33 hack seems to be dying (or has died already). It would shut down randomly (as if somebody pulled the power plug).

Did a memtest loaded with 3 sticks of RAM, and failed the same way it did inside OSX - sudden shutdown, PC off. So I removed all sticks and tested them one by one... on the 3rd stick, aha! It shut down during testing. So I guess that RAM stick turned bad.

But now when I inserted the other two good sticks, computer won't even turn on. WHA????

Totally removed the RAM sticks and still the computer wouldn't even turn on.
This has my head scratching.... did the 3rd bad RAM stick fried my motherboard? So now it won't even start???

At this point, my guesses are:
a) failed mobo (or chip?) caused by a bad ram stick?
b) bad PSU

... I tested the PSU by hardwiring it and it seems to be working though I didn't test all the voltages.

I bought a new PSU and will try it and hope the problem is just the PSU.-- but I have a sinking feeling a new PSU won't fix it. - either way, the new PSU can be used for a new mobo if the problem is the motherboard.

If it comes down to buying a new mobo, I'm deciding if I should go with Gigabyte again, or be adventurous and pick an ASUS... of course, buying a new mobo means buying new CPU and RAM too.

This unexpected computer hardware expense sucks because I just bought a used 1u rack server off eBay (HP DL360 G4) to use as a VMWare ESX host machine. But this DG33 hackintosh is used by my daughter so I need to get it running asap. :banghead:

Yeah, they're all matched. (actually, this mobo's 4th RAM slot is funky that's why I can only load 3 sticks.)

Static damage:... possible but unlikely. but there is that rare chance.

You know how when you turn on the PSU power switch (at the rear), the fans will spin for less than half a second, then turn off? IT's not even doing that anymore.... that's why I suspect maybe the PSU (or mobo) failed.

Cheapest I saw on eBay currently is $50.

So if I buy another DG33, cost = $50
If I upgrade to an 1155 mobo/cpu/ram, cost = $500.
Both have pros/cons.... cost difference being a biggy!

The GA-G41M-ES2L is also a great choice for the 775 architecture!
Hey THANKS for that tip. I'll check that out.

Replaced the mobo and she's just like as new again.

On my previous DG33 mobo, I noticed my RAM sticks would get very hot and the 4th slot wasn't working. In fact, RAM was getting so hot that I bought memory coolers. I thought it was normal for particular model# of RAM I got (which has the LED blinky show).

But on this new DG33 I got, the RAM sticks are running cool, (no need for the memory coolers) and all 4 slots are working. I finally got her loaded with 8GB instead of 6GB before.

I highly recommend this motherboard! $50 on eBay (NEW).

Installed a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card on my Intel DG33 hackintosh. Happy to report it works in OSX out of the box.
http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-VIA-5U-5- ... B000JFJZGG
Cost $6.00

However, using the same card plugged into my Gigabyte Z68 mobo is no joy. The Gigabyte just refuses to bootup when this card is inserted. I don't know if Giga doesn't like the card or the other way around. Maybe it's just a Giga problem, or a Z68 problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back