Contribute
Register

Installing OS X on secondary hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am getting an SSD for my windows installation and a HDD for my extra files. I understand that installing OS X and Windows on the same hard drive is much harder than installing them on separate hard drives. I would prefer to not have to buy a 3rd hard drive. Would it be fairly easy to install OS X on a partition of my secondary HDD since it doesn't actually have the Windows OS on it? Or should I just go ahead and get a 3rd drive?

Thanks!

I am getting an SSD for my windows installation and a HDD for my extra files. I understand that installing OS X and Windows on the same hard drive is much harder than installing them on separate hard drives. I would prefer to not have to buy a 3rd hard drive. Would it be fairly easy to install OS X on a partition of my secondary HDD since it doesn't actually have the Windows OS on it? Or should I just go ahead and get a 3rd drive?

Thanks!

The HDD is just for storage?
If yes, back up any files on the HDD, then disconnect the Windows SSD, leaving the HDD only connected.
Boot your OS X installer and format the HDD GUID partition tables and partition it, part for OS X formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled, rest MSDOS FAT.
Install OS X on the Mac OS partition.
You can either leave the MSDOS FAT partition as is if you want to use it as shared storage, or use the Windows disk manager to reformat it NTFS.

Thank you! That helps my decision a lot. Yes, the secondary HDD is just for data storage and some programs.

The HDD is just for storage?
If yes, back up any files on the HDD, then disconnect the Windows SSD, leaving the HDD only connected.
Boot your OS X installer and format the HDD GUID partition tables and partition it, part for OS X formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled, rest MSDOS FAT.
Install OS X on the Mac OS partition.
You can either leave the MSDOS FAT partition as is if you want to use it as shared storage, or use the Windows disk manager to reformat it NTFS.

After I did this, I cannot boot to OS X without my boot usb. Not really sure what I did wrong. When I try to boot to OS X on the second HDD it says boot0 done An operating system wasn't found.

After I did this, I cannot boot to OS X without my boot usb. Not really sure what I did wrong. When I try to boot to OS X on the second HDD it says boot0 done An operating system wasn't found.
Recommend you get a SSD

problem is 4k boot sector - is this a WD 'Green' HDD? search is your friend here - type

Boot0 error: The official guide

into the search block and hit enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back