Contribute
Register

Installing Lion on a Dell Inspiron 1720 / 1520 [VERSION 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just redid my USB Stick again. Again following the instructions to the letter.
No Luck. :(
Reading over the instructions, is there anything in them that is implied or assumed that I should know that maybe I don't?

So the problem is I put the USB stick in and it gives me just a blinking curser.

This same computer boots with other USB type bootable stuff.
I've also used the same USB stick to create bootable Chameleon recovery type deal to test it.
I've also tried two other USB sticks with the same result.
My Laptop is Dell 1720
The build I am doing the stick on is a Latitude D410 with Leopard on it.
I bought the Lion app on an iMac and transferred it to the Leopard build.

Thanks

Thanks, I did try that as well.
Gave up on the multi partition Lion Install boot stick.

I've now used the UniBeast 1.2 to make a USB stick using a Lion USB Stick to make my stick.
I added the Kexts etc from these instructions.
This is now able to boot and I've installed Lion. :)
I do the post part where I put the Kexts in and remove the AppleHDA.
I reboot the one last time with my USB Stick and am supposed to boot into my Lion install and I get this KP.
http://imgur.com/qiBsD
Tried arch=i386 -x -v
Thanks,

ok, so i have been trying to install lion on my Vostro 1500 with a core2duo t5470 using this tutorial and i am not able to intall it at all. It will not even let me get to the installation screen. I also have the x3100 graphics. Can anyone help me what kexts to use for this? I have formated my usb and redone everything about 3 times now and no go..

ok, i am trying as i write this. If i have issues or kp i will take pics and post. Thanks guys.

edit: on post above, how do i get unibeast 1.1? I made the usb again and when i try to put netkas kext, it will not let me. "kext cannot be replaced because its invisible".....

2nd edit: nvm..found out how

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp29 ... 668fbf.jpg

Hi All,

Thank you for the guide.

I followed the guide and made USB stick.

But i have an error after the installer is loaded. It is written "". i attached the log.

My Spec:

CPU: T7250
RAM: 3GB 667Mhz DDR
Graphic: NVidia 8600 256mb

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Installer Log 26-Apr-2012.txt
    55.9 KB · Views: 174
Aloha !

This is a very helpful guide, thanks :)

I have a 1720 running a nearly vanilla 10.7.3 (only AppleACPIPlatform, IOPCIFamily & AppleHDA are modified in /S/L/E). There are plenty of kexts in /E/E as well of course too but we won't count these ;)

Only one issue that I can't seem to beat ...

Whenever I wake from hibernation, I get an error about USB devices not being properly ejected in the case where I had a USB drive or stick in one of the USB ports prior to sleep.

I can see in IORegistry that the webcam is impacted as well as there is an old entry for it in red and a duplicate new entry in black after wake. In fact, I will get a new red entry after every wake. So this seems to be a widespread USB bus sleep/wake issue.

Also, I have had this exact same problem with every Dell laptop that I have converted. So far, an Inspiron 2200 (2GHz Pentium M), Inspiron 15r n5110 (2.2GHz i7) and now an Inspiron 1720 (2.0Ghz T7300 C2D). All of these hibernate properly other than the USB eject error, pop-up button OK, lid close sleep/open wake fully working etc..

What's up with this ?

I know about the sleepwatcher solution but would like to solve this more elegantly than that.

Has everybody else on this forum got sleep/wake working w/o the USB eject error ?

Thanks on advance,

bisk

Aloha again.

It turns out that updating to 10.7.4 solves the USB unmount/remount sleep/wake error.

So the last thing left is that this 1720 will not completely shut down. Restart is mostly OK but never shutdown. I've tried the DSDT/_PST mod, OpenHaltRestart.kext and EvOReboot.kext all with failure.

Anybody ?

Anyway, looks like another winner and thanks to Ellinc and everybody else.

Rock on !!!

Hello

Using Dell Inspiron 1720 - I followed the instructions and unable to get to the installer. There is a kernel panic with

"No HPETs available" CPU configured incorrectly

Please help me fix this!

Thanks
Tim

xron said:
Good you were able to boot!

In my case, trackpad didn't work as well, haven't used the Kexts from Kext.com, but will try. I had to install the Keyboard Kext to S/L/E with Kext Utility to make Trackpad working, just in case it won't work otherwise.

Hope it works!!!

Great forum, thanks for all the help and info!

Hi Xron,

Pls tell me how you got keyboard and trackpad work?

I can't get these work.

BR,

harchigan

Hi All,,

Please help me out,my notebook Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 :
- intel i5 3210m
- NVDIA GT630m
- 4GB RAM

I want to dual boot with win7 and os lion X, please help me to give me the step for instaling..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back