Contribute
Register

Installing Lion on a Dell Inspiron 1720 / 1520 [VERSION 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am trying to install Lion on my Dell Inspiron 1520 using xMove + MultiBeast without success. First I install 10.6.3 then I upgrade to 10.6.6 without any problems. After that I follow all the steps described in the xMove + MultiBeast tutorial and I successfully boot from the "Installer" partition. So far so good. My problem is that my computer freezes while installing Lion at the "19 minutes remaining" mark. The mouse begins to be laggy and then the hole computer freezes.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300
4 GB 667Mhz Kingston memory
96 GB SSD Kingston V+100 (can the SSD be the problem?)
nVidia GeForce 8600GT M

I have also tried the method described in this topic but I cannot reach the install screen. Regarding my previous Mac OS X Snow Leopard installs:
- everything between 10.6.3 - 10.6.6 works ok
- 10.6.7 (using MultiBeast): I have the graphics working only in safe mode (-x boot option). If I boot using GraphicsEnabler=yes without using safe mode then I get stuck at a blue screen right before log in. If I boot using GraphicsEnabler=no then I don't get that blue screen but I have no graphics. Trying GraphicsEnabler=no and using NVEnabler or Natit kexts yield the same results, the same blue screen. I can only get the graphics working by booting in safe mode.
- 10.6.8 (using MultiBeast): Everything works but the computer freezes having the same symptoms like when installing Lion - the mouse is laggy for a while and then the whole computer freezes.

I am starting to suspect that the ssd might be the problem. But I cannot understand why it works ok on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - 10.6.7 (except the graphics problems).

I am running out of options now (also getting frustrated). It would be great if I can get Lion on my system. If not, at least make Snow Leopard 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 properly work.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you for your time.

cocanlucian said:
I have also tried the method described in this topic but I cannot reach the install screen.

Can you try booting again from the USB stick that you made using this guide, but when you get to the Chameleon screen and select the Lion_USB partition, type "-v -x" without quotes before pressing enter. This will boot in safe mode and give you verbose output. If it still freezes, can you take a photo of the screen and post here and I will try my best to help. :)

Can you try booting again from the USB stick that you made using this guide

I have used an external drive for this tutorial instead of an USB stick. Is there a problem with this approach?

If it still freezes, can you take a photo of the screen and post here and I will try my best to help.

I will do this later today and post here all the details about the result.
Thanks for your support, ellnic!

ellnic, do you know where I can find a DSDT for my system or how to generate one? I am not sure if using your DSDT (provided in this tutorial) is the best option since we have different processors.

Thanks again.

Ahh, yes, the problem is the external drive. For some reason this does not work - it MUST be a key drive. An 8GB one is what you need.

If you want to extract your DSDT may I suggest running a Windows install and make sure all is present in Device Manager then run AIDA64 (Previously known as Everest) see here: http://www.aida64.com/. This app will extract your true DSDT.

The CPU info in my DSDT won't be causing issues if you use it. If you extract your own DSDT using the AIDA software you will still need to patch it otherwise you will get a panic.

Hi Ellnic,

I did the tutorial from scratch using a USB flash disk (16GB). On the first try to boot I got a kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, something regarding HPET(will post a picture later today). On the second try, I haven't used the bootloader from the USB drive. Instead I have used the one that I had on my SSD from my last attempt to install Lion using xMove & MultiBeast. This time it worked(not sure why) and I managed to install Lion.

Trying to boot again from the USB drive after the installation, it didn't work. Kernel panic: "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly /SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement".

I have used my old DVD with Snow Leopard to get into terminal to replace the ACPI and IOPCI kexts, like explained in the tutorial. After this, trying to boot from the SSD Lion partition crashes with the same message as the one above. Please note that I have tried booting normally or using "arch=i386 -x -v" but neither works.

My guess is that the DSDT is the one that is causing problems. I am currently using your DSDT which you provided in this tutorial.

Any help will be appreciated. I know I am pretty close to have it done. :)
Thanks again for your time.

Update:

I have managed to boot into Lion using rBoot LE rescue CD. The problem that I'm facing right now is that the hole system freezes after using it a couple of minutes. I also had this problem on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but didn't know how to fix it.

Any ideas?

It only boots using rBoot LE rescue CD. It doesn't want to boot using the bootloader on the USB disk. It gives the same message with the HPET.

Update:
I have managed to get it to boot from the SSD and to work properly after installing EasyBeast from MultiBeast 4.0.2. Everything works ok (except the sound), the system doesn't freeze anymore. I am kind of afraid to install the kext for sounds. :)

Thanks.

Anyone installed 10.7.2 yet?

Hi everyone,

I have been busy and rather quiet recently, but in the light of the 10.7.2 Update I wanted to share my findings, hoping it will help someone ...

I have a working Lion install on my Inspiron 1720, thanks to this forum and thread.

1) Downloaded and installed the 10.7.2 Combo
2) Coulnd´t boot immediately, got stuck in the boot screen, so I re-installed the special Inspiron kexts, mentioned here, and started with Ignore Cache and -v (I was too lazy to look for the real problem, but I remember, it had something to do with the network and bluetooth, but I am not 100% sure! Sorry!)
3) Could finally boot, everything was still working, except a graphics glitch (resolution seems a bit off and it feels a bit sluggish. Reinstalling the NVidea kext didn't help!)
4) Tried iCloud, without luck, but finally made it possible with an older version of Chameleon and modifying my smbios.plist with Chameleon Wizard: Serial etc.

Thanks to this forum and insanelymac:

To get FaceTime and iCloud working, I used this boot file for my Chameleon boot loader.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &start=100

Just copy to your root directory and reboot.

I can confirm that FaceTime and iCloud are indeed working! But Find My Mac doesn't, because of the missing recovery partition, probably no fix for that?!

So, my machine is working as good as before, except for the graphics, I would appreciate if anyone has an idea how to solve this. Full resolution (1400x900) seems to be there, but the graphic performance is not as responsive as before. Could be something else as well though, I don't know.

Another small info I have to share, as I asked myself about it a while ago.
It it about AirDrop ... My Wifi card is not supported, but I got it working thanks to this article in Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/article/162407/ ... y_mac.html

The change is a one-liner: Open Terminal and, at the command line, type: defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterface

It really is working, I have it enabled in the finder, but as I don´t have another Mac around, I am not able to test it!

Hope this helps ... If anyone needs any info in detail, feel free to ask!

Thanks to everyone ... Hope you are all well!

Hi, I followed the guide to install Lion on my 1520 with T9300 CPU and 8600mGT, but I am encountering the following panic:

I had success in booting the install drive twice somehow, but it froze up while installing. I am using the DSDT extracted from AIDA64 and patched with Mald0n's HPET and IRQ patch. I think DSDT is the problem.

Currently, I am running SL 10.6.8 and Windows 7 dual boot from a USB HDD and trying to install the Lion on a fresh HDD. I need help regarding DSDT and the panic issue. Thanks for any help in advance!

DSDT_unpatched.aml
DSDT.aml

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    20 KB · Views: 165
  • DSDT_unpatched.aml
    21.6 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back